932Re: BelaRusse Family Tree

    Dec 5, 2006
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "kap" <kapala_43@...> wrote:

      > How do you find out about the post revolution exidis from the area
      > especially when the borders closed in 1910 or so.
      > I know the Comunists kept excellent records as did the Nazis though not
      > for public knowledge.

      I guess the WWII records are available from Yad Vashem or the U.S.
      Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the newer records might be concealed by
      privacy laws.

      For WWI to WWII records:

      To U.S. -- Ellis Island records.

      To South Africa, South America and Australia and other countries that
      received the emigrants -- look under the names of individual countries
      and regions at
      http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/

      Also, it looks as if the Mormon Family History Center in New York has
      emigration records for many countries other than Russia/Soviet Union:
      http://www.jgsny.org/fhc.htm

      Maybe you could try calling them to ask who you call in the big Mormon
      genealogy library in Salt Lake City to ask why they don't have
      emigration records for the former Soviet Union. Maybe someone there
      could at least tell you where the records are located.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic