Questions from Ephesians 2:8-9

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2009
      8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
      9 not by works, so that no one can boast. (NIV from Bible Gateway website)

      8 By this undeserved kindness, indeed, YOU have been saved through faith; and this not owing to YOU, it is God's gift.
      9 No, it is not owing to works, in order that no man should have ground for boasting. (NWT from Watchtower website)

      The questions:

      1). According to this passage, what are we saved by and through?

      2). When the word 'gift' is used to describe our salvation (our deliverance from the penalty of sin), what does that imply?

      3). If we could earn salvation (everlasting life) through our good works, would it still be a gift?

      4). Just because it is free, does that mean it's worthless? Why or why not?

      5). Why do people try to earn salvation?

      6). According to verse 9, if we could earn salvation, then what might we be tempted to do?