JASSPA MicroEmacs 2004 Release Status

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
      1st February 2004.

      Keeping you up to date with the 2004 release. We originally
      stated that the next release would be available at the end of
      January. This has not happened and we are planning on pushing
      another Release Candidate (RC4) the reasons are described below.

      The following issues were discussed at some length as RC3 was
      solid enough to release, however if the problems were not
      addressed we would be forced to make another release in the near
      future. From our perspective another quick release is undesirable
      because of the amount of work that it entails.

      The amount of work to correct these issues has been significant
      hence the preference to push RC4 to allow us to correct any minor
      issues that may arise before wrapping the final release.

      Following an internal review of RC3 then it has been decided to
      address the issues of user configuration prior to a full release.
      This specifically addresses the location of user MicroEmacs
      configuration directories and search paths. User configuration
      has traditionally required the setting of external environment
      variables such as $MEPATH and for the user to create a private
      directory to store user settings. This is proving difficult for
      new users who just want to run the editor. RC4 and subsequent
      releases will address these problems by determining the correct
      location for configuration files and create the appropriate files
      and directories under user control.

      The net result of these changes should significantly simplify
      installation and setup as follows:

      * All platforms will be able to run without any manual user setup
      or the requirement for specific MicroEmacs environment
      variables.

      * User defined directories and configuration files will be
      created under editor control on detecting a new user.

      * Existing installations using $MEPATH will be backwards
      compatible with the new build, although users are discouraged
      from continuing to use this variable.

      * All platforms now support a searching jasspa sub-directory
      structure of company / spelling / macros. This was
      traditionally limited to the Windows Install Shield
      installation but has been extended across all platforms.

      * Two new environment variables are provided for user or system
      administrator use. $MEINSTALLPATH defines the location of the
      MicroEmacs standard macros and allows the built in search path
      to be overridden. $MEUSERPATH defines the location of the user
      private configuration directory and allows the user to locate
      their private directory in different location. In a standard
      install neither of these variables will be required.

      * The Microsoft Windows system defined application path will be
      used for user configuration files. This is applicable for
      roaming users where the application directory is stored on a
      server.

      * The use of the me32.ini file on MicroSoft Windows environments
      will become depreciated and is no longer really required.

      * The UNIX path searching is improved. /usr/local/microemacs will
      be depreciated and replaced with /usr/local/jasspa in addition
      other standard path locations are supported on a per-platform
      basis.

      * On UNIX then the directory $HOME/.jasspa shall contain the user
      configuration files. Optionally the company / spelling / macros
      sub-directories may be included in this directory where access
      to the system directory locations by the user is not permitted.
    • Dr. Detlef Groth
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hello,
        I am just writing some javascript inside xml-files . I am
        programming html-components for Mozilla and IE. I observed
        that the javascript support inside html-files is more advanced via
        htmlcore.emf there seems to be also some support for indenting. Is it
        possible to add this also to the xml mode. Be aware that
        xml-javascript in hkxml.emf uses still thae old java setting. There
        is also a coding style which does not end javascript statements with
        semikolons this breaks in the moment the indentation. May be there is
        a workaround for fixing this.

        A header for the xml is here!
        <public:component xmlns:public="urn:HTMLComponent" lightweight="true">
        <public:attach event="onclick" onevent="sortTable()" />
        <public:attach event="onload" for="window" handler="init"/> -->
        <script type="text/javascript">
        //<![CDATA[
        var allNums = false; // boolean variable to see if whole column is numeric
        var allDates = false; // boolean variable to see if column vals are all dates
        var lastSort = -1; // variable to hold last column number sorted
        var absOrder = true; // boolean to sort in reverse if on same column

        regards,
        Detlef

        --
        Dr. Detlef Groth
        Max-Planck-Institut
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
          Hi all. I have downloaded unix fonts from
          http://www.tomasek.cz/semtel/download/fonts.zip, and I can't get them
          to work in ME. I can get them to work on other programs (such as
          notepad) but not on ME.

          I have got 6x13 from somewhere else working, but that is too small for
          1280x960 (shame, it's my favourite programming font).

          I can choose the fonts from the list, but I cannot use them (it goes
          back to some other default font).

          Any hints or have I hit a bug?

          Thanks

          Gabriel

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
            first last wrote:

            > Hi all. I have downloaded unix fonts from
            > http://www.tomasek.cz/semtel/download/fonts.zip, and I can't get them
            > to work in ME. I can get them to work on other programs (such as
            > notepad) but not on ME.
            >
            > I have got 6x13 from somewhere else working, but that is too small for
            > 1280x960 (shame, it's my favourite programming font).
            >
            > I can choose the fonts from the list, but I cannot use them (it goes
            > back to some other default font).
            >
            > Any hints or have I hit a bug?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Gabriel

            Works OK for me ?

            Install the fonts into Windows using:-

            Start->settings->control panel->Fonts
            File->Install ....

            Once installed then select from
            user-setup. No problem !

