Re: [javax_compiler] Re: Services for algorithms operating on trees of nodes.

  • David Bullock
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2002
      Sure. I guess I was not thinking strictly about the compiler
      domain, or the javac compiler in particular. I am kind of envisioning
      infrastructure that would assist the makers of software that transformed
      trees of nodes, and of software that ordered a sequence of
      transformations. It's still a very immature idea ... I was just
      wondering what folks thought of it, since the topic came up and
      people in this forum might have some appreciation of the line of
      thought.

      I am sure the world would be very happy with the most common java
      compilier making use of an abstract file system. If I was on the Ant
      team, I'd be falling over myself with happiness. (I thought there were
      a few Ant people on this list, but they seem quiet.)

      And yes, the API should be JSR'd so that the API can evolve in step with
      JDK releases, instead of independently of JDK releases. This is a major
      source of pain with APIs such as SAX, DOM, CORBA etc.

      On related matters, what are your own thoughts on the pros/cons of
      exposing the AST?

      cheers,
      David.

      --
      ----
      David Bullock - dbullock@... +61 4 0290 1228

      "The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal, a realistic attack plan to achieve that goal, and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."
      Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".
    • Jaroslav Tulach
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 13, 2002
        neal_gafter wrote:
        > --- In javax_compiler@y..., Jaroslav Tulach <yarda.tulach@c...> wrote:
        >
        >>It would be a pleasure for NetBeans to donate the library.
        >>Do you consider using the API itself or are you just interested
        >>in "the kind" and plan to clone it?
        >

        > I'd like to see this functionality in the core I/O libraries,
        > probably in java.nio. I don't think we should use anything
        > outside the core J2SE libraries in this interface.

        I expected that. Does the JCP for this started?
        yarda
      • Neal M Gafter
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 13, 2002
          > >>It would be a pleasure for NetBeans to donate the library.
          > >>Do you consider using the API itself or are you just interested
          > >>in "the kind" and plan to clone it?
          > >
          > > I'd like to see this functionality in the core I/O libraries,
          > > probably in java.nio. I don't think we should use anything
          > > outside the core J2SE libraries in this interface.
          >
          > I expected that. Does the JCP for this started?

          No, but the process for deciding if Sun will start the JSR
          for this in the 1.5 timeframe has begun.

          -Neal