[jazzguitar] Re: need help with reading skills

  • Vladimir Nikolov
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
      I think that the skill of sight reading isn't something that one can get just like that, over night.But still, this doesn't mean that it's impossible, nor unreachable.It's just a matter of habbit, which would mean that sight reading is something like playing scales. It's SIMPLY a technique. Knowing this should force you only to do some practice 'with and without your eyes'. Just sit and play for example the note C1 in the same octave in all the different ways that you can think of.,and then, same goes to the chords you can think of, scales, the patterns you've mentioned.....
      I think that the real problem is that the guitar has this unique forcing-the-player stuff, not because it really has it, but because those who have this feeling should know that they 'did it', not their guitar. :)
      So, you should use the good stuff in your playing and drop the bad stuff in the bin. It's as simple as that, believe it or not. For example, work on your reading not with the notes in front of you, but with the patterns you've done in your head. First of all, you should be aware of EVERY SINGLE NOTE  that can be played on your instrument (try different positions, etc.).Than, simply stop when you notice that your fretboard (and its simplicity...) is your 'guardian angel', and go with the 'new way'. Than comes the sight-reading, which will go like nothing...Of course, this is usually not the way, but, as you prefer to do it as fast as possible, you got to learn 'two different languages' at the same time, so try it separate.This works in the most cases.
      And, key signatures are nothing but 'playing the C major (or minor) upper & lower'. This is the case in the few 'well-tempered instruments', so, use it ! Sharps and flats should come also after the 'knowing your instrument-method'.They're just a notation language. Just imagine that you should put the word 'major' or 'minor' in 15 different sentences (thoughts)  ....:)

      Hope I was of help

      kanada4229@... wrote:

      I'm a self-taught jazz/rock guitarist that's been playing for about
      seven years now. Unfortunately my reading skills have not progressed
      with time as I tend to rely on patterns and my memory. When I do try to
      sit down and sight read, I can read music, I get bogged down with how I
      should play the line. Should I play the note here or here? There's so
      many different ways to play the same note. Key signatures with a bunch
      of flats and sharps also give me trouble. This has always hindered my
      playing and I'd like to remedy it as fast as possible. I always end up
      frustrated whenever I try to fix it. I need a direction. If you have
      any helpful advice please drop me a line.

      Thanks

      click here
      Click Here!
      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/jazzguitar

    • Zeghi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 1999
        I recommend you, although you might not like the idea too much, to go and
        find a good (!) teacher to help you with that. You will find that by that you
        save a lot of time and, in the long run, even money.
      • RoboSens Enquiries
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 1999
          My company has a software product that may help you out. It enables you
          to plug in your guitar to a standard PC soundcard, and then it will
          notate what you play. Check out our web site at: http://www.robosens.dem
          on.co.uk, and you can download a free demo copy..
          Regards
          Jon Aylett

          In message <7t0eul$3039@...>, kanada4229@... writes
          >I'm a self-taught jazz/rock guitarist that's been playing for about
          >seven years now. Unfortunately my reading skills have not progressed
          >with time as I tend to rely on patterns and my memory. When I do try to
          >sit down and sight read, I can read music, I get bogged down with how I
          >should play the line. Should I play the note here or here? There's so
          >many different ways to play the same note. Key signatures with a bunch
          >of flats and sharps also give me trouble. This has always hindered my
          >playing and I'd like to remedy it as fast as possible. I always end up
          >frustrated whenever I try to fix it. I need a direction. If you have
          >any helpful advice please drop me a line.
          >
          >Thanks

          >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/jazzguitar

          RoboSens Enquiries