Real Jewish Genealogy Research

  • wldwoman1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
      For those of you who are really interested in Jewish Geneology you
      should be looking at the JewishGen website (www.jewishgen.org) and join
      one or more of the SIGs (special interest groups) to receive daily e-
      mails in digest form for the areas you are interested in researching.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2007
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, wldwoman1 <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > For those of you who are really interested in Jewish Geneology you
        > should be looking at the JewishGen website (www.jewishgen.org) and join
        > one or more of the SIGs (special interest groups) to receive daily e-
        > mails in digest form for the areas you are interested in researching.

        JewishGen -- http://www.jewishgen.org -- is an amazing resource, and,
        obviously, anyone interested in Jewish genealogy should spend a lot of
        time there.

        The problem, though, is that it's very hard to get a post past the
        moderators. I started this group partly because I completely gave up
        on the idea of ever being able actually get a post onto the Belarus
        SIG mailing list.

        My suggestion would be to start off making contacts at JewishGen,
        then, if you want to discuss things through a public Web forum
        (because, for example, you don't want to give someone your private
        e-mail address, or you think that you're talking about something that
        would be of interest to a lot of people), come here to hold your
        ongoing discussions, or discussions of topics that would be chased
        off-line by the JewishGen SIG or general mailing list moderators.

        Example: suppose you want to talk about the qualifications of various
        genealogy researchers. You can't do that at all at JewishGen, but you
        can do that here, as long as you do it in a polite way. At JewishGen,
        I don't think you can even post about how great a researcher is, let
        alone criticism of a researcher.

        Also: here, you're welcome to carry one conversations about your
        particular family.