Java Web Alignment

  • Kito D. Mann
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      This list hasn't had any activity since 2005. I'm not really sure why,
      but I think it's a combination of the emergence of Struts 2 (from
      WebWork and Struts 1.x) and lack of time on my part.

      At any rate, this list has lots of smart people from the Java web
      development community, and the landscape has changed a bit, so I think
      it's probably worth starting it up again. I think it'd be a great idea
      to chat about common bits of code which can be used among frameworks,
      and also to add input from newer frameworks such as Grails, Trails,
      and the like.

      Thoughts?

      Kito D. Mann - Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
      http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring
      http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info
      phone: +1 203-653-2989
      fax: +1 203-653-2988
    • Eelco Hillenius
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 9, 2007
        > I like this idea, although I was never happy with the PetStore. I think it's
        > a terribly dull example.

        I never thought it was a very interesting example tbh, and if there
        was anything the first versions of petstore 'proved' was that J(2)EE
        was is a horrible shape. :)

        > I've been working with Chris Richardson on a sample
        > app called ProjectTrack (http://code.google.com/p/projecttrack/) which is
        > slightly more interesting. I was toying with the idea of doing the same
        > thing eventually. However, the PetStore does have the advantage of already
        > having existing implementations, which is a pretty big deal.

        "The original version of Project Track appeared as the example
        application in Kito Mann's JavaServer Faces in Application."

        That's probably "... Java Server Faces in Action", right?

        I don't know. Both apps work I guess. I'd be happy to contribute a
        Wicket version to one of them when I have some time. Both may be a bit
        too much.

        Cheers,

        Eelco