[jasspa] Re: request for help file changes

  • Detlef Groth
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
      At 10:32 01.10.99 -0700, you wrote:
      >I think it would be a Good Idea to have a Help>Functions page.
      >
      >I often have to look up the documentation for a function. To get there, I have to do Help>General Help and then click on Macro Development, and then go down the list. This is very nonintuitive -- I'm programmed to look for "functions" (like in the documentation for every other computer language I've ever used).
      >
      >What would also be good is a comprehensive index. There must be some programs out there to pull out a list of keywords from a set of html or text files. (The old Unix manuals had a permuted index, which pulled out a keyword and a few more following words from each line in which it occurred. This was pretty slick. There must be code out there to generate this! Probably in the comp.sources.unix archives.)
      >
      >Thanks for your consideration.

      I'am using for these reasons a selfcompiled me.chm file, which is the compressed html-documentation, requiring IE 4.0 and Win9x (Sorry!) I think, that this HTML-Help-System allows better searches (AND, OR etc.) and has a separate header and favorites menu. So "A-s" and par example "latex" and "ENTER" shows you what you want.
      Faster it should not be possible.

      If you - or others - are interested, I can give you the opportunity to download the file from the www. (721 kb, includes already the index and it is not zipped - zipping can not further reduce the filesize).

      Any suggestions for better organization of the Contents-Browser and problem reports are welcome.

      I hope the file can be downloaded here:

      http://www.xdrive.com/share/?WSZwEHecoxgsihS4xYJTCTHvVtsS1qym

      If you have any problems mail me directly:

      dgroth@...

      Best regards,

      Detlef
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
        This works very well. Pity that it is Microsoft only !!
        (I'm no fan of Microsoft I'm afraid).

        I'm not sure what else we can do for pre-generated
        documentation (i.e. all of the pages are static and
        self contained) unless we pick a number of keywords and
        start generating an index - this does not appear to
        be the best way of going about things because we
        will not get the required coverage.

        I guess a search engine in ME might do the trick. This
        would be a search through the help file and find all
        of the referencing pages - scoring is difficult unless you
        just do it on a count - this would probably work.

        Something to think about later .....

        Detlef has presented a good solution in the interim for
        Windows. I'm not sure how he generated it though !

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
          There is a search engine! "Apropos" (^H-a)! I use it all the time, but it doesn't cover functions and variables, only commands.

          -Th

          [Jon Green 07:54 PM 10/7/99 +0100]

        • bill@jasspa.freeserve.co.uk
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
            The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
            all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface
            but it works. And while we're at it I don't see why you can't search for
            "^!...&" to find all the &???? functions and generate a list which you can
            shove into an osd dialog and there you have it!

            The only downer to this is you will probably end up with two copies of me.ehf
            loaded, one internal and one external. So I'm tempted to change the help
            slightly and make the internal loaded version visible and then theres no
            problem.

            I think this would be fast enough to be useful, a general search tool could be
            wrapped in etc. I'm amazed at how easy this stuff is when you think about it
            in the right way.

            Steve

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
              Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one development machine.

              Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.

              -Th

              |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
              |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface
            • Steven Phillips,,,
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
                The me.ehf file contains all the on-line help, which is used be all the ME
                help commands such as help-*, command-apropros etc. with out this file these
                commands will not work. (Should complain that the on-line help is not found)

                On the subject of the fill-paragraph and ifill-paragraph you may not need the
                wrapper command. I would imagine that you mainly use the command using the
                "esc q" or "esc o" key bindings. To fix these bindings to work as you prefer
                simply re-bind them to have a numerical argument, i.e.:

                1 global-bind-key ifill-paragraph "esc q"

                Steve

                > Subject: [jasspa] Re: request for help file changes
                > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                > Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:46:26 -0700
                > To: jasspa@egroups.com
                >
                > Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file
                > that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one
                > development machine.
                >
                > Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.
                >
                > -Th
                >

                > |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
                > |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest
                > interface

                > Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
                > Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
                > Learn2 Negotiate a Raise. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965

              • Jonathan Naughton-Green
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 1999
                  me.ehf is the internal help file so when you do "M-x help" then this is
                  where it gets it's information from. The content is exactly the same
                  as the HTML/winhelp files - this is what I typically use. I never use
                  the other formats.

                  If you have moved it somewhere else and it still works, then this is
                  either still in the search path or there is another copy of it
                  somewhere in the system - an old release perhaps ??

                  It is big (1MB), so there is no point in having multiple copies of this
                  floating around. If you remove it all together no harm will come, you
                  just will not get any help within the context of the editor.

                  Saving more space
                  -----------------
                  If you are short of space and do not need spelling you can also remove
                  all of the dictionary files (.edf), these again are large.

                  Jon.

                  Thomas Hundt wrote:

                  > Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one development machine.
                  >
                  > Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.
                  >
                  > -Th
                  >
                  > |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
                  > |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface

                  > Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
                  > Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
                  > Learn2 Negotiate a Raise. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965

                  Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

                  SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
                  The Communication Centre
                  South Street
                  Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
                  MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
                  TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
                  England Email (home): jon@...
                • Detlef Groth
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 1999
                    At 19:54 07.10.99 +0100, you wrote:
                    >This works very well. Pity that it is Microsoft only !!
                    >(I'm no fan of Microsoft I'm afraid).
                    >
                    >I'm not sure what else we can do for pre-generated
                    >documentation (i.e. all of the pages are static and
                    >self contained) unless we pick a number of keywords and
                    >start generating an index - this does not appear to
                    >be the best way of going about things because we
                    >will not get the required coverage.
                    >
                    >I guess a search engine in ME might do the trick. This
                    >would be a search through the help file and find all
                    >of the referencing pages - scoring is difficult unless you
                    >just do it on a count - this would probably work.
                    >
                    >Something to think about later .....
                    >
                    >Detlef has presented a good solution in the interim for
                    >Windows. I'm not sure how he generated it though !
                    >
                    >Regards
                    >Jon.

                    I was generating it with the HTML-Help-Workshop and with the hhc-compiler from MS. The next html-help-files from the next Me-release will be processed again to the chm-Format. I found it quite boring to scroll so much through the help-files. Although it is MS...

                    best regards,
                    Detlef