Jews in Palestine around 600 CE

    Message 1 of 465 , Jun 15, 2000
      The book is at home and I'm overworked and fried,
      but, anyhow, I have this book (purchased from the
      history section at Barnes & Noble) about Jews in their
      own country in Late Antiquity, or about the time of
      the destruction of the Second Temple (I think this is
      around 140 CE) and the seventh century, when the Muslims
      took over.<br><br>Maybe the guy who wrote the book had
      some kind of Zionist ax to grind, but he gives an
      interesting argument based on archaeological evidence and
      texts about the possibility that as much as 25 percent
      of the population of ancient Palestine may have been
      Jewish well up into the seventh century, and a bunch
      more may have been Samaritans. (Samaritans are really
      Jews who think that G-d handed his laws to them on
      their mountain rather than our mountain. They had huge
      arguments with the ancient mainstream Jews, but, like the
      Karaites, a group that came along a bit later and also drew
      the wrath of the rabbis, they were really as Jewish
      as kosher for Passover matzoh.)<br><br>I still have
      to read some more history books to find out when the
      Jewish population really got chased away, but it seems
      to me that a fairly high percentage of modern-day
      Jews could be descended from ancestors who lived in
      Palestine as late as the 600s.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13 6:34 AM