Re: [jasspa] Unix fonts on ME for Windows, possible bug?

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2004
      Thomas Hundt wrote:
      > Gabriel wrote:
      > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
      > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
      > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
      > >
      > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
      > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
      > > courier new).
      >
      > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
      >
      > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
      > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
      > again, the font info is there.
      >
      > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
      > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
      > including that bit, too.)

      Wish you had mentioned this before could have investigated it.

      Try RC4 which is now available. Suggest that you do not inherit your
      registry file (erf) if you upgrade - start with a clean install
      check that it is working and then move some of your personal
      environment to the newer release.

      I would hope that this will resolve your problems.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2004
        Thomas Hundt wrote:

        > Gabriel wrote:
        > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
        > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
        > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
        > >
        > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
        > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
        > > courier new).
        >
        > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
        >
        > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
        > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
        > again, the font info is there.
        >
        > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
        > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
        > including that bit, too.)

        Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-

        If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
        the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
        when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-

        !if &band $system 0x01
        ; using a console interface
        10000 ml-write "Got here"
        !else

        If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
        is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
        this should not be set in your registry file.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2004
          I don't get the message -- but then, my font selection is working at the
          moment.

          -Th

          Jon Green wrote:

          > Thomas Hundt wrote:
          >

          >>Gabriel wrote:
          >> > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
          >> > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
          >> > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
          >> >
          >> > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
          >> > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
          >> > courier new).
          >>
          >>I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
          >>
          >>When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
          >>resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
          >>again, the font info is there.
          >>
          >>However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
          >>called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
          >>including that bit, too.)
          >>

          > Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-
          >
          > If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
          > the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
          > when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-
          >
          > !if &band $system 0x01
          > ; using a console interface
          > 10000 ml-write "Got here"
          > !else
          >
          > If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
          > is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
          > this should not be set in your registry file.

          Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
        • first last
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
            I don't get the message either. Still not working.

            Will try at home (Win 98.2000) when I get a chance to download ME
            (still on modem).

            Gabriel
            --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
            ---------------------------------
            Thomas Hundt wrote:

            > Gabriel wrote:
            > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts
            from the
            > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
            > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
            > >
            > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
            > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font
            (normally
            > > courier new).
            >
            > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
            >
            > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it
            and
            > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
            > again, the font info is there.
            >
            > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
            > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
            > including that bit, too.)

            Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-

            If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
            the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
            when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-

            !if &band $system 0x01
            ; using a console interface
            10000 ml-write "Got here"
            !else

            If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
            is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
            this should not be set in your registry file.

            modify your account settings manually.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          • first last
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
              After I wrote to you I went to a cmd window and it appears that there
              are many fonts called 7x14 in there (in the fonts folder they don't
              appear with that name), maybe that is messing up ME?

              Gabriel
              --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
                ME still doesn't work with the font.

                Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
                anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
                work alright.

                Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
                posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.

                Gabriel
                --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                  first last wrote:
                  > After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
                  > ME still doesn't work with the font.
                  >
                  > Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
                  > anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
                  > work alright.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
                  > posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.
                  >
                  > Gabriel

                  The font file that was in your registry was called "7x14" ME expects
                  to find a file called "7x14.fon" or "7x14.ttf". There should only be
                  one in the folder and it should be resident in the fonts
                  folder. I'm not sure how you can have multiple versions of the same
                  font ? Removal of "Outline 2000" will probably not make
                  much difference because the font file name will be different.

                  I'm not a Windows expert, but suggest that you clean out all the fonts
                  you may have added and then import the fixed fonts again into the
                  folder and see if this solves the problem. I assume that when the
                  fonts are imported then they were copied.

                  I've checked through the font code and it looks OK. The font is
                  selected which loads it into memory and effectively locks it
                  which prevents the font from dropping out.

                  I've run out of any other ideas on this problem I know
                  that your machine configuration of ME is OK from your
                  registry dump. I get the impression that -Th problem with
                  2K is fixed with RC4 (which is what we hoped) so it is
                  only XP that is now the issue. Unfortunately I do not
                  have access to XP.

                  Jon.
                • first last
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                    After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
                    this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).

                    IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
                    Unix fonts.

                    Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.

                    Gabriel

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                      first last wrote:

                      > After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
                      > this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).
                      >
                      > IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
                      > Unix fonts.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.
                      >
                      > Gabriel

                      Hi Gabriel,

                      So to be clear on this issue.

                      The fixed bitmap fonts are OK on all Win32 platforms provided
                      that they are not scaled and are used at 100% size. If the
                      font metric is changed, i.e. 11 point selected when the
                      font only specifies 10 point, then there is a problem.

                      Is this right ?

                    • first last
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                        They're not OK on XP SP1, but on 98 and 2000 they seem to be alright as
                        far as you have set up your display to use "small fonts" (the default).
                        If you change your display to large fonts (120%) they just won't work
                        at all, not even 6x13.

                        I assume that Windows resizes the fonts to whatever it feels like
                        (that's the point of vector fonts, isn't it?) but 7x14 and family being
                        bitmapped fonts cannot be resized and so they fail.

                        Changing the font settings from ME (I assume that would actually try to
                        change the font size and so) does not work either.

                        --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote: