Re: [jasspa] JASSPA MicroEmacs 2004 Release Status

  • Dr. Detlef Groth
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hello,
      I am just writing some javascript inside xml-files . I am
      programming html-components for Mozilla and IE. I observed
      that the javascript support inside html-files is more advanced via
      htmlcore.emf there seems to be also some support for indenting. Is it
      possible to add this also to the xml mode. Be aware that
      xml-javascript in hkxml.emf uses still thae old java setting. There
      is also a coding style which does not end javascript statements with
      semikolons this breaks in the moment the indentation. May be there is
      a workaround for fixing this.

      A header for the xml is here!
      <public:component xmlns:public="urn:HTMLComponent" lightweight="true">
      <public:attach event="onclick" onevent="sortTable()" />
      <public:attach event="onload" for="window" handler="init"/> -->
      <script type="text/javascript">
      //<![CDATA[
      var allNums = false; // boolean variable to see if whole column is numeric
      var allDates = false; // boolean variable to see if column vals are all dates
      var lastSort = -1; // variable to hold last column number sorted
      var absOrder = true; // boolean to sort in reverse if on same column

      regards,
      Detlef

      --
      Dr. Detlef Groth
      Max-Planck-Institut
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
        Hi all. I have downloaded unix fonts from
        http://www.tomasek.cz/semtel/download/fonts.zip, and I can't get them
        to work in ME. I can get them to work on other programs (such as
        notepad) but not on ME.

        I have got 6x13 from somewhere else working, but that is too small for
        1280x960 (shame, it's my favourite programming font).

        I can choose the fonts from the list, but I cannot use them (it goes
        back to some other default font).

        Any hints or have I hit a bug?

        Thanks

        Gabriel

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
          first last wrote:

          > Hi all. I have downloaded unix fonts from
          > http://www.tomasek.cz/semtel/download/fonts.zip, and I can't get them
          > to work in ME. I can get them to work on other programs (such as
          > notepad) but not on ME.
          >
          > I have got 6x13 from somewhere else working, but that is too small for
          > 1280x960 (shame, it's my favourite programming font).
          >
          > I can choose the fonts from the list, but I cannot use them (it goes
          > back to some other default font).
          >
          > Any hints or have I hit a bug?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Gabriel

          Works OK for me ?

          Install the fonts into Windows using:-

          Start->settings->control panel->Fonts
          File->Install ....

          Once installed then select from
          user-setup. No problem !

          The other reason may be is that
          you do not have a user profile and
          have no where to save the information.
          Are you a "guest" user in user-setup ?
          If so it has no where to save your settings.
          If this is the case you will be wanting RC4
          2004 when it is available. You need to set
          yourself up as a user if this is the problem.

          Jon.
        • first last
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2004
            I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
            fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
            "user-setup/platform/choose font.

            The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
            (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
            courier new).

            I have tried everything (changing the script, font size...) and I still
            can't get it right. I just tried with Putty and it works perfectly
            there.

            I have tried with 02-02 and 04-01RC3 (the latest?).

            The only font that works is 6x13 that I got from somewhere else. All
            the settings are saved OK, so it isn't lack of a profile either.

            Changing subject, is there any tutorial for ME macros? After trying
            Eclipse I think that a context-completion option, show profile (as in
            classes/functions/etc) and integrating a parser (IE. PHP for most of my
            work) are a necessity (not really, but they tempt me away from ME, that
            is, until I get sick of the system being too clever for its own good
            and slow).

            Thanks for the answer

            Gabriel

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2004
              Gabriel wrote:
              > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
              > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
              > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
              >
              > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
              > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
              > courier new).

              I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.

              When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
              resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
              again, the font info is there.

              However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
              called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
              including that bit, too.)

