Hello from Dhahran, Saudi

  • Darrell
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2007
      Just finishing up a 2 week job on a barge in the Persian Gulf. Right
      now I'm in Dhahran waiting for my flight back to the States on Sunday.

      I thought that I would give you guys something to consider until my
      return.

      Sincerely,

      Darrell

      Kingdom Ministry September 2007

      Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorse independent groups of
      Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or
      debate? -Matt 24:45,47
      No, it does not. And jet,in various parts of the world, a few
      associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent
      research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent
      group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the
      accuracy of the New World Translation. Others explore scientific
      subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web sites and chat
      rooms for purpose of exchanging and debating their views. They also
      held conferences to present their findings and to supplement what is
      provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature...

      http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/21912/2001532577224620787_rs.jpg
    • donn reese
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2007
        Hi Darrell,

        Glad to hear the work is wrapping up. This article
        has made the rounds. Some of the concern is that we
        are returning to some policies presented around 1980
        when Ray Franz from the Governing Body left and was
        eventually disfellowshipped. After 25+ years of slow
        progress from the period when some important research
        has yielded some important doctrinal changes it could
        all be placed on the back burner again.

        Fortunately there are studious theological
        progressives
        on the Writing and Teaching Committees who reach out
        to the Brothers and Sisters involved in academics, so
        I am hoping things won't get onesided and several
        theological positions will continue to be published in
        their official journals.

        Donn

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 16, 2007
          Hi Donn,

          Thanks, it's nice to be back.

          More than anything else, I guess this is the main reason that I
          never became a Witness. I never could limit my study to literature
          produced mainly by the Watchtower.

          Though, I forgotten most of it now, I studied Greek and found it
          very satisfying to attempt to read the NT in the original language.
          I've also studied the various theories on the compliation of the
          Bible. Although I can't say that I'm an expert on the subject, I've
          studied enough that I find the Watchtower's literature lacking in
          many areas that I find interesting. For instance, I find the
          theories behind the synoptic gospels very interesting. However, the
          Watchtower's commentary on the subject is very brief and limited.

          Although, I don't think that Witnesses will admit it, I'm sure that
          there are some who also find that the Watchtower literature somewhat
          lacking in certain areas where they may interest.

          It seems a shame though that "The True Religion" finds it necessary
          to limit its members in such a manner.

          Sincerely,

          Darrell

          --- In jehovahswitnessesgathering@yahoogroups.com, donn reese
          <tlkreese@...> wrote:

          > Hi Darrell,
          >
          > Glad to hear the work is wrapping up. This article
          > has made the rounds. Some of the concern is that we
          > are returning to some policies presented around 1980
          > when Ray Franz from the Governing Body left and was
          > eventually disfellowshipped. After 25+ years of slow
          > progress from the period when some important research
          > has yielded some important doctrinal changes it could
          > all be placed on the back burner again.
          >
          > Fortunately there are studious theological
          > progressives
          > on the Writing and Teaching Committees who reach out
          > to the Brothers and Sisters involved in academics, so
          > I am hoping things won't get onesided and several
          > theological positions will continue to be published in
          > their official journals.
          >
          > Donn
          >
          > --- Darrell <dldavis007@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Just finishing up a 2 week job on a barge in the
          > > Persian Gulf. Right
          > > now I'm in Dhahran waiting for my flight back to the
          > > States on Sunday.
          > >
          > > I thought that I would give you guys something to
          > > consider until my
          > > return.
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > >
          > > Darrell
          > >

          > > Kingdom Ministry September 2007
          > >
          > > Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorse
          > > independent groups of
          > > Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural
          > > research or
          > > debate? -Matt 24:45,47
          > > No, it does not. And jet,in various parts of the
          > > world, a few
          > > associates of our organization have formed groups to
          > > do independent
          > > research on Bible-related subjects. Some have
          > > pursued an independent
          > > group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to
          > > analyze the
          > > accuracy of the New World Translation. Others
          > > explore scientific
          > > subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web
          > > sites and chat
          > > rooms for purpose of exchanging and debating their
          > > views. They also
          > > held conferences to present their findings and to
          > > supplement what is
          > > provided at our Christian meetings and through our
          > > literature...
          > >

          > http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/21912/2001532577224620787_rs.jpg

          _______________
          today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

        • donn reese
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2007
            Welcome home,

            As a collective group of Christians along with the
            leadership we need to be planning for the next 50-100
            years in terms of vision and goals which is very much
            integrated to academics.

