More on Genealogy via DNA

  • klezmer101
    Message 1 of 465 , May 31, 2000
      Interesting article this month in Avotaynu
      Journal. Dr. Harry Ostrer reports some preliminary results
      from his Human Genetics Program concerning Jewish
      origins. A summary is:<br>1) Eastern European (Ashkenazi),
      North African (Sephardi) and Middle Eastern (Oriental)
      Jews are clearly related. Moreover, they are related
      to their semitic neighbors, supporting the idea of
      Middle Eastern origin of almost all Jewish
      peoples.<br>2) Ashkenazi Jewish outbreeding estimates from the
      DNA is insufficient to support a large Khazar
      connection.<br>3) Cohanim lineage can be clearly demonstrated
      through markers on the Y (male) chromosome. Moreover,
      these markers are found among the Lemba (South African)
      tribal group who claim descendency from Jews of
      Yemen.<br>4) Unique Sephardim markers are found in isolated
      Christian communities in Latin America, supporting the idea
      that Conversos settled in these areas.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003