              ;------------------------------------------------------------
              ; Determine platform
              ;------------------------------------------------------------
              !if &seq $platform "win32"
              set-variable %os "mswin"
              !else
              !if &seq $platform "dos"
              set-variable %os "msdos"
              !else
              set-variable %os "unix"
              set-variable %os &cond &band $mouse 0x10 "xwin" "unix"
              ; set-variable %os &cond &band $system 0x01 "unix" "xwin"

              ;------------------------------------------------------------
              ; cycle-font: cycles through font sizes
              ;------------------------------------------------------------
              define-macro cycle-font
              ;-----
              ; Windows fonts
              ;-----
              !if &seq %os "mswin"
              ; change-font "name" charSet weight width height
              set-variable %font-number &mod &add %font-number 1 7
              !if &equ %font-number 1
              1 change-font "Fixedsys" 1 0 0 15
              ml-write "[font Fixedsys]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 2
              1 change-font "Lucida Console" 1 0 0 12
              ml-write "[font Lucida Console 12]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 3
              1 change-font "Lucida Console" 1 0 0 11
              ml-write "[font Lucida Console 11]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 4
              1 change-font "vt100" 1 0 0 16
              ml-write "[font vt100 16]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 5
              1 change-font "vt100" 1 0 0 8
              ml-write "[font vt100 8]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 6
              1 change-font "vt100" 1 0 0 12
              ml-write "[font vt100 12]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 7
              1 change-font "Lucida Console" 1 0 0 15
              ml-write "[font Lucida Console 15]"
              !else
              1 change-font "8x13" 1 0 8 13 ; default font (see: cycle-font)
              ml-write "[font 8x13]"
              !endif
              !elif &seq %os "xwin"
              ;-----
              ; X Window fonts
              ;-----
              ; fonts left out: 5x7,
              set-variable %font-number &mod &add %font-number 1 6
              !if &equ %font-number 1
              1 change-font "6x10"
              ml-write "[font 6x10]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 2
              1 change-font "fixed"
              ml-write "[font fixed]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 3
              1 change-font "9x15"
              ml-write "[font 9x15]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 4
              ; TODO: fix this, it doesn't work right at the office :-(
              ; 1 change-font "-b&h-*-bold-r-*-*-14-*-72-72-m-*-*-*"
              ; ml-write "[font
              -b&h-*-bold-r-*-*-14-*-72-72-m-*-*-*]"
              1 change-font
              "-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-14-*-75-75-*-*-*-*"
              ml-write "[font
              -b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-14-*-75-75-*-*-*-*]"
              !elif &equ %font-number 5
              1 change-font "10x20"
              ml-write "[font 10x20]"
              !else ; default: %font-number=0
              !force 1 change-font "8x13"
              ml-write "[font 8x13]"
              !endif
              !else
              ml-write "[No fonts available for this platform]"
              !endif ; xwin

              !emacro
              global-bind-key cycle-font S-f3

              --
              Thomas Hundt
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 6, 2004
                Thomas Hundt wrote:
                > Gabriel wrote:
                > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
                > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                > >
                > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
                > > courier new).
                >
                > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                >
                > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
                > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                > again, the font info is there.
                >
                > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                > including that bit, too.)

                Wish you had mentioned this before could have investigated it.

                Try RC4 which is now available. Suggest that you do not inherit your
                registry file (erf) if you upgrade - start with a clean install
                check that it is working and then move some of your personal
                environment to the newer release.

                I would hope that this will resolve your problems.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 12, 2004
                  Thomas Hundt wrote:

                  > Gabriel wrote:
                  > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
                  > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                  > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                  > >
                  > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                  > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
                  > > courier new).
                  >
                  > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                  >
                  > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
                  > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                  > again, the font info is there.
                  >
                  > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                  > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                  > including that bit, too.)

                  Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-

                  If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
                  the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
                  when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-

                  !if &band $system 0x01
                  ; using a console interface
                  10000 ml-write "Got here"
                  !else

                  If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
                  is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
                  this should not be set in your registry file.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2004
                    I don't get the message -- but then, my font selection is working at the
                    moment.