            The other reason may be is that
            you do not have a user profile and
            have no where to save the information.
            Are you a "guest" user in user-setup ?
            If so it has no where to save your settings.
            If this is the case you will be wanting RC4
            2004 when it is available. You need to set
            yourself up as a user if this is the problem.

            Jon.
          • first last
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2004
              I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
              fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
              "user-setup/platform/choose font.

              The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
              (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
              courier new).

              I have tried everything (changing the script, font size...) and I still
              can't get it right. I just tried with Putty and it works perfectly
              there.

              I have tried with 02-02 and 04-01RC3 (the latest?).

              The only font that works is 6x13 that I got from somewhere else. All
              the settings are saved OK, so it isn't lack of a profile either.

              Changing subject, is there any tutorial for ME macros? After trying
              Eclipse I think that a context-completion option, show profile (as in
              classes/functions/etc) and integrating a parser (IE. PHP for most of my
              work) are a necessity (not really, but they tempt me away from ME, that
              is, until I get sick of the system being too clever for its own good
              and slow).

              Thanks for the answer

              Gabriel

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2004
                Gabriel wrote:
                > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
                > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                >
                > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
                > courier new).

                I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.

                When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
                resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                again, the font info is there.

                However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                including that bit, too.)

                ;------------------------------------------------------------
                ; Determine platform
                ;------------------------------------------------------------
                !if &seq $platform "win32"
                set-variable %os "mswin"
                !else
                !if &seq $platform "dos"
                set-variable %os "msdos"
                !else
                set-variable %os "unix"
                set-variable %os &cond &band $mouse 0x10 "xwin" "unix"
                ; set-variable %os &cond &band $system 0x01 "unix" "xwin"

                ;------------------------------------------------------------
                ; cycle-font: cycles through font sizes
                ;------------------------------------------------------------
                define-macro cycle-font
                ;-----
                ; Windows fonts
                ;-----
                !if &seq %os "mswin"
                ; change-font "name" charSet weight width height
                set-variable %font-number &mod &add %font-number 1 7
                !if &equ %font-number 1
                1 change-font "Fixedsys" 1 0 0 15
                ml-write "[font Fixedsys]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 2
                1 change-font "Lucida Console" 1 0 0 12
                ml-write "[font Lucida Console 12]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 3
                1 change-font "Lucida Console" 1 0 0 11
                ml-write "[font Lucida Console 11]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 4
                1 change-font "vt100" 1 0 0 16
                ml-write "[font vt100 16]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 5
                1 change-font "vt100" 1 0 0 8
                ml-write "[font vt100 8]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 6
                1 change-font "vt100" 1 0 0 12
                ml-write "[font vt100 12]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 7
                1 change-font "Lucida Console" 1 0 0 15
                ml-write "[font Lucida Console 15]"
                !else
                1 change-font "8x13" 1 0 8 13 ; default font (see: cycle-font)
                ml-write "[font 8x13]"
                !endif
                !elif &seq %os "xwin"
                ;-----
                ; X Window fonts
                ;-----
                ; fonts left out: 5x7,
                set-variable %font-number &mod &add %font-number 1 6
                !if &equ %font-number 1
                1 change-font "6x10"
                ml-write "[font 6x10]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 2
                1 change-font "fixed"
                ml-write "[font fixed]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 3
                1 change-font "9x15"
                ml-write "[font 9x15]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 4
                ; TODO: fix this, it doesn't work right at the office :-(
                ; 1 change-font "-b&h-*-bold-r-*-*-14-*-72-72-m-*-*-*"
                ; ml-write "[font
                -b&h-*-bold-r-*-*-14-*-72-72-m-*-*-*]"
                1 change-font
                "-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-14-*-75-75-*-*-*-*"
                ml-write "[font
                -b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-14-*-75-75-*-*-*-*]"
                !elif &equ %font-number 5
                1 change-font "10x20"
                ml-write "[font 10x20]"
                !else ; default: %font-number=0
                !force 1 change-font "8x13"
                ml-write "[font 8x13]"
                !endif
                !else
                ml-write "[No fonts available for this platform]"
                !endif ; xwin

                !emacro
                global-bind-key cycle-font S-f3

                --
                Thomas Hundt
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 6, 2004
                  Thomas Hundt wrote:
                  > Gabriel wrote:
                  > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
                  > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                  > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                  > >
                  > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                  > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
                  > > courier new).
                  >
                  > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                  >
                  > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
                  > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                  > again, the font info is there.
                  >
                  > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                  > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                  > including that bit, too.)

                  Wish you had mentioned this before could have investigated it.

                  Try RC4 which is now available. Suggest that you do not inherit your
                  registry file (erf) if you upgrade - start with a clean install
                  check that it is working and then move some of your personal
                  environment to the newer release.

                  I would hope that this will resolve your problems.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2004
                    Thomas Hundt wrote:

                    > Gabriel wrote:
                    > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
                    > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                    > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                    > >
                    > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                    > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
                    > > courier new).
                    >
                    > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                    >
                    > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
                    > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                    > again, the font info is there.
                    >
                    > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                    > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                    > including that bit, too.)

                    Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-

                    If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
                    the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
                    when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-

                    !if &band $system 0x01
                    ; using a console interface
                    10000 ml-write "Got here"
                    !else

                    If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
                    is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
                    this should not be set in your registry file.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 12, 2004
                      I don't get the message -- but then, my font selection is working at the
                      moment.

                      -Th

                      Jon Green wrote:

                      > Thomas Hundt wrote:
                      >

                      >>Gabriel wrote:
                      >> > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts from the
                      >> > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                      >> > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                      >> >
                      >> > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                      >> > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font (normally
                      >> > courier new).
                      >>
                      >>I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                      >>
                      >>When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it and
                      >>resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                      >>again, the font info is there.
                      >>
                      >>However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                      >>called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                      >>including that bit, too.)
                      >>

                      > Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-
                      >
                      > If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
                      > the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
                      > when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-
                      >
                      > !if &band $system 0x01
                      > ; using a console interface
                      > 10000 ml-write "Got here"
                      > !else
                      >
                      > If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
                      > is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
                      > this should not be set in your registry file.

                      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
                    • first last
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                        I don't get the message either. Still not working.

                        Will try at home (Win 98.2000) when I get a chance to download ME
                        (still on modem).

                        Gabriel
                        --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
                        ---------------------------------
                        Thomas Hundt wrote:

                        > Gabriel wrote:
                        > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts
                        from the
                        > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
                        > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
                        > >
                        > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
                        > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font
                        (normally
                        > > courier new).
                        >
                        > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
                        >
                        > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it
                        and
                        > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
                        > again, the font info is there.
                        >
                        > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
                        > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
                        > including that bit, too.)

                        Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-

                        If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
                        the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
                        when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-

                        !if &band $system 0x01
                        ; using a console interface
                        10000 ml-write "Got here"
                        !else

                        If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
                        is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
                        this should not be set in your registry file.

                        modify your account settings manually.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                      • first last
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                          After I wrote to you I went to a cmd window and it appears that there
                          are many fonts called 7x14 in there (in the fonts folder they don't
                          appear with that name), maybe that is messing up ME?

                          Gabriel
                          --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
                          ---------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                            After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
                            ME still doesn't work with the font.

                            Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
                            anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
                            work alright.

                            Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
                            posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.

                            Gabriel
                            --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
                            ---------------------------------

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
                              first last wrote:
                              > After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
                              > ME still doesn't work with the font.
                              >
                              > Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
                              > anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
                              > work alright.
                              >
                              > Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
                              > posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.
                              >
                              > Gabriel

                              The font file that was in your registry was called "7x14" ME expects
                              to find a file called "7x14.fon" or "7x14.ttf". There should only be
                              one in the folder and it should be resident in the fonts
                              folder. I'm not sure how you can have multiple versions of the same
                              font ? Removal of "Outline 2000" will probably not make
                              much difference because the font file name will be different.

                              I'm not a Windows expert, but suggest that you clean out all the fonts
                              you may have added and then import the fixed fonts again into the
                              folder and see if this solves the problem. I assume that when the
                              fonts are imported then they were copied.

                              I've checked through the font code and it looks OK. The font is
                              selected which loads it into memory and effectively locks it
                              which prevents the font from dropping out.

                              I've run out of any other ideas on this problem I know
                              that your machine configuration of ME is OK from your
                              registry dump. I get the impression that -Th problem with
                              2K is fixed with RC4 (which is what we hoped) so it is
                              only XP that is now the issue. Unfortunately I do not
                              have access to XP.

                              Jon.
                            • first last
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                                After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
                                this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).

                                IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
                                Unix fonts.

                                Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.

                                Gabriel

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                                  first last wrote:

                                  > After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
                                  > this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).
                                  >
                                  > IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
                                  > Unix fonts.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.
                                  >
                                  > Gabriel

                                  Hi Gabriel,

                                  So to be clear on this issue.

                                  The fixed bitmap fonts are OK on all Win32 platforms provided
                                  that they are not scaled and are used at 100% size. If the
                                  font metric is changed, i.e. 11 point selected when the
                                  font only specifies 10 point, then there is a problem.

                                  Is this right ?

                                • first last
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
                                    They're not OK on XP SP1, but on 98 and 2000 they seem to be alright as
                                    far as you have set up your display to use "small fonts" (the default).
                                    If you change your display to large fonts (120%) they just won't work
                                    at all, not even 6x13.

                                    I assume that Windows resizes the fonts to whatever it feels like
                                    (that's the point of vector fonts, isn't it?) but 7x14 and family being
                                    bitmapped fonts cannot be resized and so they fail.

                                    Changing the font settings from ME (I assume that would actually try to
                                    change the font size and so) does not work either.

                                    --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote: