RIP: Ralph Patt, Guitarist

  • Tom Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
      I found out this morning that one of the great gentlemen of the Yahoo jazz group, Ralph Patt, passed away on

      October 6th. I spoke to his wife, Marlene, at length.

      I was probably one of the few list members who knew that Ralph had been battling kidney cancer. He didn't want me to make a general announcement. Marlene told me that his kidneys were actually improving toward the end, but the cancer had spread to other areas, and he decided last summer to forego additional intervention. At about that time, the Pratts opted for at-home hospice care.

      Marlene was trained as a nurse, and I suspect that her expertise contributed to extending his life. He was diagnosed in 2007.

      She told me they met in high school and married soon after she got her degree. At about the same time, Ralph

      graduated in geology from the University of Pittsburgh. He joined the army so that he could play in the US Army

      Band and study guitar. He was stationed in NYC. Among his teachers were Barry Galbraith, Gunther Schuller and Joe Negri. His family disapproved of a music career, and it wasn't until he did a solo concert (as a recruitment tool) that his dad finally conceded that his son might have a career in music. Ralph had largely hidden his talent from his family, and they were later amazed at his proficiency!

      Ralph was active on the music scene in NYC from the early 50s, at a time when there were over 100 working guitarists in the city, to the mid-60s when the scene had dramatically changed. He then decided to change careers and became a geological consultant to the nuclear energy industry. During the 50s, Ralph played with the Neal Hefti and Les/Larry Elgart orchestras. He was also in the orchestra pit playing for numerous Broadway shows, in part because his parents could relate to that style of music and enjoyed attending the performances.

      His amazing generosity to our group was well-known. He spent many hours compiling MP3 files of historically important jazz guitar recordings and freely shared them with the group. His website includes a section - the "Vanilla Book" - devoted to chord changes on over 400 jazz standards!

      I asked Marlene if group members could send their condolences and reminiscences to her, and she said she would welcome them. She admits she's not very tech-savvy, which is why she didn't send us an announcement of Ralph's passing. Send emails, with subject heading "Condolences," to:

      ralphpatt@...

      Incidentally, some jazz guitar devotees have told Marlene that they will maintain and continue to pay for Ralph's website:

      http://www.ralphpatt.com

      I told Marlene that I couldn't get over Ralph's selfless devotion to the jazz guitar community. She replied that his association with the Yahoo group, as well as the development of his website, his occasional gigs with like-minded musicians in the Portland area, the digital transfer of his recordings, and his more recent project - making available again the arpeggio book he authored with Chuck Wayne - all kept him going after his cancer diagnosis in 2007.

      I asked about his phenomenal jazz guitar record collection. Marlene said she kept a few of her favorites, and the rest were given to a guitarist friend, who in turn parceled them out to young students. Ralph would have loved that.

      Best to all,

      Tom Williams

    • akmbirch
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
        Incredibly sad news. Ralph Patt was generous in the extreme with his contributions, time and his posts in the Yahoo group. He was a long time member of the group, right from the early days, and although I never met him personally, we did email correspond a number of times. His website was extremely useful to many of us, and he hipped many players to jazz guitarists whose recordings were no longer available. He will be missed. My condolences and commiserations to his family and friends. Thanks Ralph for everything.

        Alisdair

        --
        Alisdair MacRae Birch
        Guitarist/Bassist/Educator/Arranger
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
          Very sad news. Ralph was one of the good guys, and in every way. He's in
          God's hands now, and there he will be safe and well cared for.

          My condolences and sympathies to his loved ones, with all prayers for
          their future happiness.

          Thank you Ralph, for all that you are.

          warmest regards,
          Bobby
        • John Amato
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
            Ralph Patt was a great asset to not only this group but all students of the form ... and he will continue in that capacity with his "Vanilla Book"
            and his web site continuing. My connection with Ralph was one of admiration and in reference to the short-runned reprinting of Chuck Wayne's
            Arpeggio book -- which he had taken on with no profit -- purely out of the love for sharing the knowledge and mutual love of the art.

            I'd say Ralph contributed more to music in general by his unselfish generosity. His selflessness and concern for young learners was borne
            of much thoughtfulness -- and it exceeds him as many have benefited).

            My condolences to his wife and family.

            Best Regards,
            JAmato

          • JVegaTrio@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
              Ralph Patt was a knowledgeable, kind, and sharing person,
              who sought to expand awareness about jazz and jazz guitar.
              His generosity was quite a rarity, and greatly appreciated.

              My sincerest condolences to his wife and family. It was a
              privilege to have known Ralph through this forum.

              Cheers,
              JV

              Juan Vega

            • Theslammer@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                Horrible News

                Ralph was a very generous and giving man to all of us. He will be
                remembered fondly and missed greatly.

