12th Cousins

    Message 1 of 465 , Jun 15, 2000
      The new JewishGen DNA special interest group now
      seems to be swamped with a bunch of super-basic
      questions about Y-chromosome and maternal mitochondrial
      genetic testing. <br><br>(Basically, you can't use the Y
      to figure out any connections through female
      ancestors, because women don't have Y chromosomes. You
      probably can't use mitochondria for male connections
      because, as far as scientists can tell, it is extremely,
      extremely rare that people get any noticeable amount of
      mitochondria genes from their fathers. (Mitochondria are
      little engines that help power up your
      cells.).)<br><br>Anyhow, the group is still a good group to check out,
      because the JewishGen DNA project is the best way to
      figure out if we're related. The way to visit it without
      bothering to sign up for the SIG is to go to
      the SIG message database.<br><br>Once you're in the
      SIG message database, simply search for messages in
      the DNA SIG without typing in any subject. Once you
      do that, the computer will spit out a bunch of DNA
      SIG messages that you can read.<br><br>Cool SIG
      factoid: someone on the SIG cited an article from
      Avotaynu, a Jewish genealogy magazine, that reported that
      most Ashkenazic Jews alive today probably have at
      least one common ancestor with all other living
      Ashkenazic Jews within the past 300 years or so.<br><br>I
      haven't seen the original article, and it seems to me
      that the guy who wrote it may not have done an
      adequate job of allowing for cousin-cousin and uncle-niece
      marriages. <br><br>I'm also skeptical about any Jewish
      population estimates based on anything other than current
      genetic data that includes both Jews and non-Jews who
      appear to be partly descended from Jews. It seems, for
      example, that there could have been a bunch of Jews
      (Jewish Jews; not just Khazarian Jews) in Iraq and the
      Ukraine that no one in the West even knew
      about.<br><br>But, still, it seems likely that a high percentage of
      us must have common ancestors within the past 1,000
      years or so.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003