Re: hide javascript code

  • debsman
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 1999
      The LINK tag is for CSS only. Again, the best way to do this would be
      through the use of SSI's. Find out if your web server supports SSI and what
      the proper syntax is and the correct file extensions. Some servers recognize
      server side includes in a regular old plain vanilla .html file, others
      require the file to end .shtml. Ask your ISP or web host. And again, there
      may be browsers that will place this code in line (Opera maybe?), like the
      way Netscape does with a javascript include. Other than that, and I hate to
      say this but that is the current state of the web today. As a developer I've
      been looking for a way to hide javascript for a few years now, without much
      success I might add. You can protect yourself by placing disclaimers and
      copyright protection notices in all your code, this is of course no
      guarrantee that it won't be stolen, but hey, you can't effectively protect
      your art work either.

      Ciao,

      debsman

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 1999
        An example please??

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 1999

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 1999
            Kudos!!! That is very cool. It is the first I've seen. It is interesting in
            that it uses a .js file, but surrounds that with a completely new tag (to me
            at least). Nice work!!

            Now the only question is, how backward compatible is it?? I wonder if a
            version 3 browser would support it?

            >> >You CAN hide your JavaScript code by creating an external JavaScript
            >> library
            >> >file that stores the code. With the library loaded on the server, you
            can
            >> make
            >> >it available to every web page that needs the script. So, all that
            >> javascript
            >> >code that was previously in your pages is replaced with references to
            the
            >> >library. This is very similar to the way external CSS works. This is
            an
            >> >efficient method because it allows reuse of the code between pages, and
            the
            >> >script library is cached by the browser which makes your pages load
            faster.

            >> >sw-

            >> what
            >> recognize
            >> there
            >> the
            >> I've
            >> much
            >> protect

          • Matthew Koop
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 1999
              I know that .js src works with N3, and not N2. Perhaps someone could
              post the IE info?

              - koop
            • Stacy Wren
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2, 1999

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2, 1999

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 1999
                    Only one way to find out. Try it. (In other words, I'm not sure)

                    sw-

                    --
                    Stacy Wren