[jasspa] Re: request for help file changes

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
      There is a search engine! "Apropos" (^H-a)! I use it all the time, but it doesn't cover functions and variables, only commands.

      -Th

      [Jon Green 07:54 PM 10/7/99 +0100]

    • bill@jasspa.freeserve.co.uk
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
        The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
        all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface
        but it works. And while we're at it I don't see why you can't search for
        "^!...&" to find all the &???? functions and generate a list which you can
        shove into an osd dialog and there you have it!

        The only downer to this is you will probably end up with two copies of me.ehf
        loaded, one internal and one external. So I'm tempted to change the help
        slightly and make the internal loaded version visible and then theres no
        problem.

        I think this would be fast enough to be useful, a general search tool could be
        wrapped in etc. I'm amazed at how easy this stuff is when you think about it
        in the right way.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
          Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one development machine.

          Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.

          -Th

          |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
          |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface
        • Steven Phillips,,,
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
            The me.ehf file contains all the on-line help, which is used be all the ME
            help commands such as help-*, command-apropros etc. with out this file these
            commands will not work. (Should complain that the on-line help is not found)

            On the subject of the fill-paragraph and ifill-paragraph you may not need the
            wrapper command. I would imagine that you mainly use the command using the
            "esc q" or "esc o" key bindings. To fix these bindings to work as you prefer
            simply re-bind them to have a numerical argument, i.e.:

            1 global-bind-key ifill-paragraph "esc q"

            Steve

            > Subject: [jasspa] Re: request for help file changes
            > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
            > Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:46:26 -0700
            > To: jasspa@egroups.com
            >
            > Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file
            > that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one
            > development machine.
            >
            > Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.
            >
            > -Th
            >

            > |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
            > |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest
            > interface

            > Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
            > Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
            > Learn2 Negotiate a Raise. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965

          • Jonathan Naughton-Green
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 1999
              me.ehf is the internal help file so when you do "M-x help" then this is
              where it gets it's information from. The content is exactly the same
              as the HTML/winhelp files - this is what I typically use. I never use
              the other formats.

              If you have moved it somewhere else and it still works, then this is
              either still in the search path or there is another copy of it
              somewhere in the system - an old release perhaps ??

              It is big (1MB), so there is no point in having multiple copies of this
              floating around. If you remove it all together no harm will come, you
              just will not get any help within the context of the editor.

              Saving more space
              -----------------
              If you are short of space and do not need spelling you can also remove
              all of the dictionary files (.edf), these again are large.

              Jon.

              Thomas Hundt wrote:

              > Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one development machine.
              >
              > Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.
              >
              > -Th
              >
              > |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
              > |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface

              > Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
              > Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
              > Learn2 Negotiate a Raise. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965

              Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

              SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
              The Communication Centre
              South Street
              Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
              MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
              TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
              England Email (home): jon@...
            • Detlef Groth
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 1999
                At 19:54 07.10.99 +0100, you wrote:
                >This works very well. Pity that it is Microsoft only !!
                >(I'm no fan of Microsoft I'm afraid).
                >
                >I'm not sure what else we can do for pre-generated
                >documentation (i.e. all of the pages are static and
                >self contained) unless we pick a number of keywords and
                >start generating an index - this does not appear to
                >be the best way of going about things because we
                >will not get the required coverage.
                >
                >I guess a search engine in ME might do the trick. This
                >would be a search through the help file and find all
                >of the referencing pages - scoring is difficult unless you
                >just do it on a count - this would probably work.
                >
                >Something to think about later .....
                >
                >Detlef has presented a good solution in the interim for
                >Windows. I'm not sure how he generated it though !
                >
                >Regards
                >Jon.

                I was generating it with the HTML-Help-Workshop and with the hhc-compiler from MS. The next html-help-files from the next Me-release will be processed again to the chm-Format. I found it quite boring to scroll so much through the help-files. Although it is MS...

                best regards,
                Detlef