Me 2004 bug? Key Entry

  • Jeremy Cowgar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
      Greetings.

      I use the Ion window manager for X windows and it supports all sort of
      hot keys, such as the "Start Key" on many "window enhanced" keyboards
      and right and left arrow keys. This causes my virtual screens to rotate.

      Under ME 2002, I had no problems whatsoever with this, but as soon as I
      upgraded to ME 2004, when I press the start key, in my edit window I get
      an "e" with two dots on top of it. No doubt an extended character.

      At first thought it would seem to be a problem with my window manager,
      but then at a deeper glance I think a few things:

      1. It did not happen with ME 2002

      and

      2. It does not happen with any other program or any other editor, only
      ME 2004.

      I would gladly try some fixes if anyone has any ideas. I would even try
      digging around in the source myself, if I knew at all where to go.

      Thanks,

      Jeremy
    • Jeremy Cowgar
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
        On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 14:42, Jon Green wrote:
        > If you do not want it then globally bind it to "void"
        >
        > i.e.
        >
        > global-bind-key void "<key code>"

        Any idea how I can tell what Key Code it is? Sorry for the simple
        question, but I don't know.

        Jeremy
      • Jeremy Cowgar
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
          On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 15:32, Jon Green wrote:
          > > Any idea how I can tell what Key Code it is? Sorry for the simple
          > > question, but I don't know.
          >
          > M-x describe-key
          >
          > Then hit the key giving you a problem.
          > Will display the key code that it received.

          Thank you, this now works. I added:

          global-bind-key void "\xEB"

          Thanks again for the help!

          Jeremy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
            Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
            > Greetings.
            >
            > I use the Ion window manager for X windows and it supports all sort of
            > hot keys, such as the "Start Key" on many "window enhanced" keyboards
            > and right and left arrow keys. This causes my virtual screens to rotate.
            >
            > Under ME 2002, I had no problems whatsoever with this, but as soon as I
            > upgraded to ME 2004, when I press the start key, in my edit window I get
            > an "e" with two dots on top of it. No doubt an extended character.
            >
            > At first thought it would seem to be a problem with my window manager,
            > but then at a deeper glance I think a few things:
            >
            > 1. It did not happen with ME 2002

            Lucky! You have an extra key on your keyboard at your disposal, we
            all like these !

            > and
            >
            > 2. It does not happen with any other program or any other editor, only
            > ME 2004.

            We updated the X-Windows handling of keys in 2004.
            In 2002 it was probably being ignored. In 2004
            we take as many as we can and squirt them into the
            application.

            If you do not want it then globally bind it to "void"

            i.e.

            global-bind-key void "<key code>"

            If this is a Window Manager key then I am surprised that
            it is delivered to the application. May be able to take it
            out in the window manager config file, however I would
            recommend the "void" method. See also translate-key
            which might have some usefult information.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
              Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
              > On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 14:42, Jon Green wrote:
              >
              >>If you do not want it then globally bind it to "void"
              >>
              >>i.e.
              >>
              >>global-bind-key void "<key code>"
              >>

              > Any idea how I can tell what Key Code it is? Sorry for the simple
              > question, but I don't know.

              M-x describe-key

              Then hit the key giving you a problem.
              Will display the key code that it received.

              If there are multiple keys being sent in then
              use:

              M-x list-variables

              and find the variable $recent-keys this
              will show you all of the keys that
              have come in recently. Trouble with
              $recent-keys is that you have to type
              keys to get to it. What I normally is
              temporarily bind list variables to
              a key i.e.

              M-x global-bind-key<CR>
              global bind:list-variables<CR>
              to:<f9>

              The binding should now be set up, now enter
              the following sequence of keys.

              <f9> - should get variable list with new binding.
              <duff key> - strike duff key once
              <f9> - should update the variable list

              Your duff key codes will be between the two f9's
              in the variable $recent-keys.

              If there are multiple characters received then
              use translate-key to turn them into nothing or
              somethiong else. Could also use translate-key
              to turn a single key into nothing - I think this
              works - if it does translate key is better than
              the void binding to get rid of the key.

              Jon.