New to Group

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2008
      I am trying to find out what the shetyl (sp) is for Novgorod, Russia.

      Yes, I have been to Jewishgen.org many times.

      Here is the situation - all the paperwork I have seen on the family
      says Novgorod, russia. It was suggested that the family was from
      Ukraine. When I try to find the Jewish town of Novgorod on Jewish Gen
      I come up with about 35 towns for the shetyl! How am I supposed to
      know which one I am trying to find? I am frustrated.

      Can anyone help me with this?

      Linda In NC
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2008
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <lhendri479@...>
        wrote:

        > I am trying to find out what the shetyl (sp) is for Novgorod, Russia.
        >
        > Yes, I have been to Jewishgen.org many times.
        >
        > Here is the situation - all the paperwork I have seen on the family
        > says Novgorod, russia.

        My guess is if your relatives just put "Novgorod," they probably meant
        the big Novgorod in Northwestern Russia, not one of the little Novgorods.

        But I don't think the Jews were allowed to live in Novgorod till
        fairly late. So, your relatives might have gotten there from some
        place else.

        The ideal would be if you could find your relatives in a census or
        revision list for Novgorod, and that document would show where your
        relatives lived before they came to Novgorod.
      • Alan Gold
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2008
          welcome,
          check out more jewish genealogy at:

          http://www.jewishinternetsites.com

          > I am trying to find out what the shetyl (sp) is for
          > Novgorod, Russia.
          >
          > Yes, I have been to Jewishgen.org many times.
          >
          > Here is the situation - all the paperwork I have seen on
          > the family
          > says Novgorod, russia. It was suggested that the family
          > was from
          > Ukraine. When I try to find the Jewish town of Novgorod on
          > Jewish Gen
          > I come up with about 35 towns for the shetyl! How am I
          > supposed to
          > know which one I am trying to find? I am frustrated.
          >
          > Can anyone help me with this?
          >
          > Linda In NC

        • Linda
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2008
            > The ideal would be if you could find your relatives in a census or
            > revision list for Novgorod, and that document would show where your
            > relatives lived before they came to Novgorod.

            Where could I get to see a census or revision list for the above?

            Thanks - Linda In NC