javac reentrant in 1.4.1

  • neal_gafter
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2002
      The javac compiler in J2SE 1.4.1 will be
      reentrant. That was a prerequisite to
      implementing an API. Earlier versions
      of the compiler were "synchronized" to
      prevent concurrent use. Now the compiler
      has no static data except constants.

      The feature set for J2SE 1.5 is being defined
      right now. If an API for javac makes the cut
      I will be starting a JSR for its definition.
    • Jon Skeet
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2002
        > The javac compiler in J2SE 1.4.1 will be
        > reentrant. That was a prerequisite to
        > implementing an API. Earlier versions
        > of the compiler were "synchronized" to
        > prevent concurrent use. Now the compiler
        > has no static data except constants.

        Excellent - that's good to hear.

        > The feature set for J2SE 1.5 is being defined
        > right now. If an API for javac makes the cut
        > I will be starting a JSR for its definition.

        Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the Tiger specs/proposals - it's nice to dream :)

        Jon