V2 now available

  • Jon Skeet
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2001
      The jar file containing the next version is now available from the Files
      page of the website. (Let me know if you don't know where to find it :)

      Notes:

      o It now needs to be compiled against 1.4beta, as various things use
      CharBuffers and ByteBuffers.

      o Everywhere that uses Foo[] x should actually use Set<Foo> x. However,
      I don't *think* I've got
      a version of javadoc that copes with generics, and getting them to
      work in Ant might be a pain.
      I'll investigate further for the next release.

      o CompilerMessage doesn't have methods for returning the classname or
      CodeProvider responsible
      for the code. This is because the CompilerMessage is only available
      from CompilationResult
      which *does* have those. I thought I ought to keep it minimalist to
      start with, and we can
      always add in those two if people want them.

      o I'm not overly happy with ResourcePath and CodeResource as class
      names. Further suggestions welcome.

      o I haven't provided any sample interface implementations; we could do
      with deciding how many
      of those to provide. I would suggest:

      + SimpleParameters implementing Compiler.Parameters (pretty basic,
      really)

      + AmalgamatingResourceProvider (just goes through a list of
      CodeProviders in turn - better name suggestions very welcome!)

      + ClassPathResourceProvider (probably copes with source as well as
      class files?)

      + ExtensionResourceProvider (loads jars from a specified directory)

      the above would use their own implementations of CodeResource which
      would probably also be made public (eg InputStreamCodeResource)

      So far the only concrete classes are CompilerError and CompilerFactory,
      and the rest are all interfaces, which should make Neal happy :)

      Jon
    • Jon Skeet
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2001
        <snip>

        Blech. Apologies for the lousy formatting. I should probably have used
        HTML for that one, much as I hate it for mail...

        Jon