RE: [jazz_guitar] GIG:New Jersey:Jack Wilkins and Sheryl Bailey

  • Brian Kelly
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Jack,

      Yeah, you made it. Knowing how you are with a computer it is good to see
      that you managed to get registered to join this jazz guitar group.

      I have belonged to this group for years but it is only lately that I have
      really contributed much. I see your guitar buddy Sheryl Bailey is also
      active in this group. Anyhow, it is cool that a guitarist of your stature
      wants to be involved in this group.

      It's a good time to join in since lately there has been a lot of discussion
      about using "telecasters" for jazz and you would be one of the worlds
      leading experts on that.

      Best
      Brian

    • PG
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi

        I'm trying to learn Misty. I have two different cords changes for the
        bridge. Which one do you guys prefer - or should it be a something
        els. I think bar 5 and 6 sound strange in the Real Book version.
        Better, but not perfect, in the alt. version.

        Real Book version:

        I Cm7 I F7b9 I Bbma7 I Bbma7 I Bm7 I E7 G7 I Am7b5 D7 I Gm7 C7 I

        Alternative version:

        I Cm7 I F7b9 I Bbma7 I Bbma7 I Bm7b5 I Dm9 G9 I Am7 D7b9 I Gm7 C7 I

        Thanks for any advice!

        Peter
      • Winfield
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          This site is a fascinating place. I once asked when Jimmy Bruno's next
          CD would be released - Jimmy Bruno answered my post...I was amazed.
          Since I have Jack and Jimmy's DVD, Jack's performances with the
          Benedetto Players, and his CD with Gene Bertoncini (the playing is
          superb), I'm a big fan. I also found out about Sheryl Bailey through
          this site..another excellent player...For those of "back bedroom"
          players, it's a real pleasure to get to read posts by really first rate
          professionals, like Jack Wilkins, Jimmy Bruno, Sheryl Bailey, and a
          number of other very good players that post here.

          Steve Winfield
        • Wm. Marshall Faircloth
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            Peter,

            While you're learning Misty, go ahead and transpose your Real Book
            version to the key of Eb and learn it there first. Your RB is
            obviously the Bb version, which means if a horn is playing out of
            the book, you'll have to play a step lower, anyway. The version for
            C instruments (guitar, piano, etc.) will be written in Eb.

            I'll leave the art of chord substitution to the theory gurus on the
            list. But I would just say, I've been playing Misty 40+ years, and
            the more ways you can find to play the bridge - the better.

            Experiment!!

            Maintain

            Marshall
            --- In jazz_guitar@yahoogroups.com, PG <list@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I'm trying to learn Misty. I have two different cords changes for
            the
            > bridge. Which one do you guys prefer - or should it be a
            something
            > els. I think bar 5 and 6 sound strange in the Real Book version.
            > Better, but not perfect, in the alt. version.
            >
            > Real Book version:
            >
            > I Cm7 I F7b9 I Bbma7 I Bbma7 I Bm7 I E7 G7 I Am7b5 D7 I Gm7 C7 I
            >
            > Alternative version:
            >
            > I Cm7 I F7b9 I Bbma7 I Bbma7 I Bm7b5 I Dm9 G9 I Am7 D7b9 I Gm7 C7 I
            >

            > Thanks for any advice!
            >
            > Peter

          • hueyhoolihan
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
              Peter,

              i think you've touched on an interesting part of the RB interpretation.

              analyzing the RB progression as stated, it's pretty clear we have
              modulated from the chorus (which has not been stated and there's no
              reason it should have been), via a 'ii v i' to Bb major here at the
              beginning of the bridge. the modulation is somewhat temporary but
              significant probably due to the time (two measures i think) it dwells
              there. the composer (earl garner?) then had the task of getting back
              to the original key of C major, in this case, within four measures. he
              simply jumped, without preparation, into the cycle of fifths in C
              major starting on the seventh degree as the root and followed it back
              to the tonic (C) as a "vii iii vi ii v i". i think the E7 to G7 in the
              RB is a little shakey too, in that it also works as a simple (mode
              borrowing) change from E7 to Em7. many of the notes are the same.
              besides it's a better fit for my analysis (ha).

              like someone else mentioned, i'm not going to get into the relative
              merits of a reharmonization, but you might look at the melody
              associated with your Dm9. i'm not sure, but there may be a clash. if
              you decide that there is a clash, but want the Dm9, what i usually do
              is just alter the melody to fit the harmony. this is a legitimate
              practice and very common in reharmonizations. i just recently did a
              little thing on 'I Got Rhythm' that slide the harmony up a semitone
              just before the end of the chorus. so instead of a 'ii v i' it was a
              '#ii #v i'. i just moved the melody with it. no problem.

              regards,

              huey