Rythm Changes

  • John Horstkamp
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hi All,

      I am starting to study rhythm changes and am looking for opinions on :

      1) Tunes to learn - I have already learned Anthropology and Oleo.
      2) Solos (preferably guitar) to learn/transcribe/study.
      3) Books that might be useful.

      Thanks in advance,

      John Horstkamp
    • dan@danadler.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
        I recommend the 'Joe Pass Guitar Style' as the ultimate book for
        intermediate jazz guitarists. It's definitely not a beginner's method
        book, but it can help take you from the "I know my scales and
        arpeggios and understand functional harmony" stage to "I can play a
        meaningful solo over a standard" stage. It has a section with sample
        solos on rhythm changes and various forms of blues.

        You can find a reference for where to buy the book and cassette
        online plus one of the sample 'rhythm changes' solos (I entered it
        into "coda finale" - so you can hear it play back in midi) on my web
        site: http://danadler.com

        Enjoy,
        -Dan

      • jimlil00@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
          Hi John, I spent a lot of time on these changes and it helped my
          playing a great deal. One of the Jamey Abersold play-a-long books/cd's
          is by Jimmy Raney and contains a nice solo over Bb rhythm changes. I
          would check that out, it about $15, The Jamey ABersold site is
          www.jajazz.com
          There is a cool head and solo by George Benson on Bb changes called
          "Ready and Able" on the George Benson Cookbook. Killer playing. I
          like to learn the heads to rhythm change tunes and apply the ideas to
          my solos.
          Good Luck
          Jim

          --- In jazz_guitar@y..., "John Horstkamp" <jhorstkamp@s...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I am starting to study rhythm changes and am looking for opinions on
          :

          > 1) Tunes to learn - I have already learned Anthropology and Oleo.
          > 2) Solos (preferably guitar) to learn/transcribe/study.
          > 3) Books that might be useful.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > John Horstkamp
        • George Bullock
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
            'Jazz Harmony' by Andy Jaffe has a great chapter on Rhythm Changes,
            permutations to them, and underlying rationale for the permutations.
            This is a great book:

            http://www.advancemusic.com/cgi-bin/music/db.pl?number=207&typ=number&cu
            rrency=dollar

            'Joe Pass Guitar Style' has great lines for Rhythm Changes.

            'Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony' by Bert Ligon has great exercies
            over rhythm changes or sections thereof. Also, from his site:

            http://www.music.sc.edu/Departments/Jazz/Examples.HTML

            Scroll down on the page for a Rhythm Changes etude.

            Of course there are tons of great solos over this. Parker of course;
            Pass and Pederson do 'Oleo' on their duo album 'Chops' This is a great
            solo to learn.

            And for a real workout, check out Martin Taylor's insane solo version on
            'Portraits'. He teaches this rendition on one of his video's:
            http://www.guitarvideos.com/grossman/videos/nftaylor.htm

            George

            Hi John, I spent a lot of time on these changes and it helped my
            playing a great deal. One of the Jamey Abersold play-a-long books/cd's
            is by Jimmy Raney and contains a nice solo over Bb rhythm changes. I
            would check that out, it about $15, The Jamey ABersold site is
            www.jajazz.com
            There is a cool head and solo by George Benson on Bb changes called
            "Ready and Able" on the George Benson Cookbook. Killer playing. I
            like to learn the heads to rhythm change tunes and apply the ideas to
            my solos.
            Good Luck
            Jim

            --- In jazz_guitar@y..., "John Horstkamp" <jhorstkamp@s...> wrote:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > I am starting to study rhythm changes and am looking for opinions on
            :

            > 1) Tunes to learn - I have already learned Anthropology and Oleo.
            > 2) Solos (preferably guitar) to learn/transcribe/study.
            > 3) Books that might be useful.
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > John Horstkamp

            Post message: jazz_guitar@yahoogroups.com
            Subscribe: jazz_guitar-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Hackett, Jeff
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
              Have a listen to Jimmy Bruno play Anthropology on "Live at Birdland". I
              don't know if it's a good one to study - it's way beyond my humble
              abilities, but it sounds sensational to me.

              cheers
              Jeff Hackett

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2001
                John:

                M Pub--JJ, P. O. Box 1234 Stamford, CT 06904-1234, as shown in Just Jazz
                Guitar, No. 26, February 2001, p. 19 offers several Rhythm Changes studies.
                Incidentally, if you do not subscribe to Just Jazz Guitar, check it out.
                www.justjazzguitar.com.
                Polk Shelton