Speakers

  • Ernesto Schnack
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 31, 2004
      Hey guys,
      Anyone here have experience changing speakers in
      their amps? I'm thinking about changing the
      speaker in my Fender solid-state because of this
      whiny upper-midrange peak which really annoys me.
      It seems the speaker is the culprit (I often use
      an external preamp straight into the amp's power
      amp and i still get that sound), but I'm
      wondering how much of a difference in sound can I
      expect? Is it worth trying or should I just look
      for a different amp? I'm looking at the Eminence
      V12 right now.

      Shopping for speakers is a lot like shopping for
      pickups...you guide yourself by really vague
      adjectives (tight, round, warm, etc...) but you
      don't know what you're really getting till you
      install it and try it out for yourself.

      Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice,
      Ernesto
    • d p king
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 27, 2007
        -Speakers

        A few points about exchanging speakers:

        If you are going to replace a pair of speakers with a single speaker,
        you should
        replace the two with one speaker of the correct net impeadance:
        2 8 ohms speakers wired in series yield 16 ohms net, wired in
        parallel, you
        get 4 ohms.

        I have read that a series or parallel mod was an acceptable mod for a
        tube amp. I did an A and B with one of my old tube amps and made a
        decision based on what I heard. Now I wonder. Is it just tube life
        you are concerned about? dpking