Slonim Sinagogue, Belarus

  • belshtetl
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
      Dear Friends,

      My name is Yuri Dorn. For the past 10 years I am
      being a President of the Union of Religious Jewish
      Congregation in the Republic of Belarus, and
      simultaneously I am coordinating the work of Jewish
      Heritage Research Group in Belarus.
      The reason I am contacting you is to express my deep
      concern for preservation of the main choral synagogue
      in Slonim. This building was built in 1642. It
      survived the Holocaust, but current condition of this
      building make me think that it is leaving through the
      second Holocaust. Wall paintings are still there
      inside of this building. The building was not lived in
      for more than 10 years, it is not guarded. There is a
      fence, but it is broken so it makes entrance to
      synagogue available to everybody who does not have a
      shelter at night or serves as a place to socialize and
      drink alcoholic beverages. We are extremely concerned
      about further fate of this building and we would like
      to preserve it for future generations of the Jewish
      nation.
      If you'd like to get more information on this subject
      please feel free to contact me.
      In addition, please, visit our website www.jhrgbelarus.org
      Under "Jewish heritage" section you can find some recent pictures
      of Slonim synagogue building.

      Best regards,

      Yuri Dorn , President of URJC,
      Coordinator of Jewish Heritage
      Research Group in Belarus
      220002 Minsk
      13B Daumana St.
      tel/375-173-345612
      fax/375-173-343360
      www.jhrgbelarus.org
    • kap
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2007
        Yuri,
        Have a Question.
        My grand mother Sarah and her son Sam where arrested soon after the
        Bulchavic take over. She sent to prison he to Siberia.
        Do you know whom to contact for records,of that Turbulant time.
        I do not know her name but her sons and husband adopted the name FOX.
        My grandfather was a comodities broker. Bought cropt before they
        where grown by testing the grasses and trees.
        All I know is the boys always wanted to go with him in the late
        spring. And they lived in the Shettal where the Government buildings
        now stand.
        Kapala_43
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "belshtetl"
        <belshtetl@...> wrote:

        > Dear Friends,
        >
        > My name is Yuri Dorn. For the past 10 years I am
        > being a President of the Union of Religious Jewish
        > Congregation in the Republic of Belarus, and
        > simultaneously I am coordinating the work of Jewish
        > Heritage Research Group in Belarus.
        > The reason I am contacting you is to express my deep
        > concern for preservation of the main choral synagogue
        > in Slonim. This building was built in 1642. It
        > survived the Holocaust, but current condition of this
        > building make me think that it is leaving through the
        > second Holocaust. Wall paintings are still there
        > inside of this building. The building was not lived in
        > for more than 10 years, it is not guarded. There is a
        > fence, but it is broken so it makes entrance to
        > synagogue available to everybody who does not have a
        > shelter at night or serves as a place to socialize and
        > drink alcoholic beverages. We are extremely concerned
        > about further fate of this building and we would like
        > to preserve it for future generations of the Jewish
        > nation.
        > If you'd like to get more information on this subject
        > please feel free to contact me.
        > In addition, please, visit our website www.jhrgbelarus.org
        > Under "Jewish heritage" section you can find some recent pictures
        > of Slonim synagogue building.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Yuri Dorn , President of URJC,
        > Coordinator of Jewish Heritage
        > Research Group in Belarus
        > 220002 Minsk
        > 13B Daumana St.
        > tel/375-173-345612
        > fax/375-173-343360
        > www.jhrgbelarus.org

      • JHRG of Belarus
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
          Hello,

          Surname Fox is not mentioned in the list of Jews
          repressed by the Communists in Belarus. I want to tell
          you that the lists concerning repressed Jews that we
          have are not complete. It’s possible to try to apply
          to special archive where such files are kept.

          Best regards,

          Yuri Dorn

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2007
            hi again
            what special Archive? Where? Who is in charge?
            kap

            mailto:jewishgenealogy2000-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com