MicroEmacs '04 - Release Candidate 1 now available

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
      The first release candidate for the up and coming
      MicroEmacs '04 release has been posted to
      www.jasspa.com. There are a limited number of
      binaries available for download, otherwise
      build from source. We are aware of a number
      of other changes which have not been published
      yet, these will appear in later release candidates
      or the final version.

      Please report any problems that you experience
      with this release as soon as possible so that
      we may fix them before the final release.

      Most of the changes to this release have been
      posted to http://www.jasspa.com/history.html.
      One exception is Steves latest speed ups to
      the macro language which I benchmarked this
      evening, a nice surprise, results below.

      A big thanks to Steve for all of his hard
      work to get this release out.

      The following are benchmark figures for MicroEmacs running on
      different machines with different compilers.

      Running % me "@benchmrk" results.txt

      1.0 SunBlade 100 (SPARC IIi 500MHz) - 2002-12 - Forte 8.0 Compiler (-xO3)

      @ Get(sec) Set(sec)
      Test1: 95 103
      Test2: 224 223
      Test3: 220 238
      Test4: 224 234
      Test5: 251 275
      Test6: 241 236
      Test7: 235 308
      Test8: 209 226
      Test9: 188 227

      1.1 SunBlade 100 (SPARC IIi 500MHz) - 2003-06 - Forte 8.0 Compiler (-xO3)

      @ Get(sec) Set(sec)
      Test1: 78 77
      Test2: 103 118
      Test3: 112 127
      Test4: 119 129
      Test5: 132 140
      Test6: 114 141
      Test7: 130 141
      Test8: 87 104
      Test9: 87 104

      1.2 SunBlade 100 (SPARC IIi 500MHz) - 2003-06 - Forte 7.0 Compiler (-xO3)

      @ Get(sec) Set(sec)
      Test1: 78 83
      Test2: 117 125
      Test3: 128 145
      Test4: 129 131
      Test5: 130 139
      Test6: 133 134
      Test7: 132 150
      Test8: 94 106
      Test9: 93 112

      1.3 SunBlade 100 (SPARC IIi 500MHz) - 2003-06 - GCC 3.2.2 Compiler (-O3)

      @ Get(sec) Set(sec)
      Test1: 99 97
      Test2: 124 136
      Test3: 142 154
      Test4: 130 148
      Test5: 140 163
      Test6: 140 157
      Test7: 147 164
      Test8: 110 121
      Test9: 108 127

      1.4 SunBlade 100 (SPARC IIi 500MHz) - 2004-01 - Forte 8.0 Compiler (-xO3)

      @ Get(sec) Set(sec)
      Test1: 63 62
      Test2: 94 113
      Test3: 100 123
      Test4: 93 115
      Test5: 106 121
      Test6: 100 117
      Test7: 106 128
      Test8: 67 92
      Test9: 69 91
    • Jeremy Cowgar
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
        Fantastic! I downloaded, compiled and installed ASAP, no compilation
        problems, visible changes seen already, enjoying it!

        Thanks!

        (ArchLinux)

        ----
        jeremy <jc@...>

        Today's luxuries become tomorrows necessities
      • Dr. Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
          Hello,

          Great news:

          I have some problems with the abbreviation folds in the toolbar:

          In principle it seems that the abbreviations must be openend at
          startup to work properly.

          ; perl.eaf
          "" "<FOLD->\ecCControl Flow:\ecA"
          if "if (\p) {\r\r}\P" " if"
          elsif "elsif (\p) {\r\r}\P" " elsif"
          else "else {\r\p\r}\P" " else"
          while "while (\p) {\r\r}\P" " while"
          foreach "foreach (@\p) {\r\r}\P" " foreach"
          for "for (my $x = 0 ; $x < \p ; $x++) {\r\r}\P" " for"
          sub "sub \p{\r\r}\P" " sub"
          "" "</FOLD><FOLD->\ecCFile Handling:\ecA "
          open "open (\pFILE, \"FILE\") or die \"Could not open file at $!\"
          ;\r\rclose (FILE);\P" " open file"
          whilef "while (<FILE>) {\r next if /^\\n/ ;\r \p\r }\P" " while file"
          openpipe "open (PIPE, \"ls -lt |\") or die \"Could not open pipe at
          $!\" ;\r while (<PIPE>) {\r print ;\r }\rclose PIPE;" "
          open pipe"
          "" "</FOLD>"

          If I replace <FOLD-> with <FOLD+> some strange things are happened (.
          the Fold is opened despite the `+' and after unfolding duplicate
          entries or even stranger things). It would be also better if after a
          tolbar-refresh the scope is at the beginning but not at the end of the
          buffer.

          regards,
          Detlef

          --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@j...> wrote:
          > The first release candidate for the up and coming
          > MicroEmacs '04 release has been posted to
          > www.jasspa.com. There are a limited number of
          > binaries available for download, otherwise
          > build from source. We are aware of a number
          > of other changes which have not been published
          > yet, these will appear in later release candidates
          > or the final version.
          >
          > Please report any problems that you experience
          > with this release as soon as possible so that
          > we may fix them before the final release.
          <snip>
        • Dr. Detlef Groth
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
            Hello,

            forget this previous posting, my own old abbrlist.emf in my home does
            this error.

            Two of my abbreviation files for Perl (with Control Flow, File
            Handling, Tk, CGI, DBI, Tie etc) and Tcl (Tix, BWidgets, Tj-Widgets,
            Snit etc) can be found here or may included in the final release:
            http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/perl.eaf
            http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/tcl.eaf

            regards,
            Detlef

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
              Wowww, that caught me by surprise, I was not expecting Jon to push that version up...

              Firstly this macro release does not contain the correct php support, nor the lua & html-lua support, I nearly have this ready to go so I will push this out soon, probably later today.

              For those that use the toolbar:

              I have made a lot of fixes and replaced/removed some of the tools (ftp-files had to go and the file list tool is no longer link to the browser as I could not get this working correctly and not cripple the browser). I recommend that you remove each toolbar and re-create it as this will ensure that you setup has the correct settings.

              For those that have their own file hooks:

              I have changed the buffer-initialize* functions to buffer-init* and added another function which should be called at the end of the file. Also you may have settings for the old function folding feature, this feature has changed to collapse so 'set-variable .fhook-???.fold-open' should now be .fhook-???.collapse-open. (The reason for the change is that ME can now be used as a proper folding editor, try loading fold.emf, this is do to vast improvements to the narrowing capability with makes narrowing easy and safe to use, try the main menus -> Edit -> Narrow commands)

              See any fhook in this release for examples of how fhooks should be.

              For those with Favorites:

              The hot key char has changed from '&' to '\H' so to fix your favorite list go to main menus File -> Favorites -> Edit and in the buffer change '&' (1 character) to '\H' (2 chars).

              For those with OSD dialogs:

              That's brave! The same '&' -> '\H' change has been made and you may also find lots of ".."s at the end on menu items, this is due to a change in the behaviour of the 'd' flag. If you have any problems up-dating you dialogs I suggest you email me, preferably with the macro code.

              I think that covers most issues,

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
                Phillips, Steven wrote:

                > Wowww, that caught me by surprise, I was not expecting Jon to push that version up...

                It certainly focuses one on the issues
                does it not !

                The information contained in this email and in any attachments
                may be privileged and confidential.
                The information is designated solely for the attention and use of
                the intended recipient(s).
                If you are not the intended recipient(s), please be aware that any
                disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
                information is prohibited.
                by telephone or email immediately.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
                  Phillips, Steven wrote:
                  > Wowww, that caught me by surprise, I was not expecting Jon to push that version up...

                  The comments on the new release migration are now publish
                  at at the following location if you need to reference them:-

                  http://www.jasspa.com/whatsnew.html

                  Jon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 16, 2004
                    Detlef,

                    Thanks for these abbreviation files, the perl is much better and its good to get a tcl one. I have added these for the next release,