Re: Family name/Patronymic Help

  • klezmer101
    Message 1 of 465 , Oct 2, 2000
      Goldcrook, looks like you've been doing your
      homework as far as US paperwork is concerned! Did your
      relatives vote in elections? If so, see MSG 188 for a
      useful trick in finding the key Naturalization papers
      that may contain better information.<br><br>Anyway,
      assuming this stone was turned, you have a very
      interesting and confusing problem on your hands. No
      insightful help from me, just some clues:<br><br>1) Assume
      the death/tombstone information is incorrect, unless
      proven otherwise. If no survivors knew who the parents
      were for the death certificate, why would they know
      the right information to put on the tombstone? I
      generally go by the rule of thumb that the farther the
      record is from the birth, the more chance for
      inaccuracy. Clearly his name on the tombstone should have
      been Avrum, not Motl. Sometimes, if no one knows the
      correct Hebrew lineage, the funeral director will make
      something up, using either Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob
      (Israel) as the Hebrew patronymic.<br><br>2) Ander or
      Andre would be a Russified version of the name
      "Alexander" (which is relatively rare in Eastern European
      Jews) or the name "Sender" (an abbreviation of
      Alexander, which is really, really common in Eastern
      European Jews).<br><br>3) Rules for patronymics in
      Russian: suffix "-ovich" means son of; suffix "-ovna"
      means daughter of. For abbreviation purposes, sometimes
      you will see Russian records with "-ov" so as not to
      pass judgement on whether it is a male or female's
      father.<br><br>4) Goldgleet means "Gold litharge", in other words,
      it means someone who makes Lead Oxide, a yellow
      pigment used in paints, dyes and colored glass. This was
      an unusual occupation, something that maybe you can
      trace in the old country.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003