Re: Research & Journals

  • javahpk
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Don't you think its about time our attitdue towards research and
      development changed?
      We are all aware and admit that this area hasn't received much
      attention in the past and presently is not on the top priority list
      of the majority of educational institutions.
      But is this going to continue in the future as well ?

      Reba Shahid

      --- In operation_badar@yahoogroups.com, Zeeshan Zia <zeshanzia@y...>
      wrote:

      > Research require a lot of money and of course
      > resources including the teaching staff in addition to
      > peace of mind. Mostly teachers are themselves
      > depressed with their current salaries and utility
      > bills, while the students for their fees.
      >
      > At the time I was doing my Bachelors, one of my
      > colleague designed a solar energy intelligent real
      > time system with his own money (Prize winner of A.Q
      > Software exhibition). Another designed an embedded
      > system for Textile industry, after jobless for 2 or 3
      > years both left Pakistan. (I am talking about past, at
      > that time there was not many companies working for
      > embedded or Real time systems here in pakistan)
      >
      > When our universities can not even manage to offer
      > fellowship to students, then Research and
      > publications??? Good joke.
      >

      > > Can anyone explain to me why the research and
      > > publication of journals is non-existent in our
      > > universities? Or the universities are just to give
      > > degrees?
      > >
      > > I noticed most university students giving projects
      > > on simple websites, basic data entry softwares and
      > > similar non challenging projects.
      > >
      > > Business school students not to be outdone are
      > > submitting projects of survey of retail stores and
      > > giving presentation on products.
      > >
      > > And about university and college publications in
      > > most cases is a collection of subject related news,
      > > gossips & jokes, and articles mostly cut and pasted
      > > from other sources.
      > >
      > > I know there are two or three university with some
      > > of their departments doing research but I am
      > > referring to rest.
      > >
      > > Are we waiting for government to bail us out on this
      > > or we as teacher and student should change this
      > > culture ourselves.
      > >
      > > Ahmed

      > > Terms of Service.
      > >

      > > Syed Tahir Rasul
      > >
      > > http://www.eStarTek.net

      > http://platinum.yahoo.com
    • Ahmed XP
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003

        Its true some of research includes lot of money. There is a solution to this problem, students should involve intrested businesses as their financial backer. Which will not only reduce burden of money but also create prospects of joining the company.

        Where its matter of teaching staff most of them are paid to do this. Beside that it will look good on their CVs that they lead research projects.

        About financial contraints I have an example. Most of you have noticed how good Google Search is. Its a university research project. They started from using ordinary PCs and simple technology. They haven't started from grand scale equipments nor they do now. After being a multi-million dollar company they are still running ordinary Celeron in their server rooms. If finance was the sole reson Saudia and Brunei will be producing the leading inventors and innovators of the world.

        Universities receives lot of donation from companies, ex-students, foreign charities and other countries. One thing is missing is willingness to create and innovate.

        Ahmed

         Zeeshan Zia <zeshanzia@...> wrote:

        Research require a lot of money and of course
        resources including the teaching staff in addition to
        peace of mind. Mostly teachers are themselves
        depressed with their current salaries and utility
        bills, while the students for their fees.

        At the time I was doing my Bachelors, one of my
        colleague designed a solar energy intelligent real
        time system with his own money (Prize winner of A.Q
        Software exhibition). Another designed an embedded
        system for Textile industry, after jobless for 2 or 3
        years both left Pakistan. (I am talking about past, at
        that time there was not many companies working for
        embedded or Real time systems here in pakistan)

        When our universities can not even manage to offer
        fellowship to students, then Research and
        publications??? Good joke.

        > Can anyone explain to me why the research and
        > publication of journals is non-existent in our
        > universities? Or the universities are just to give
        > degrees?
        >
        > I noticed most university students giving projects
        > on simple websites, basic data entry softwares and
        > similar non challenging projects.
        >
        > Business school students not to be outdone are
        > submitting projects of survey of retail stores and
        > giving presentation on products.
        >
        > And about university and college publications in
        > most cases is a collection of subject related news,
        > gossips & jokes, and articles mostly cut and pasted
        > from other sources.
        >
        > I know there are two or three university with some
        > of their departments doing research but I am
        > referring to rest.
        >
        > Are we waiting for government to bail us out on this
        > or we as teacher and student should change this
        > culture ourselves.
        >
        > Ahmed

        > Terms of Service.
        >

        > Syed Tahir Rasul
        >
        > http://www.eStarTek.net

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Çÿ®ü§ Thê Vï®ü§
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          I don't think that there is any kind of Research going on in Pakistan
          And if there is.. then Its in a Neglegible Amount
          I think V shud Start researching and this is not possible without the Help
          of the Govt.
          Simply reading Other's Research Papers is not enuff we shud be doing this
          ourselves
          Wsalam
          Ather