A few more improvements requested

  • salmankhilji
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
      Thanks Jon...your string-rectangle works as I expected.

      Before I can divorce XEmacs for its slow performance, I would like two
      more features:

      1) When I issue a make command in XEmacs, the make commands are
      executec in "real-time". I see the commands are they are running.
      Also each make command is colored....the command itself is in green.
      Any errors appear in red....warnings from gcc appear in orange. If an
      error occurs during the build I can move my cursor on the error line
      and hit return. XEmacs then opens that file with error on the line
      where the error occured. Alternatively I can do "C-x ~" to cycle thru
      the errors and warnings during the build. MicroEmacs kinda "hangs up"
      and displays the results of the build after all the build commands are
      completed.

      I am using "Esc !" to get to the place where it aks me what command to
      run and then I issue the "make" command.

      2) If I issue an rgrep command, it asks me all the questions and then
      displays the results of the grep, but if I move my cursor over one of
      the results and hit <enter> nothing happens. In XEmacs, I can jump to
      the file and line number where the keyword was found.

      Salman
    • salmankhilji
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2003
        Sorry, I figure out some of these myself.

        For 1) You use the <compile> command instead of the <pipe> command.
        Colorizing the make output would still be a big plus+

        For 2) You move your mouse cursor BEFORE the item and then Issue:

        C-x `

        Salman
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
          salmankhilji wrote:
          > Sorry, I figure out some of these myself.
          >
          > For 1) You use the <compile> command instead of the <pipe> command.
          > Colorizing the make output would still be a big plus+

          Just prototyped this, it is possible and will
          be supported in the next release - there are a
          few logistics remaining to sort out.

          > For 2) You move your mouse cursor BEFORE the item and then Issue:
          >
          > C-x `

          Simple way is to double click the error line,
          then loads the file in error and takes you to
          the line.

          Since you are coming from XEmacs, the mouse behaviour
          in "info" files and "man" pages is different. Double click
          with the mouse on the link and it will take you to the
          linked page/reference.

          From your previous comment also looking at supporting
          <return> on the error line so that the error file is
          loaded and moved to the correct line position.

          Jon.

          > Salman

        • Dr. Detlef Groth
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
            <snip>
            Hello Steven, Jon.

            The only thing I really miss is a foldable favourites tab in the
            toolbar. This would provide great project management. And files could
            spread around the world. I tried several times to implement it by
            myself porting the abbreviation-folding code to the favourites but
            always failed.

            Thanks,
            Detlef
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
              This seems reasonable enough although I'm not sure how I'm going to implement support for this in in the main File menu....

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Dr. Detlef Groth
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
                Hello Steven,

                thanks for your answer.

                I don't need it in the File menu just in the Toolbar would be enough.
                I tend to use never the File Menu at all.

                May be it would similar like the improved Buffer popup/menu we have
                done recently in the menu. But just 2 levels of hierarchy like in the
                buffer-menu would be enough. I have several projects with files
                attached to them. Okay 3 levels would be my programming languages
                (Perl, Tcl, Java, ME ...) their projects, their files ...

                But just the toolbar would be enough.

                I am willing to test and contribute as much as a I can.

                regards,
                Detlef

                --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@p...>
                wrote:
                > This seems reasonable enough although I'm not sure how I'm going to
                implement support for this in in the main File menu....

                > Steve

                Lexmark