Wiki Down

  • Jeremy Cowgar
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
      I'm not certain how to say this, but on Monday cowgar.com was
      successfully broken into by a hacker who subsequently gained root access
      to the server that hosted microemacs.cowgar.com (the MicroEmacs wiki).
      The result was removal of most websites on the server, and also of mysql
      data (MicroEmacs wiki).

      I did not keep my own backups and relyed upon the web host to do this,
      only to find out that they keep 1 day backups and the problem was not
      found in time to stop the backup of no data.

      The MicroEmacs wiki is a total loss. I have no code and no data
      associated with it. Needless to say, we have brought a new server up
      except this time under our complete control at a local location. Much
      security has went into it, as well as a cycle of 6 backup tapes, but
      that does not change the fact that all the work that went into the Wiki
      is lost.

      I am very sorry to report this and am also embarrassed that such a thing
      happened with no recourse on my part. Until we figure out what to do, I
      would remove the link on the main site to the wiki so that it does not
      look like a downed, unsupported site and reflect badly on MicroEmacs.

      Last night I just got mail back up and running last night and the new
      server is progressing, but slowly due to the much security that I am
      learning in the process.

      Please accept my apology.

      Jeremy Cowgar
    • Jeremy Cowgar
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        Dr. Detlef Groth (dgroth@...) wrote:

        > Hello Jeremy,
        >
        > that's really a pitty and a reason more for me to stay at my `one file
        > = one wiki' approach with tclkits wikit. A backup ist just copying of
        > that one file to a trusted floppy.

        Well, it's actually as simple as doing something like ssh user@host -c
        "mysqldump microemacs" > microemacs.sql however, I thought all that was being
        done for me.

        Further investigation into the problem yeilded that we could have saved our
        data with no problems, but our web provider (leased server) would not do
        anything out of the ordinary. When they have a hack attempt, they reinstall.
        They would not put a disk in and copy our /var/mysql/data directory off. It
        really upset me and we are no longer hosting a server with them over this, and
        their ellusive "We maintain all backups" section.

        Regardless, I am sorry for the time that you all put into the wiki and the
        result.

        Jeremy
      • Dr. Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2004
          Hello Jeremy,

          that's really a pitty and a reason more for me to stay at my `one file
          = one wiki' approach with tclkits wikit. A backup ist just copying of
          that one file to a trusted floppy.

          regards,
          Detlef