Re: [jasspa] How to search forward for selection

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
      Steve wrote:
      > So at the cost of an extra return isearch can become the standard
      > search-forward

      Cool :-)

      > (I bet no one knew that either - does anyone rtfm??).

      Not if we think we know how it works already :-D

      Also RTFM is an area where ME could use some improvement. It's pretty
      painful at the moment. Specifically, the box that pops up when you do
      General Help from the menu is cumbersome. One can't isearch, for
      example ;-) And using the mouse wheel to scroll moves the darned thing
      instead of scrolling. And there's no scroll bar. And scrolling wraps
      from the end back to the beginning. And the cursor bar seems to fight
      between mouse and keyboard control (when you do PgUp and PgDn, for
      example). And the search order is case-sensitive. And the window is
      too small. And doesn't go away when you select something.

      Sorry for all the gripes. I'm sure nobody wants to work on the
      documentation!! ;-)

      --
      Thomas Hundt
    • Mike Hopkirk
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
        The proposal made for handling keys in isearch sounds fine = Its a
        thorny problem
        given the dynamic behaviour and uncertainty about intent that editing
        the search string
        causes ..
        FWIW I'd say editing the isearch string shpuld restart the search from
        the start point rather than any current hit but thats just me...

        "Phillips, Steven" wrote:

        > One thing I neglected to mention that I guess I should is that if you do 'C-s return' (i.e. execute isearch and then press Enter) isearch drops into the standard message line editing mode in which it remains until you type one of the following:
        >
        > C-g - abort
        > C-s - isearch forward for the current message line content
        > C-r - isearch backward for current ml content
        > return - perform a search-forward for current ml content, i.e. isearch becomes search-forward
        >
        > So at the cost of an extra return isearch can become the standard search-forward

        Sure - thats sometime useful when isearch isnt doing what you want, its
        not
        ideal if what you want is to just do a search...

        >(I bet no one knew that either - does anyone rtfm??). So what ever you can do in search-forward you can easily do with isearch-forward!

        The cost - an extra cognitive dissonance keystroke to get into the right
        mode is
        still non-optimal
        It'd be as convenient if there was a keystroke in search that boosted
        the
        search to an isearch as well...
        making both searches just search modes..

        > So who's still using search-forward??

        me - extra keystrokes to get where I want isnt goanna cut it....
        -- hops
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
          > Also RTFM is an area where ME could use some improvement. It's pretty
          > painful at the moment. Specifically, the box that pops up when you do
          > General Help from the menu is cumbersome. One can't isearch, for
          > example ;-) And using the mouse wheel to scroll moves the darned thing
          > instead of scrolling. And there's no scroll bar. And scrolling wraps
          > from the end back to the beginning. And the cursor bar seems to fight
          > between mouse and keyboard control (when you do PgUp and PgDn, for
          > example). And the search order is case-sensitive. And the window is
          > too small. And doesn't go away when you select something.
          >
          > Sorry for all the gripes. I'm sure nobody wants to work on the
          > documentation!! ;-)

          So how come it has taken you several years before you bring these problems to our attention? There I was merrily thinking that the world was rosy and all the time the docs interface was pants!

          Seriously though, please send us you gripes when you find them otherwise they may never be fixed. Just because we implemented a feature does not mean that we use it ourselves and therefore aware of its short comings.