Re: How to search forward for selection

  • salmankhilji
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003
      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@p...> wrote:

      > However, I am curious as to why you are using search-forward in the
      first place? I only use this command in macros (where I would not rely
      on C-w anyway), I can think of no other reason for using
      search-forward over isearch-forward and can think of many reasons for
      using isearch in preference. If isearch is lacking please explain and
      I will try to fill the gap,

      I agree on this one. I have never felt the need to use
      search-forward. Always used isearch-forward.

      And that C-w thing works great.

      Salman
    • Mike Hopkirk
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003
        "Phillips, Steven" wrote:

        > On all but isearch C-w can be currently used to clear the message line so it is not easy for us to simply change this as it may hinder more people than it helps.

        possibly either make the keys in search line bindable/overidable
        OR
        make C-w in isearch clear message line as well and introduce a new
        keystroke for
        inserting current selection into search string....
        (Its not very sensible to have two different bindings for the same
        insertion for variants of the same command ..)

        Allowing binding here allows distribution defaults to continue
        to keep the backward compatible behaviour but support customizing for
        thoise who want it...

        > However, I am curious as to why you are using search-forward in the first place? I only use this command in macros (where I would not rely on C-w anyway), I can think of no other reason for using search-forward over isearch-forward and can think of many reasons for using isearch in preference. If isearch is lacking please explain and I will try to fill the gap,

        Some prefer isearch, some (minority probably) prefer search - I'm one of
        the latter..
        The original push was so I could paste ( mouse-selections MB2) text
        hilited from anywhere on screen (X11) - that didnt work with isearch - I
        think it does better with jasspa
        version but its behaviour is still unexpected...

        On an earlier version of uemacs I'd extended the cmdline handling to
        support some
        macro chars that expanded into the search line

        %h -> home dir path
        %d -> todays date
        %% -> %
        %b -> buffer name
        %f -> buffer filename
        %i -> '/usr/include'
        %s -> existing search string
        %r -> replacement string
        %{ENV_VAR} -> environment value
        Cant do that with incremental-search

        -- hops
      • Mike Hopkirk
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003
          Jon Green wrote:

          > Thomas Hundt wrote:
          > > > On all but isearch C-w can be currently used to clear the message line
          > > > so it is not easy for us to simply change this as it may hinder more
          > > > people than it helps.
          > >
          > > I like the ^W feature in isearch (now that I know it's there!) but agree
          > > that there ought to be a way to clear the search text (^A ^K doesn't
          > > work) since I do this all the time (by cancelling the search and
          > > starting over) when I mistype something at the beginning of the search text.
          > >
          > > -Th
          > >

          > I must admit I did not know that ^W existed.

          Ditto - ^W to me on cmdline is delete a word
          > I also think
          > that ^A (possibly ^P) that returned to an editable
          > search-forward type command line which is resumed to
          > isearch-forward by ^S would actually be quite nice.

          big emacs/Xemacs does something like this - I found it more confusing
          than helpful
          in being able to determine what searching mode you were in and what
          keystrokes toggled you back and fwd and did searches and ...

          -- hops
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003

            Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003
              Thomas Hundt wrote:
              > > On all but isearch C-w can be currently used to clear the message line
              > > so it is not easy for us to simply change this as it may hinder more
              > > people than it helps.
              >
              > I like the ^W feature in isearch (now that I know it's there!) but agree
              > that there ought to be a way to clear the search text (^A ^K doesn't
              > work) since I do this all the time (by cancelling the search and
              > starting over) when I mistype something at the beginning of the search text.
              >
              > -Th

              I must admit I did not know that ^W existed. I also think

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                All,

                Isearch is a bit of an oddity and breaks many of the conventions in this area, this is not just ME's isearch but Big emacs too and there are good reasons for this.

                I will not bore you with all the reasons I can think of, but I will try to highlight the main one. Consider doing an isearch at the top of this email and isearch for 'isX' ME would first find the 'is' on the first line and then jump to the last line which has the first occurrence of "isX". Now consider executing C-a C-k, does this mean you want to go back to the top and search for a new string or start from the current location for a new string, I think probably the latter. Given this now consider executing C-a ' instead, i.e. changing the search string from "isX" to "'isX", given that the cursor is at the first isX which does have a ' preceding it should ME move one character back and match at the current location? Almost certainly so, in which case what does it mean to do C-a . * instead (i.e. change to ".*isX") and how is the history (using the backspace) meant to cope?

                For those who lost the will to live in the middle of that paragraph the summary is that if you start allowing standard message line editing such as C-a the behaviour becomes ambiguous, very complex and everyone will starts losing the will to live (especially me who'd probably end up trying to implement it!).

