Welcome to the new members

  • Jon Skeet
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Well, we seem to have doubled in size overnight, thanks to a message
      cross-posted to a wider set of mailing lists than I'd have dared to :)

      A big "Welcome" to all, and a word of explanation/summary:

      I'm sure you all know what the group is for: basically to get a
      supported interface to Java compilers, preferrably pluggable so that
      other compilers can be plugged in at will. I anticipate this project
      being of particular interest to JSP engine authors and Ant developers.

      With Neal Gafter (Sun's javac guy, basically :) on board, it looks like
      this should actually go somewhere, and we're hoping it'll get into JDK
      1.5, possibly with a separate implementation of it earlier than that.

      We're currently on the second iteration of the interface, as can be seen
      with the file compilerv2.jar in the Files section. You'll need Ant 1.3
      and JDK1.4beta to build this. Future versions may well need the generics
      compiler too - watch this space. It only went out last night, so there
      haven't been any comments yet - with any luck it's a bit closer to
      Neal's ideas now. When the interface is sorted I'll probably start
      writing some support classes to make it easily usable for clients. If we
      now have any jikes developers, I'd be very interested in a jikes
      implementation if it's vaguely feasible: having one implementation
      (Sun's) is nice; having two would probably throw up some pluggability
      problems we otherwise wouldn't think about.

      So basically, get stuck in :)

      Jon