Re: Question about Jewish Names, etc.

    Message 1 of 465 , May 30, 2000
      >Omelianchik and Onodi are Jewish. What
      about<br>>Slater (from Australia)? I was also thinking<br>>that
      a gymnast by the name of Strazheva may be
      >Jewish, but that name<br><br>Plenty of Jews have
      "non-Jewish" surnames, and plenty of people who aren't Jewish
      have surnames that sound Jewish (example: me), but I
      don't think that any of the names you're mentioning
      sound particularly Jewish.<br><br>If a Bell can be
      Jewish, I guess a Slater could be Jewish, too, but Slater
      is not a "Jewish name."<br><br>>Also, I hope this
      non-PC question doesn't <br>>offend anyone, but how
      reliable is it to guess <br>>at a person's Jewishness
      by a certain facial<br>>look and/or facial
      features?<br><br>In all fairness, of course lots of Jews "look
      Jewish" -- in other words, Mediterranean. But a huge
      percentage don't, and I'm sure there are plenty of
      Christians throughout Europe who look extremely
      Mediterranean. So, you may get lucky with a few guesses, but I
      don't think the results will be worth all the flames
      you get from people who get upset by the suggestion
      that some people "look Jewish."<br><br>In general, the
      best way to figure out which gymnasts are Jewish is
      probably to ask any Jewish amateur gymnasts, amateur-level
      coaches or sports writers you can find.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003