                So I think the trick is to keep the isearch command simple and predictable and learn how to get around its short comings in the most efficient way possible. So to take the above as an example, if I was searching for isX and I wanted to change this to 'isX I would do the following:

                C-a - go to beginning of the line, this exits the Isearch keeping 'isX' in the search history.

                C-s - execute isearch

                C-up - enter the standard message line editing with "isX" (this works only for the first key), 'esc p' also works. This gives you full access to all the search history and all standard message-line editing.

                C-a - go to beginning of search string

                ' - alter search string

                C-s - search for it.

                A very quick and easy way to overcome this common problem (and works in big emacs as well),

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                  One thing I neglected to mention that I guess I should is that if you do 'C-s return' (i.e. execute isearch and then press Enter) isearch drops into the standard message line editing mode in which it remains until you type one of the following:

                  C-g - abort
                  C-s - isearch forward for the current message line content
                  C-r - isearch backward for current ml content
                  return - perform a search-forward for current ml content, i.e. isearch becomes search-forward

                  So at the cost of an extra return isearch can become the standard search-forward (I bet no one knew that either - does anyone rtfm??). So what ever you can do in search-forward you can easily do with isearch-forward!

                  So who's still using search-forward??

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                    Steve wrote:
                    > So at the cost of an extra return isearch can become the standard
                    > search-forward

                    Cool :-)

                    > (I bet no one knew that either - does anyone rtfm??).

                    Not if we think we know how it works already :-D

                    Also RTFM is an area where ME could use some improvement. It's pretty
                    painful at the moment. Specifically, the box that pops up when you do
                    General Help from the menu is cumbersome. One can't isearch, for
                    example ;-) And using the mouse wheel to scroll moves the darned thing
                    instead of scrolling. And there's no scroll bar. And scrolling wraps
                    from the end back to the beginning. And the cursor bar seems to fight
                    between mouse and keyboard control (when you do PgUp and PgDn, for
                    example). And the search order is case-sensitive. And the window is
                    too small. And doesn't go away when you select something.

                    Sorry for all the gripes. I'm sure nobody wants to work on the
                    documentation!! ;-)

                    --
                    Thomas Hundt
                  • Mike Hopkirk
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                      The proposal made for handling keys in isearch sounds fine = Its a
                      thorny problem
                      given the dynamic behaviour and uncertainty about intent that editing
                      the search string
                      causes ..
                      FWIW I'd say editing the isearch string shpuld restart the search from
                      the start point rather than any current hit but thats just me...

                      "Phillips, Steven" wrote:

                      > One thing I neglected to mention that I guess I should is that if you do 'C-s return' (i.e. execute isearch and then press Enter) isearch drops into the standard message line editing mode in which it remains until you type one of the following:
                      >
                      > C-g - abort
                      > C-s - isearch forward for the current message line content
                      > C-r - isearch backward for current ml content
                      > return - perform a search-forward for current ml content, i.e. isearch becomes search-forward
                      >
                      > So at the cost of an extra return isearch can become the standard search-forward

                      Sure - thats sometime useful when isearch isnt doing what you want, its
                      not
                      ideal if what you want is to just do a search...

                      >(I bet no one knew that either - does anyone rtfm??). So what ever you can do in search-forward you can easily do with isearch-forward!

                      The cost - an extra cognitive dissonance keystroke to get into the right
                      mode is
                      still non-optimal
                      It'd be as convenient if there was a keystroke in search that boosted
                      the
                      search to an isearch as well...
                      making both searches just search modes..

                      > So who's still using search-forward??

                      me - extra keystrokes to get where I want isnt goanna cut it....
                      -- hops
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
                        > Also RTFM is an area where ME could use some improvement. It's pretty
                        > painful at the moment. Specifically, the box that pops up when you do
                        > General Help from the menu is cumbersome. One can't isearch, for
                        > example ;-) And using the mouse wheel to scroll moves the darned thing
                        > instead of scrolling. And there's no scroll bar. And scrolling wraps
                        > from the end back to the beginning. And the cursor bar seems to fight
                        > between mouse and keyboard control (when you do PgUp and PgDn, for
                        > example). And the search order is case-sensitive. And the window is
                        > too small. And doesn't go away when you select something.
                        >
                        > Sorry for all the gripes. I'm sure nobody wants to work on the
                        > documentation!! ;-)

                        So how come it has taken you several years before you bring these problems to our attention? There I was merrily thinking that the world was rosy and all the time the docs interface was pants!

                        Seriously though, please send us you gripes when you find them otherwise they may never be fixed. Just because we implemented a feature does not mean that we use it ourselves and therefore aware of its short comings.