Re: [Jewish Genealogy 2000] family names in Vilna, Grodno, Minsk, Opole, Ostrowiec Swietkrzyski

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
      I believe Bernstein is a Yiddish name, however I have not traced it yet past the mid 1800's
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, donna poissant <kapala_43@...> wrote:

      > Berstein is not a Russian name. I know my relatives
      > went to England first and changed their name to Fox so
      > who knows what it was before. My dad came down trough
      > Canada so did his brothers and Dad.
      > --- Mike <mikefish2@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The only names that I can somewhat connect to
      > > european places are;
      > > Fish- Opole, Poland
      > > Tannenbaum & Silverman- Ostrowiec Sietokrzyski &
      > > Radom Poland
      > > Kosloff (originally Koslovsky)- Vilna
      > > Bernstein- Minsk
      > > Goldman- Grodno
      > >
      > > Other names being researched;
      > > Ogrodnick, Schulman, Katz, Cassell (Kozisz?),
      > > Glickstein & Ravenich. If anyone sees a
      > > possible link, please let me know.
      > > Thanks,
      > > Mike
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > (Yahoo! ID required)
      > >

      > mailto:jewishgenealogy2000-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/
      category.php?category=shopping

    • donna poissant
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008
        Hunting Foxes is hard .
        Mine where Fox as well From Belaruse Minsk
        my grand father came over thru Canada worked in
        Reisners Deli in Quebec and Long Island. Left his wife
        and young Sam in Gorbii ( where the government
        buildings now stand) grandma wound up in prison and
        Sam sent to Siberia at 13 I think.
        I know how you feel.
        Kap
        --- Mike <mikefish2@...> wrote:

        > I believe Bernstein is a Yiddish name, however I
        > have not traced it yet past the mid 1800's
        > --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, donna
        > poissant <kapala_43@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Berstein is not a Russian name. I know my
        > relatives
        > > went to England first and changed their name to
        > Fox so
        > > who knows what it was before. My dad came down
        > trough
        > > Canada so did his brothers and Dad.
        > > --- Mike <mikefish2@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > The only names that I can somewhat connect to
        > > > european places are;
        > > > Fish- Opole, Poland
        > > > Tannenbaum & Silverman- Ostrowiec Sietokrzyski &
        > > > Radom Poland
        > > > Kosloff (originally Koslovsky)- Vilna
        > > > Bernstein- Minsk
        > > > Goldman- Grodno
        > > >
        > > > Other names being researched;
        > > > Ogrodnick, Schulman, Katz, Cassell (Kozisz?),
        > > > Glickstein & Ravenich. If anyone sees a
        > > > possible link, please let me know.
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Mike