Re: Wiki

  • Dr. Detlef Groth
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2004
      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Cowgar <jc@c...> wrote:
      > Quoting Jon Green <jon@j...>:
      > > Nice. Can certainly add a link from
      > > the Jasspa site.
      > >
      > > Need to sort out how to include backslashes (\)
      > > in the literal text bodies and for them to
      > > be rendered correctly. Once this is
      > > sorted out then content will be displayed
      > > correctly.
      >
      > Yes, I will get that figured out.... to make it work though, people
      > need to contribute information :-)
      >
      > Jeremy
      Hello Jeremy,

      Is this stuff with the backslashes fixed ?
      I tried to add some code for tcl-templates
      http://microemacs.cowgar.com/wiki.php/TclExtendedTemplate
      but it gets more and more backslashed.

      I like Wikis and mostly I like the tcl-Version (Wikit) see:
      http://mini.net/tcl/ which is one file, could be viewed online with a
      webserver and browse and offline (if downloaded) like a help file. I
      have one server runnining in our intranet and it works like a charme.

      Wikit looks not that nice like MoniWiki but it easier to navigate in
      my mind.

      Anyway thanks for your work!

      regards,
      Detlef
    • Jeremy Cowgar
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 8, 2004
        On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 05:00, Dr. Detlef Groth wrote:
        > Hello Jeremy,
        >
        > Is this stuff with the backslashes fixed ?
        > I tried to add some code for tcl-templates
        > http://microemacs.cowgar.com/wiki.php/TclExtendedTemplate
        > but it gets more and more backslashed.
        >
        > I like Wikis and mostly I like the tcl-Version (Wikit) see:
        > http://mini.net/tcl/ which is one file, could be viewed online with a
        > webserver and browse and offline (if downloaded) like a help file. I
        > have one server runnining in our intranet and it works like a charme.
        >
        > Wikit looks not that nice like MoniWiki but it easier to navigate in
        > my mind.

        I do not have Tcl on my web server, however, I am familure with a few
        other wikis, Wikit being one. I have never had troubles with MoniMoni,
        however, the more I try to fix things the more bugs I am finding.

        I have setup another Wiki that I have used in the past. I have put a few
        of the pages into it to see how it's going to work. Please visit the
        temporary URL and let me know if you find any problems or have
        suggestions.

        Also, if anyone has a favorite Wiki implementation that uses Perl or
        PHP, please let me know... I am willing to look at others at this point.

        > Anyway thanks for your work!

        Thank you for contributing. I am only sorry that you found a show stopping bug. Once a wiki is choosen, I'll ask if you could please add in your Tcl mode.

        Thanks!

        Jeremy
      • Dr. Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2004
          --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Cowgar <jc@c...> wrote:
          > On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 05:00, Dr. Detlef Groth wrote:
          > > Hello Jeremy,
          > >
          > > Is this stuff with the backslashes fixed ?
          > > I tried to add some code for tcl-templates
          > > http://microemacs.cowgar.com/wiki.php/TclExtendedTemplate
          > > but it gets more and more backslashed.
          > >
          > > I like Wikis and mostly I like the tcl-Version (Wikit) see:
          > > http://mini.net/tcl/ which is one file, could be viewed online with a
          > > webserver and browse and offline (if downloaded) like a help file. I
          > > have one server runnining in our intranet and it works like a charme.
          > >
          > > Wikit looks not that nice like MoniWiki but it easier to navigate in
          > > my mind.
          >
          > I do not have Tcl on my web server, however, I am familure with a few

          Installing TclTk is quite easy with the Tclkit-approach. Just grab a
          executable for your platform from http://www.equi4.com/pub/tk/8.4.5/
          or an older version. It is one executable file with all libraries
          included and some popular libraries included too (metakit-database,
          Itcl - object orientation). Installing wikit is just an other file

          see for wikit with inbuild tclhttpd webserver:
          http://www.freewebs.com/headsup/wikit.htm
          your could run it on an port like 81.

          This has the advantage that the whole wiki is stored in one file which
          can be also viewed offline. Just execute `tclkit httpdwikit.kit` and a
          new fresh wiki is created.

          > other wikis, Wikit being one. I have never had troubles with MoniMoni,
          > however, the more I try to fix things the more bugs I am finding.
          >
          > I have setup another Wiki that I have used in the past. I have put a few
          > of the pages into it to see how it's going to work. Please visit the
          > temporary URL and let me know if you find any problems or have
          > suggestions.

          where is the url to check ?

          > Also, if anyone has a favorite Wiki implementation that uses Perl or
          > PHP, please let me know... I am willing to look at others at this point.

          My favourite it the Tclers one (Running on dozens of platforms (Mac,
          Unixes, Winds) as a webservice or as a desktop application with just
          two files everywhere).

          regards,
          Detlef

          <snip>
        • Jeremy Cowgar
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 9, 2004
            On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 03:48, Dr. Detlef Groth wrote:

            > Installing TclTk is quite easy with the Tclkit-approach. Just grab a
            > executable for your platform from http://www.equi4.com/pub/tk/8.4.5/
            > or an older version. It is one executable file with all libraries
            > included and some popular libraries included too (metakit-database,
            > Itcl - object orientation). Installing wikit is just an other file

            I use it in a production environment and have as little software
            installed as necessary. I do not wish to install more software on the
            system.

            > > other wikis, Wikit being one. I have never had troubles with MoniMoni,
            > > however, the more I try to fix things the more bugs I am finding.
            > >
            > > I have setup another Wiki that I have used in the past. I have put a few
            > > of the pages into it to see how it's going to work. Please visit the
            > > temporary URL and let me know if you find any problems or have
            > > suggestions.
            >
            > where is the url to check ?

            Opps! http://lua.cowgar.com (don't be fooled by the url, it's just a
            dummy host I have setup that I test a lot of things with).

            > > Also, if anyone has a favorite Wiki implementation that uses Perl or
            > > PHP, please let me know... I am willing to look at others at this point.
            >
            > My favourite it the Tclers one (Running on dozens of platforms (Mac,
            > Unixes, Winds) as a webservice or as a desktop application with just
            > two files everywhere).

            ----
            jeremy <jc@...>

            Yesterday it was evil, today it's OK, tomorrow it's praised
          • Dr. Detlef Groth
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 12, 2004
              >Opps! http://lua.cowgar.com (don't be fooled by the url, it's just a
              >dummy host I have setup that I test a lot of things with

              I would favour this one, its nicer and easier to navigate, it seems
              also to be less buggy (one bug I observed that you can't provide two code blocks:
              %%(me) ... %% ...
              %%(me) ... %%)

              Missing is a link to the formatting rules.

              regards,
              Detlef

              --
              Dr. Detlef Groth
              Max-Planck-Institut
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 12, 2004
                On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 03:14, Dr. Detlef Groth wrote:
                > >Opps! http://lua.cowgar.com (don't be fooled by the url, it's just a
                > >dummy host I have setup that I test a lot of things with
                >
                > I would favour this one, its nicer and easier to navigate, it seems
                > also to be less buggy (one bug I observed that you can't provide two code blocks:
                > %%(me) ... %% ...
                > %%(me) ... %%)
                >
                > Missing is a link to the formatting rules.

                I do too. I fixed the two code block problem, and the formatting rules
                is just somthing I did not add yet because I didn't want to spend a lot
                of time on it if we decided on something else.

                I will begin the conversion and probably this evening put it on
                microemacs.cowgar.com .

                Any other input before I make this move?

                Jeremy
              • Jeremy Cowgar
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 12, 2004
                  The new Wiki system is up and online. Please give feedback.

                  http://microemacs.cowgar.com

                  ----
                  jeremy <jc@...>

                  Today's luxuries become tomorrows necessities
                • Jeremy Cowgar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 14, 2004
                    On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 06:24, Jon Green wrote:
                    > Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
                    >
                    > > The new Wiki system is up and online. Please give feedback.
                    > >
                    > > http://microemacs.cowgar.com
                    > >

                    > Can you fix up the "Macros" page
                    > for user contributed Macros. I cannot
                    > see how I add a new page with a
                    > contribution on it. Need to make
                    > a new page to add at the end of the
                    > list. Some of the pages have "?"
                    > to add - this one does not seem
                    > to ?

                    As Jon has said, you can click Edit Page at the bottom and add in what
                    they call CamelCase words. This will create a link to a page. If the
                    page does not exist, it will include a ? at the end. By clicking the ?
                    you get to edit that page.

                    So, to add a user submitted macro, you can do something like:

                    1. Click Edit on the Macros Page
                    2. Add something like:

                    MyCoolMacro: does a lot of neat things.

                    3. Save
                    4. Click the '?' after MyCoolMacro
                    5. Enter your macro text:

                    == My Cool Macro ==

                    This macro does some cool things. Everyone should have it!

                    %%(me)
                    macro code
                    macro code
                    macro code
                    %%

                    6. Click Save.

                    You have now just created a link, created a page, filled the page and
                    saved the page.

                    Some of the pages still have ? after them because they are what I see as
                    how the Macro page should be, but they are information that I cannot
                    fill in because I do not have enough information on knowledge on the
                    subject.

                    People wishing to contribute to the Wiki are encouraged to visit:

                    http://microemacs.cowgar.com/wakka.php?wakka=WantedPages

                    That contains links to pages that are not yet created. If you have
                    enough knowledge on the particular subject, fill it in! A wiki is meant
                    to be maintained by everyone.

                    If you feel that the structure of the pages should be changed, rearrange
                    it. The wiki is versioned, previous pages are never deleted, but stored
                    with a version number. The new page is always the latest version and is
                    displayed by default. So, we can revert to any previous version we wish.
                    The Wiki is also backed up on a nightly basis.

                    Jeremy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 14, 2004
                      Jeremy Cowgar wrote:

                      > The new Wiki system is up and online. Please give feedback.
                      >
                      > http://microemacs.cowgar.com

                      Can you fix up the "Macros" page
                      for user contributed Macros. I cannot
                      see how I add a new page with a
                      contribution on it. Need to make
                      a new page to add at the end of the
                      list. Some of the pages have "?"
                      to add - this one does not seem
                      to ?

                      Thanks

                      The information contained in this email and in any attachments
                      may be privileged and confidential.
                      The information is designated solely for the attention and use of
                      the intended recipient(s).
                      If you are not the intended recipient(s), please be aware that any
                      disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
                      information is prohibited.
                      by telephone or email immediately.
                    • Dr. Detlef Groth
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 14, 2004
                        Just Press `Edit this Page' at the bottom add the Text you want. For
                        creating new Pages add something like: MyNewPage (remark the capital
                        letters) this will be recognized as a link after saving. If the page
                        does not exist this question marks appears. Click on it, edit and
                        save!

                        NB: mixed case words (LikeThis?) do not need to be enclosed in
                        brackets. For internal links (inside this Wiki), the complete URL
                        should not be written
                        (otherwise the link will not work). Add «http://" only for
                        external links.
                        see:
                        http://microemacs.cowgar.com/wakka.php?wakka=HelpOnEditing&v=39a

                        NB: mixed case words (LikeThis?) do not need to be enclosed in
                        brackets. For internal links (inside this Wiki), the complete URL
                        should not be written
                        (otherwise the link will not work). Add «http://" only for
                        external links.

                        NB: To prevent a WordLikeThis from becoming a link, place a ~ (tilda)
                        in front of it.

                        regards,
                        Detlef