Re: [jasspa] micro emacs zaurus x11

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004
      Pierre Gaston wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I've compiled ME (experimental version) for a Sharp zaurus running x11

      Not sure what this is ? Resolution of 640x480 would
      imply that this is some sort of PDA ? If this is the
      case then this port is more interesting than most
      because you are very constricted on resources.

      > It works fine except:
      > * under x11 the rigth shift key produce an extra accented u , and the
      > function key
      > (which is used to produce extra key like * = etc...) an extra ~.
      > Do I need to fix this with translate-key for each shift- function
      > combinaison or is there a better solution?
      > I am a bit worried about that as it doesn't seem to produce first a ~
      > then a * and not a ~*.
      >
      > I've allready made some attempt but as I am new to ME they were not very
      > successfull yet and get some seg fault
      > trying to execute things like translate-key "~*" "*"
      >
      > No that this beahviour is only under x11, it works fine inside the console.

      I suggest you wait a few days for the '04 code to be
      published. There is some new X-Windows code for translating
      the keyboard characters using the keysym definitions
      which we did not use in older versions. This may not fix
      your problem, but you will be able to better trace what
      X is delivering to you and fix it.

      I cannot remember what is in the experimental version
      there may be some code like the following:-

      ss = event.xkey.state ;
      XLookupString(&event.xkey,keyStr,20,&keySym,NULL);
      /* printf("#1 got key %x, ss=%x \n",(unsigned int) keySym,
      ss) ;*/
      /* Map Mod2 which is ALT-GR onto A-C */
      #if (defined _SUNOS)
      /* SunOS <> mapped tp modifier key 4 */
      if (ss & (Mod4Mask))
      {
      ss &= ~(Mod4Mask);
      ss |= ControlMask | Mod1Mask;
      }
      #endif
      #if (defined _LINUX)
      /* Linux mapped to modifier key 3 */
      if (ss & (Mod3Mask))
      ss = (ss & ~(Mod3Mask)) | ControlMask | Mod1Mask;
      #endif

      /* keyStr[19] = '\0' ;
      printf("got key %x, ss=%x [%s]\n",(unsigned int) keySym,
      ss, keyStr) ;*/
      /* printf("#2 got key %x, ss=%x \n",(unsigned int) keySym,
      ss) ;*/

      You need to enable the printf's and see what X is generating
      when the right shift key is pressed. It is likely that your
      implementation of X-Windows is using a different modifier
      so you can see above that Linux and Sunos are different.
      Once you have established what X is doing then you would
      be better conditionally compiling the fix

      #if (defined _ZAURUS)
      .... mode map fix ....
      #endif

      > * Where the default frame size is defined? I want to modify this as the
      > default size is bigger than the screen size,
      > or better is their a way to start me maximized.

      Set the frame size in your start up file i.e.

      ; Define my hilighting colour for Windows and UNIX.
      !if &equ &band $system 0x001 0
      ; Alternative selection colour - fed up with this - back to default !!
      set-variable $cursor-blink 750
      ; Change the size of the screen
      change-frame-width 102 <--- Change to what you require.
      change-frame-depth 50 <--- Change to what you require.
      !if ¬ &seq $platform "win32"
      change-font "-*-clean-medium-r-*-*-*-130-*-*-*-*-*-*"

      Or, change the Xdefaults using something like:-

      MicroEmacs.font: "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-*-*-*-c-80-iso8859-1"
      MicroEmacs.geometry: <Width> x <Height> <PosX> <PosY>

      > * Is their an option ot modify the beahviour of me with regards to the
      > long lines, ie is their something to automatically wrap long lines on
      > the display without modifying the line, like in GnuEmacs?

      No, not at the moment.