                    -Th

                    Jon Green wrote:

                    > Thomas Hundt wrote:
                    >

                    >>Gabriel wrote:
                    >> > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
                    >> > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                    >> > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                    >> >
                    >> > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                    >> > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
                    >> > courier new).
                    >>
                    >>I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                    >>
                    >>When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
                    >>resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                    >>again, the font info is there.
                    >>
                    >>However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                    >>called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                    >>including that bit, too.)
                    >>

                    > Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-
                    >
                    > If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
                    > the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
                    > when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-
                    >
                    > !if &band $system 0x01
                    > ; using a console interface
                    > 10000 ml-write "Got here"
                    > !else
                    >
                    > If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
                    > is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
                    > this should not be set in your registry file.

                    Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
                  • first last
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                      I don't get the message either. Still not working.

                      Will try at home (Win 98.2000) when I get a chance to download ME
                      (still on modem).

                      Gabriel
                      --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
                      ---------------------------------
                      Thomas Hundt wrote:

                      > Gabriel wrote:
                      > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts
                      from the
                      > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                      > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                      > >
                      > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                      > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font
                      (normally
                      > > courier new).
                      >
                      > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                      >
                      > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it
                      and
                      > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                      > again, the font info is there.
                      >
                      > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                      > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                      > including that bit, too.)

                      Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-

                      If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
                      the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
                      when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-

                      !if &band $system 0x01
                      ; using a console interface
                      10000 ml-write "Got here"
                      !else

                      If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
                      is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
                      this should not be set in your registry file.

                      modify your account settings manually.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                    • first last
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                        After I wrote to you I went to a cmd window and it appears that there
                        are many fonts called 7x14 in there (in the fonts folder they don't
                        appear with that name), maybe that is messing up ME?

                        Gabriel
                        --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
                        ---------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                          After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
                          ME still doesn't work with the font.

                          Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
                          anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
                          work alright.

                          Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
                          posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.

                          Gabriel
                          --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
                          ---------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                            first last wrote:
                            > After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
                            > ME still doesn't work with the font.
                            >
                            > Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
                            > anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
                            > work alright.
                            >
                            > Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
                            > posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.
                            >
                            > Gabriel

                            The font file that was in your registry was called "7x14" ME expects
                            to find a file called "7x14.fon" or "7x14.ttf". There should only be
                            one in the folder and it should be resident in the fonts
                            folder. I'm not sure how you can have multiple versions of the same
                            font ? Removal of "Outline 2000" will probably not make
                            much difference because the font file name will be different.

                            I'm not a Windows expert, but suggest that you clean out all the fonts
                            you may have added and then import the fixed fonts again into the
                            folder and see if this solves the problem. I assume that when the
                            fonts are imported then they were copied.

                            I've checked through the font code and it looks OK. The font is
                            selected which loads it into memory and effectively locks it
                            which prevents the font from dropping out.

                            I've run out of any other ideas on this problem I know
                            that your machine configuration of ME is OK from your
                            registry dump. I get the impression that -Th problem with
                            2K is fixed with RC4 (which is what we hoped) so it is
                            only XP that is now the issue. Unfortunately I do not
                            have access to XP.

                            Jon.
                          • first last
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                              After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
                              this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).

                              IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
                              Unix fonts.

                              Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.

                              Gabriel

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                                first last wrote:

                                > After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
                                > this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).
                                >
                                > IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
                                > Unix fonts.
                                >
                                > Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.
                                >
                                > Gabriel

                                Hi Gabriel,

                                So to be clear on this issue.

                                The fixed bitmap fonts are OK on all Win32 platforms provided
                                that they are not scaled and are used at 100% size. If the
                                font metric is changed, i.e. 11 point selected when the
                                font only specifies 10 point, then there is a problem.

                                Is this right ?

                              • first last
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                                  They're not OK on XP SP1, but on 98 and 2000 they seem to be alright as
                                  far as you have set up your display to use "small fonts" (the default).
                                  If you change your display to large fonts (120%) they just won't work
                                  at all, not even 6x13.

                                  I assume that Windows resizes the fonts to whatever it feels like
                                  (that's the point of vector fonts, isn't it?) but 7x14 and family being
                                  bitmapped fonts cannot be resized and so they fail.

                                  Changing the font settings from ME (I assume that would actually try to
                                  change the font size and so) does not work either.

                                  --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote: