RE: [jasspa] micro emacs zaurus x11

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004

      > > PS: I had to remove some spaces ("File " etc) in the
      > menu so that it
      > > fits in the screen (640x480 resolution)
      > >

      > This is probably a bad thing to do I would suggest that
      > you loose a menu item i.e. "Execute" or "Window" or
      > something like that. This is probably easier to
      > configure out than to start editing the indevidual
      > layouts - mainly because of the maintenance issues.

      Not sure about the best approach for this, on most systems the window size is large enough to display the main menu. With such a restricted size you are probably going to hit other issues (like spell-buffer dialog being too large to be usable). The main menu entries have not change in a long time (several years) so personally I think reducing the item label lengths would be okay.

      The most logical place to put these changes for the main menu would be in the %platform file, i.e. the zaurus.emf file, but due to the order in which things are done in me.emf this will not currently work. I will look into shifting the position if the main menu definition to before the execution of the platform setup file so the zaurus.emf file can make the required changes.

      Steve
    • Pierre Gaston
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004
        Jon Green wrote:

        >Pierre Gaston wrote:
        >

        >>Hi,
        >>I've compiled ME (experimental version) for a Sharp zaurus running x11
        >>

        >Not sure what this is ? Resolution of 640x480 would
        >imply that this is some sort of PDA ? If this is the
        >case then this port is more interesting than most
        >because you are very constricted on resources.

        Yes it's a Sharp pda running linux, I've got a Sharp Zaurus 860
        (available only in Japan but you can get it from various online shops)

        It normally comes with a qtembed environnement and
        a binary for me console is available here
        :http://sourceforge.net/projects/zaurus-emacs/

        I uses it with x11 (see http://www.cacko.biz) and me compiles out of
        the box (-m linux2.gmk) without a problem.

        Please let me know if you want more information

        >>It works fine except:
        >>* under x11 the rigth shift key produce an extra accented u , and the
        >>function key
        >>

        >I suggest you wait a few days for the '04 code to be
        >published.

        Ok

        >You need to enable the printf's and see what X is generating
        >when the right shift key is pressed. It is likely that your
        >implementation of X-Windows is using a different modifier
        >so you can see above that Linux and Sunos are different.
        >Once you have established what X is doing then you would
        >be better conditionally compiling the fix
        >
        >#if (defined _ZAURUS)
        > .... mode map fix ....
        >#endif

        I'll try to have a look at this

        >>PS: I had to remove some spaces ("File " etc) in the menu so that it
        >>fits in the screen (640x480 resolution)
        >>

        >This is probably a bad thing to do I would suggest that
        >you loose a menu item i.e. "Execute" or "Window" or
        >something like that. This is probably easier to
        >configure out than to start editing the indevidual
        >layouts - mainly because of the maintenance issues.

        or move the content of the execute menu inside window or edit?

        Thanks for your answers

        Pierre
      • Pierre Gaston
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
          >You need to enable the printf's and see what X is generating
          >when the right shift key is pressed. It is likely that your
          >implementation of X-Windows is using a different modifier
          >so you can see above that Linux and Sunos are different.
          >Once you have established what X is doing then you would
          >be better conditionally compiling the fix
          >
          >#if (defined _ZAURUS)
          > .... mode map fix ....
          >#endif

          Ok I've been looking into this, here is what I found out:

          * The Right_shift key is yelding a 0xfef9 XK_Pointer_Enable_keys, I've
          made a quick fix but before
          providing it, I've asked the reason to this starnge binding to the guys
          porting x11 to the zaurus.

          * The Function key is bind to 0xff7e XK_Mode_switch. Again an easy fix
          that work was to tell assign KeySym
          to XK_Shift_Rigth when 0xfff7e is read, but I wonder if a better fix
          won't be to create a new special key (SKEY_mode_switch or whatever).

          Please let me know what you think about this.

          I will also try the 04 release asap.

          Thanks again.
          Pierre