485Frischman

    Jun 3, 2002
      Someone asked through email about the surname Frischman.

      I'm not sure, but it seems to me that this might be a name that means
      "person from Friesland," which is a quirky old province of the
      Netherlands.

      Frisch is a world used to describe the people and language of
      Friesland.

      Maybe having this name is a sign that your first ancestor with the
      name was someone who worked as a trader in Friesland and maybe other
      regions along the northern European coast in the Middle Ages.

      On the other hand, the Frischmans listed in the JewishGen Family
      Finder seem to come from all over Central Europe. Maybe this means
      that there's somewhere else where Frischmans can come from, and/or
      that the Dutch Frischmans followed the trade routes to Central Europe
      and ended up there. Or that I'm completely wrong.

      Suggestion: try to find some men who are (apparently) unrelated
      Frischmans and get them to participate in the Family Tree DNA project.
      Then, you will know for sure whether the Frischmans are all related.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic