Re: [jasspa] Me 2004 bug? Key Entry

  • Jeremy Cowgar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
      On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 15:32, Jon Green wrote:
      > > Any idea how I can tell what Key Code it is? Sorry for the simple
      > > question, but I don't know.
      >
      > M-x describe-key
      >
      > Then hit the key giving you a problem.
      > Will display the key code that it received.

      Thank you, this now works. I added:

      global-bind-key void "\xEB"

      Thanks again for the help!

      Jeremy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
        Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
        > On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 14:42, Jon Green wrote:
        >
        >>If you do not want it then globally bind it to "void"
        >>
        >>i.e.
        >>
        >>global-bind-key void "<key code>"
        >>

        > Any idea how I can tell what Key Code it is? Sorry for the simple
        > question, but I don't know.

        M-x describe-key

        Then hit the key giving you a problem.
        Will display the key code that it received.

        If there are multiple keys being sent in then
        use:

        M-x list-variables

        and find the variable $recent-keys this
        will show you all of the keys that
        have come in recently. Trouble with
        $recent-keys is that you have to type
        keys to get to it. What I normally is
        temporarily bind list variables to
        a key i.e.

        M-x global-bind-key<CR>
        global bind:list-variables<CR>
        to:<f9>

        The binding should now be set up, now enter
        the following sequence of keys.

        <f9> - should get variable list with new binding.
        <duff key> - strike duff key once
        <f9> - should update the variable list

        Your duff key codes will be between the two f9's
        in the variable $recent-keys.

        If there are multiple characters received then
        use translate-key to turn them into nothing or
        somethiong else. Could also use translate-key
        to turn a single key into nothing - I think this
        works - if it does translate key is better than
        the void binding to get rid of the key.

        Jon.