Re: [jasspa] hippie-expand from GNU Emacs

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      balaclavabob2 wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > Is there any macro in microemacs which mimics the GNU Emacs hippie-expand?
      >
      > hippie-expand is like an autocomplete while typing within a buffer.
      >
      > For example:
      >
      > int blah1, blah2, blah3;
      >
      > Now if I typed 'b' and then activated 'hippie-expand' I would get
      > 'blah1' then if I pressed it again I would get 'blah2' instead.
      >
      > This is SO useful when using long variable names and if it is not
      > included it shouldn't be to hard to make a macro for it?
      >
      > I don't have the time or the patience to make/test a macro todo this.
      >
      > Bob

      Hi Bob,

      I'm not familier with hippie-expand. At the moment there
      is an auto look-back expansion which kind of does
      what you are looking for.

      Assuming that you are running the latest release 12/02
      then:

      M-x user-setup
      Goto "General"
      And on the "Abbrev Expansion" then enable
      "Lookbk" (I usually enable "Dic't" as well).
      Then "Save" and "Current"

      <esc><esc> bound to "expand-abbrev-handle" (if you want
      to re-bind) will then look back, match and then expand
      whatever it finds that matches the starting string at
      the cursor.

      i.e.

      elephant
      giraffe
      kangaroo

      ele<esc><esc> -> elephant

      May be with a little tweeking to the macros then we could
      give you the previous occurence etc. as per hippe, but it
      is not doing this at the moment.

      Other useful thing may be...

      There is also the "occur" macro (right mouse option
      may also be bound to S-F7). This opens another
      window and finds occurences which can be quite useful
      in moving around the file or simply copying out of
      the window.

      See how you go with these, if you've some more
      suggestions of what we could do then get back to us.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        It looks like Emacs's hippie-expand is very similar to ME's expand-abbrev-handle in that it tries different methods to get an expansion. The behaviour described below is the 'try-expand-dabbrev' part of it which is similar to ME's expand-look-back command. The ability to search back further if executed again is a useful extension which I'll try to implement, not sure when though,

        Steve

        > Is there any macro in microemacs which mimics the GNU Emacs hippie-expand?
        >
        > hippie-expand is like an autocomplete while typing within a buffer.
        >
        > For example:
        >
        > int blah1, blah2, blah3;
        >
        > Now if I typed 'b' and then activated 'hippie-expand' I would get
        > 'blah1' then if I pressed it again I would get 'blah2' instead.
        >
        > This is SO useful when using long variable names and if it is not
        > included it shouldn't be to hard to make a macro for it?
        >
        > I don't have the time or the patience to make/test a macro todo this.
        >
        > Bob

        Hi Bob,

        I'm not familier with hippie-expand. At the moment there
        is an auto look-back expansion which kind of does
        what you are looking for.

        Assuming that you are running the latest release 12/02
        then:

        M-x user-setup
        Goto "General"
        And on the "Abbrev Expansion" then enable
        "Lookbk" (I usually enable "Dic't" as well).
        Then "Save" and "Current"

        <esc><esc> bound to "expand-abbrev-handle" (if you want
        to re-bind) will then look back, match and then expand
        whatever it finds that matches the starting string at
        the cursor.

        i.e.

        elephant
        giraffe
        kangaroo

        ele<esc><esc> -> elephant

        May be with a little tweeking to the macros then we could
        give you the previous occurence etc. as per hippe, but it
        is not doing this at the moment.

        Other useful thing may be...

        There is also the "occur" macro (right mouse option
        may also be bound to S-F7). This opens another
        window and finds occurences which can be quite useful
        in moving around the file or simply copying out of
        the window.

        See how you go with these, if you've some more
        suggestions of what we could do then get back to us.

        modify your account settings manually.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2003
          Bob,

          Attached is an improved version of the abbreviation handler which has 'hippie-expand' style behaviour (calling expand-abbrev-handle (esc esc) multiple times will make it look back further).

          This version of abbrev.emf works well on my latest version of ME and I believe it will work on all recent releases but I would still back-up your version of this file in case it does not work.

          Let me know if this fits the bill,

          Steve