            We observe that in other religious communities they
            have religious schools of higher learning, colleges
            and universities. They are placing their theology in
            an arena to be researched and dissected from an
            historical and contemporary perspective, we need to do
            the same. We need to be teaching our young minds Greek
            and Hebrew and Aramaic. We need to be involved in
            Archeology, geology, biology as they all relate to the
            Biblical record.

            For those who are presently involved in these
            endeavors
            I would encourage them to keep on, publish your
            findings, place them before the scholarly community to
            be critiqued. This is how progress is made.

            Sincerely

            Donn

            http://farechase.yahoo.com/
          • Darrell
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 17, 2007
              Donn,

              Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

              Are you sure you're a Witness? Perhaps I'm going to have to change
              my preconcieved notions of Witnesses.

              Would you consider yourself rather liberal as far as the typical
              Witnesses go?

              I don't mean to be critical, its just that I'm not used to such a
              progressive attitude. Its like a breath of fresh air.

              <tlkreese@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > all be placed on the back burner again.
              > > >
              > > > Fortunately there are studious theological
              > > > progressives
              > > > on the Writing and Teaching Committees who reach
              > > out
              > > > to the Brothers and Sisters involved in academics,
              > > so
              > > > I am hoping things won't get onesided and several
              > > > theological positions will continue to be
              > > published in
              > > > their official journals.
              > > >
              > > > Donn

              > > the

              > > Scriptural
              > > groups to
              > > Web
              > > their
              > > our
              > > > >

              > http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/21912/2001532577224620787_rs.jpg

              > > _______________
              > > > Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network

              _______________
              Yahoo! FareChase.
              > http://farechase.yahoo.com/

            • donn reese
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2007
                Well I was the last time I checked... :D

                But yes, I'd put myself in the LWL camp
                (Left Wing Liberal).

                Progressive in that I want to preserve the basic
                essentials of the Truth and to do that we need to
                avail ourselves of all the scholastic disciplines.
                We have to be willing to put it all to the test,
                otherwise its all just hypothesis and opinion.

                Donn

                === message truncated ===

              • Darrell
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 17, 2007
                  Donn,

                  I think it would be great if the Watchtower/Witnesses choose to go
                  in that direction. Even though I disagree with some of basic
                  beliefs, I at least understand the logic behind most of them and
                  would have to respect the Witnesses right to believe as they like.

                  If there were one belief that I wish would change it would have to
                  be the refusal to accept blood. But, I guess if an adult member of
                  any religious organization chooses to refuse blood, who am I to say
                  they shouldn't. The children on the other hand are a different
                  matter.

                  Unfortunately, I don't think the Watchtower will allow things to
                  progress in this direction, simply because such a move would allow
                  much more freedom of expression and therefore considerably less
                  unity among Witnesses.

                  I've always felt that the unity among Witnesses had an imposed and
                  unnatural feel to it. It just seems that there is very little
                  wiggle room as far as beliefs (Sept KM for example) are concerned if
                  you want to remain a Witness. So, it follows that Witnesses will of
                  course be united in mind.

                  Force unity is not unity in real sense.

                  Hopefully though I'm wrong. If there are many more Witnesses with
                  your attitude then things will progress in what I would consider a
                  more positive direction.

                  <tlkreese@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > they
                  > > > have religious schools of higher learning,
                  > > colleges
                  > > > and universities. They are placing their theology
                  > > in
                  > > > an arena to be researched and dissected from an
                  > > > historical and contemporary perspective, we need
                  > > to do
                  > > > the same. We need to be teaching our young minds
                  > > Greek
                  > > > and Hebrew and Aramaic. We need to be involved in
                  > > > Archeology, geology, biology as they all relate to
                  > > the
                  > > > Biblical record.
                  > > >
                  > > > For those who are presently involved in these
                  > > > endeavors
                  > > > I would encourage them to keep on, publish your
                  > > > findings, place them before the scholarly
                  > > community to
                  > > > be critiqued. This is how progress is made.

                  someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.