              • Chin Yaik Chee
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                  My condelences to his family. Very encouraging in his comments and very generous in his musical contributions. His page has tone of tunes and backing tracks. Very selfless person and a great musician no doubt.

                  Kind Regards,

                  Chee.

                • jack82957@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                    --- In jazz_guitar@yahoogroups.com, "akmbirch" <akmbirch@...> wrote:

                    > Incredibly sad news. Ralph Patt was generous in the extreme with his contributions, time and his posts in the Yahoo group. He was a long time member of the group, right from the early days, and although I never met him personally, we did email correspond a number of times. His website was extremely useful to many of us, and he hipped many players to jazz guitarists whose recordings were no longer available. He will be missed. My condolences and commiserations to his family and friends. Thanks Ralph for everything.
                    >
                    > Alisdair

                    Sad to hear about Ralph Patt. bummer.

                  • rjf622000
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                      This is indeed sad news. I can't add too much more to what has already been said except to say that Ralph was a real gentleman. We e-mailed off list a few times a while back and his somewhat quiet, helpful and unassuming character came though even over e-mail.

                      My condolences to the Patt family and friends.

                      Rob

                      --- In jazz_guitar@yahoogroups.com, Tom Williams <tomwil110548@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      > Incidentally, some jazz guitar devotees have told Marlene that they will maintain and continue to pay for Ralph's website:
                      >
                      > http://www.ralphpatt.com
                      >
                      > I told Marlene that I couldn't get over Ralph's selfless devotion to the jazz guitar community. She replied that his association with the Yahoo group, as well as the development of his website, his occasional gigs with like-minded musicians in the Portland area, the digital transfer of his recordings, and his more recent project - making available again the arpeggio book he authored with Chuck Wayne - all kept him going after his cancer diagnosis in 2007.
                      >
                      > I asked about his phenomenal jazz guitar record collection. Marlene said she kept a few of her favorites, and the rest were given to a guitarist friend, who in turn parceled them out to young students. Ralph would have loved that.

                    • Brian Kelly
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                        This is sad news for me. I got to know Ralph in the last few years through another friend of mine who worked with him in New York many years ago. He was a truly lovely person. Very interesting and very,very smart. Someone should do a feature article on him in Just Jazz Guitar or somewhere like that.

                        To the people who knew him personally he will be missed immensely.

                        Brian Kelly

> [...]

                        > Incidentally, some jazz guitar devotees have told Marlene that they will maintain and continue to pay for Ralph's website:
                        >
                        > http://www.ralphpatt.com
                        >
                        > I told Marlene that I couldn't get over Ralph's selfless devotion to the jazz guitar community. She replied that his association with the Yahoo group, as well as the development of his website, his occasional gigs with like-minded musicians in the Portland area, the digital transfer of his recordings, and his more recent project - making available again the arpeggio book he authored with Chuck Wayne - all kept him going after his cancer diagnosis in 2007.
                        >
                        > I asked about his phenomenal jazz guitar record collection. Marlene said she kept a few of her favorites, and the rest were given to a guitarist friend, who in turn parceled them out to young students. Ralph would have loved that.

                      • Jeff Shirkey
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                          Ditto to everything that has been said about Ralph to this point.
                          Absolutely a first-class gentleman, and as generous with his time and
                          knowledge as they come. I am very sad to hear the news.

                          Peace, Ralph.
                        • Jo�o Pedro Rodrigues
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 13, 2010
                            Besides all that has been said, there is a couple of things that made me know some of Ralph Patt work. The Vanilla book, which is for me the right direction to learn and the clips he shared with us all. I have a folder named Ralph Patt with all those jewels, because they are impossible to find anywhere else...

                            Also the organization of tunes according to changes, very smart.

                            He should be known as the innovator and genius he was, just check the web site.

                          • jasonmatta
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 3 3:22 AM
                              --- In jazz_guitar@yahoogroups.com, "Jo�o Pedro Rodrigues" <joao.rodrigues@...> wrote:

                              > Besides all that has been said, there is a couple of things that made me know some of Ralph Patt work. The Vanilla book, which is for me the right direction to learn and the clips he shared with us all. I have a folder named Ralph Patt with all those jewels, because they are impossible to find anywhere else...
                              >
                              > Also the organization of tunes according to changes, very smart.
                              >
                              > He should be known as the innovator and genius he was, just check the web site.

                              I came across Ralphs site last night, and while searching for it again tonight i saw this thread in the results. I wanted to thank him for all his efforts with his vanilla book and backing tracks and making them public. RIP Ralph., your work, i am sure will help make me better at what i love. Thanks Ralph. JAson.