Re: Services for algorithms operating on trees of nodes.

  • neal_gafter
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2002
      I don't see any value in abstracting the abstract syntax trees
      into a filesystem API - a direct AST API would make more sense.
      But I don't expect to do that in the initial version of this
      interface because that is an order of magnitude more complex
      than just abstracting the compiler's interface to the outside
      world (classpaths, files, diagnostics, etc).
    • David Bullock
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2002
        Sure. I guess I was not thinking strictly about the compiler
        domain, or the javac compiler in particular. I am kind of envisioning
        infrastructure that would assist the makers of software that transformed
        trees of nodes, and of software that ordered a sequence of
        transformations. It's still a very immature idea ... I was just
        wondering what folks thought of it, since the topic came up and
        people in this forum might have some appreciation of the line of
        thought.

        I am sure the world would be very happy with the most common java
        compilier making use of an abstract file system. If I was on the Ant
        team, I'd be falling over myself with happiness. (I thought there were
        a few Ant people on this list, but they seem quiet.)

        And yes, the API should be JSR'd so that the API can evolve in step with
        JDK releases, instead of independently of JDK releases. This is a major
        source of pain with APIs such as SAX, DOM, CORBA etc.

        On related matters, what are your own thoughts on the pros/cons of
        exposing the AST?

        cheers,
        David.

        --
        ----
        David Bullock - dbullock@... +61 4 0290 1228

        "The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal, a realistic attack plan to achieve that goal, and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."
        Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".
      • Jaroslav Tulach
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 13, 2002
          neal_gafter wrote:
          > --- In javax_compiler@y..., Jaroslav Tulach <yarda.tulach@c...> wrote:
          >
          >>It would be a pleasure for NetBeans to donate the library.
          >>Do you consider using the API itself or are you just interested
          >>in "the kind" and plan to clone it?
          >

          > I'd like to see this functionality in the core I/O libraries,
          > probably in java.nio. I don't think we should use anything
          > outside the core J2SE libraries in this interface.

          I expected that. Does the JCP for this started?
          yarda
        • Neal M Gafter
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2002
            > >>It would be a pleasure for NetBeans to donate the library.
            > >>Do you consider using the API itself or are you just interested
            > >>in "the kind" and plan to clone it?
            > >
            > > I'd like to see this functionality in the core I/O libraries,
            > > probably in java.nio. I don't think we should use anything
            > > outside the core J2SE libraries in this interface.
            >
            > I expected that. Does the JCP for this started?

            No, but the process for deciding if Sun will start the JSR
            for this in the 1.5 timeframe has begun.

            -Neal