      > Thanks
      > Pierre
      >
      > PS: I had to remove some spaces ("File " etc) in the menu so that it
      > fits in the screen (640x480 resolution)

      This is probably a bad thing to do I would suggest that
      you loose a menu item i.e. "Execute" or "Window" or
      something like that. This is probably easier to
      configure out than to start editing the indevidual
      layouts - mainly because of the maintenance issues.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004

        > > PS: I had to remove some spaces ("File " etc) in the
        > menu so that it
        > > fits in the screen (640x480 resolution)
        > >

        > This is probably a bad thing to do I would suggest that
        > you loose a menu item i.e. "Execute" or "Window" or
        > something like that. This is probably easier to
        > configure out than to start editing the indevidual
        > layouts - mainly because of the maintenance issues.

        Not sure about the best approach for this, on most systems the window size is large enough to display the main menu. With such a restricted size you are probably going to hit other issues (like spell-buffer dialog being too large to be usable). The main menu entries have not change in a long time (several years) so personally I think reducing the item label lengths would be okay.

        The most logical place to put these changes for the main menu would be in the %platform file, i.e. the zaurus.emf file, but due to the order in which things are done in me.emf this will not currently work. I will look into shifting the position if the main menu definition to before the execution of the platform setup file so the zaurus.emf file can make the required changes.

        Steve
      • Pierre Gaston

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004
            Jon Green wrote:

            >Pierre Gaston wrote:
            >

            >>Hi,
            >>I've compiled ME (experimental version) for a Sharp zaurus running x11
            >>

            >Not sure what this is ? Resolution of 640x480 would
            >imply that this is some sort of PDA ? If this is the
            >case then this port is more interesting than most
            >because you are very constricted on resources.

            Yes it's a Sharp pda running linux, I've got a Sharp Zaurus 860
            (available only in Japan but you can get it from various online shops)

            It normally comes with a qtembed environnement and
            a binary for me console is available here
            :http://sourceforge.net/projects/zaurus-emacs/

            I uses it with x11 (see http://www.cacko.biz) and me compiles out of
            the box (-m linux2.gmk) without a problem.

            Please let me know if you want more information

            >>It works fine except:
            >>* under x11 the rigth shift key produce an extra accented u , and the
            >>function key
            >>

            >I suggest you wait a few days for the '04 code to be
            >published.

            Ok

            >You need to enable the printf's and see what X is generating
            >when the right shift key is pressed. It is likely that your
            >implementation of X-Windows is using a different modifier
            >so you can see above that Linux and Sunos are different.
            >Once you have established what X is doing then you would
            >be better conditionally compiling the fix
            >
            >#if (defined _ZAURUS)
            > .... mode map fix ....
            >#endif

            I'll try to have a look at this

            >>PS: I had to remove some spaces ("File " etc) in the menu so that it
            >>fits in the screen (640x480 resolution)
            >>

            >This is probably a bad thing to do I would suggest that
            >you loose a menu item i.e. "Execute" or "Window" or
            >something like that. This is probably easier to
            >configure out than to start editing the indevidual
            >layouts - mainly because of the maintenance issues.

            or move the content of the execute menu inside window or edit?

            Thanks for your answers

            Pierre
          • Pierre Gaston
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
              >You need to enable the printf's and see what X is generating
              >when the right shift key is pressed. It is likely that your
              >implementation of X-Windows is using a different modifier
              >so you can see above that Linux and Sunos are different.
              >Once you have established what X is doing then you would
              >be better conditionally compiling the fix
              >
              >#if (defined _ZAURUS)
              > .... mode map fix ....
              >#endif

              Ok I've been looking into this, here is what I found out:

              * The Right_shift key is yelding a 0xfef9 XK_Pointer_Enable_keys, I've
              made a quick fix but before
              providing it, I've asked the reason to this starnge binding to the guys
              porting x11 to the zaurus.

              * The Function key is bind to 0xff7e XK_Mode_switch. Again an easy fix
              that work was to tell assign KeySym
              to XK_Shift_Rigth when 0xfff7e is read, but I wonder if a better fix
              won't be to create a new special key (SKEY_mode_switch or whatever).

              Please let me know what you think about this.

              I will also try the 04 release asap.

              Thanks again.
              Pierre