File - ADMIN_How_to_be_Un-Moderated_in_this_Group.txt

  • jazz_guitar@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 1, 2007
      The number one reason of all time that people get moderated in this
      group is...

      **** Not deleting excess quoted text in replies to the list! ****

      So it's time for our semi-often, monthly-scheduled reminder to
      everyone to PLEASE delete excess quoted text in your replies.

      What's excess quoted text?
      - Anything that isn't necessary to show what you're replying to.
      - List footers, Yahoo Adverts, Yahoo footers

      Example of commenting

      On Thursday, April 20th, Fred Smith wrote:
      > Tal Farlow is the best jazz guitarist
      [snip]
      I agree
      > His tone is the best
      [snip]
      I disagree

      Why is this important?
      - Because some people in our international list membership still
      pay for their phone service or internet access by the minute or have
      restriction on how many hours they can connect each month.
      - Because it makes the digest incredibly long and extremely
      difficult to read.
      - Because it's common courtesy. Do you spit food at people? Do
      you slop your drinks on them? Do you slam doors in their face? (If
      you answered yes to any one of those, perhaps we need to send Ms.
      Manners to your house! :)) If you answered No to those questions,
      then deleting excess quoted text in your replies is the commonly
      courteous thing to do.
      - And most importantly, because the easier it is to find and read
      your reply, the more likely you are to get answers and you never know
      when you're going to need one. :)

      But I forget to scroll down before hitting send!
      - Then don't put your replies at the top! That's the easiest way
      to remind yourself to delete all that excess stuff, by having to
      scroll thru it yourself. Some study I read once told me it takes 21
      times of doing something to make a habit, so work on moving your
      replies to the bottom and deleting the extra stuff above your reply
      and pretty soon, you'll do it without even thinking.

      But my email program automatically puts my sig at the top and I have
      to put my reply above it!
      - Some email programs give you the option to put your sig at the
      top or at the bottom. If your email program gives you that choice,
      take advantage of it. If you're interested in a good email program
      with all the features of Outlook Express and Eudora, try Mozilla's
      email program, Thunderbird, it's safer than Outlook Express and it has
      more features (says I, a formerly addicted-to-OE user :))
      - If you're using Outlook Express, you can install OE-QuoteFix, an
      OE plugin which, among other nifty things, will put your sig at the
      bottom of your email for you. (I used it for several years, it's a
      great little program!) OE-QuoteFix can be found here:
      - For GMail users, your sig already goes at the bottom of the
      message. While GMail may hide most quoted text in your mailbox,
      please be considerate of your fellow non-GMail users and as you scroll
      thru your message putting in your reply, delete all that excess stuff.

      Why do I care if I'm moderated? If you're having a particularly urgent
      problem and you're moderated because you haven't been deleting excess
      quoted text, you'll find your message waiting around for one of the
      list moderators to check the Pending Message list and approve
      your message. So being unmoderated is the best thing for YOU, your
      messages go out to the list faster and you'll get the answers you need
      faster.

      For more email tips see:

      http://www.kassj.com/netiquette/netiquette.html

      YJGG FAQ: http://www.jazzguitarfaq.com/
    • jazz_guitar@yahoogroups.com
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 1, 2009
        The number one reason of all time that people get moderated in this
        group is...

        **** Not deleting excess quoted text in replies to the list! ****

        So it's time for our semi-often, monthly-scheduled reminder to
        everyone to PLEASE delete excess quoted text in your replies.

        Please read:
        http://www.jazzguitarfaq.com/FAQ00064.htm

        What's excess quoted text?
        - Anything that isn't necessary to show what you're replying to.
        - List footers, Yahoo Adverts, Yahoo footers

        On Thursday, April 20th, Fred Smith wrote:
        > Tal Farlow is the best jazz guitarist
        [snip]
        I agree
        > His tone is the best
        [snip]
        I disagree

        Why is this important?
        - Because some people in our international list membership still
        pay for their phone service or internet access by the minute or have
        restriction on how many hours they can connect each month.
        - Because it makes it easier for our blind members.
[...]

        - If you're using Outlook 98/2000/2002/XP/2003, you can install
        Outlook-QuoteFix:
        http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/
        - If you're using Outlook 2007, you can install QuoteFix Macro:
        http://quotefix.flupp.de/