Re: [Jewish Genealogy 2000] I'm New

  • Alan Gold
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2008
      welcome to the group.
      alan

      http://www.jewishinternetsites.com

      Rarose11@... wrote: I am not related to you.There is one question that I would ask you.I notice
      that you are looking for traub.My maiden name is Weintraub-so I am wondering
      if that name you are researching was at one time Weintraub!

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 28, 2008
        You did not answer my question of at one time was the name Weintraub?

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
          --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <zaida67@...> wrote:

          > Hi my name is Bob.
          > I am pleased to have been invited to join.

          Note: I'm busy with other stuff now and not a great moderator. If you
          want moderator powers, just ask. (Except that: if people start
          deleting, say, posts by real live members here just because they're
          talking about the weather or something a little off-topic, I'll revoke
          moderating powers. I want this group to delete ad spam and slander,
          but not to interfere with conversation.)

          Also: if people want to invite other people to come here, that's
          terrific. But note that this is a totally free group that's open to
          anyone into the topic. If someone gets, say, an e-mail asking you for
          money or making you go through an application process, that might be
          fishy.
        • zaida34
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
            HI,
            Sorry for late reply but I was down with the Flu.
            As a matter I am a moderator on 2 sites now NOT GENEALOGY.
            If you need help I would be only to happy to volunteer.
            Let me know.
            Bob
            --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, abell07030 <no_reply@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <zaida67@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi my name is Bob.
            > > I am pleased to have been invited to join.
            >
            > Note: I'm busy with other stuff now and not a great moderator. If you
            > want moderator powers, just ask. (Except that: if people start
            > deleting, say, posts by real live members here just because they're
            > talking about the weather or something a little off-topic, I'll revoke
            > moderating powers. I want this group to delete ad spam and slander,
            > but not to interfere with conversation.)
            >
            > Also: if people want to invite other people to come here, that's
            > terrific. But note that this is a totally free group that's open to
            > anyone into the topic. If someone gets, say, an e-mail asking you for
            > money or making you go through an application process, that might be
            > fishy.

          • zaida34
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
              Sorry for late reply I was down sick.
              No only for Taub sorry.

            • Rarose11@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
                Thank you for your offer of help for I have several brick walls in my
                research.I will get back to you.

                48)

              • Alan Gold
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 10, 2008
                  welcome to the list.
                  also, if you want some great links to jewish genealogy, check out:

                  http://www.jewishinternetsites.com

                  zaida34 <zaida67@...> wrote: Sorry for late reply I was down sick.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 11, 2008
                    --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, Alan Gold <wojjis@...> wrote:

                    > welcome to the list.
                    > also, if you want some great links to jewish genealogy, check out:

                    One thing to keep in mind is that this is a really small group. I
                    think the thing to do is to try to make contacts on JewishGen,
                    Ancestry message boards, etc., then come here when you want to hold
                    actual conversations without worrying about whether you've dotted
                    every I and crossed every T necessary to get past the moderators.

                    Example: I started this group because 95 percent of the messages I
                    tried to post to JewishGen got bounced. The last straw was when I
                    tried to post a Belarusian Jewish DNA question, and it was bounced
                    because DNA testing was ruled as being irrelevant to Jewish genealogy.
                    Then, a few months later, JewishGen announced its relationship with
                    FamilyTree DNA, and genetic genealogy suddenly was relevant to
                    JewishGen mailing lists. Argh.

                    Anyhow: if anyone here wants moderator powers, just ask. I've tried
                    making a bunch of people moderators. My only request would be that, if
                    you have the power to delete messages, you just delete ad spam and
                    that sort of thing, not people into Jewish genealogy who also want to
                    talk about the World Series or a giant hurricane or something of
                    interest that's a bit off-topic.