Re: [jasspa] a couple of simple(? and probably silly) questions

  • jegunn
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
      Thanks much, Jon, and sorry. I did *not* read the release notes and,
      in fact, started with my .erf file from me99, just like the notes
      said not to do. mea culpa.

      I eagerly await the new source. I have not built me from source before,
      but have all the tools and will certainly give it a go.

      As to the setup, I think I have done it correctly; looks functionally just
      like yours (except that I use bash), and I have things in the right order:

      export MEPATH=$HOME/.jasspa02:/usr/local/jasspa02

      but seemingly whenever I go to user-setup and actually *do* anything
      at all, $HOME/.jasspa02/jeg.emf gets replaced by a trivial file of
      the same name with a fancy header but with no content. ??

      thanks much

      --jim

      On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Jon Green wrote:

      > jegunn wrote:
      > > Curioser and curioser. I was able to get rid of the underlining by turning
      > > 'use-fonts' off in the user setup, which seemed to do nothing visible
      > > except change $system from 30866 to 30850, which seemed to do nothing at
      > > all when I had done it 'by hand' before. I incidentally have a *MAJOR*
      > > unhappiness with user-setup; almost anything you do, even if it should not
      > > touch user.emf, seems to wipe out your user.emf file with all your
      > > carefully crafted macros and bindings. I am sure I am using it wrong, but
      > > the documentation, while seemingly complete, is not much help in avoiding
      > > this problem. I learned years ago just to keep it backed up and restore
      > > it, but I wonder what the point of setting it up this way is.
      > >

      > It sounds like your configuration is incorrect.
      > Within your .zshenv/.cshrc/.profile add something
      > like the following:-
      >
      > #
      > # Set up Microemacs
      > #
      > MEPATH=$HOME/.microemacs:/opt/jasspa/company:/opt/jasspa/macros:/opt/jasspa/spelling
      > export MEPATH
      >
      > Create the directory $(HOME)/.microemacs and place
      > your local config files in here (<logname>.emf etc.)
      > Logout/In or re-source the start-up script and
      > it should then work OK. The path order is important
      > here and your own directory should appear first in
      > the list.
      >
      > With respect to fonts, my system setting is something
      > like this (1600x1200 display) - values taken from the .erf
      > file, no underline problems etc. I hope that you read
      > the notes on the 12/02 release, you cannot move the
      > .erf file between older releases, if you do then this
      > causes problems (similar to the ones you describe).
      > It should not be necessary to mess with the $system
      > bits, the only time that I have ever needed to do this
      > is with a problematic TTY console configuration, the
      > rest of the time the user-setup is sufficient.
      <SNIP>
      > Yep, there are some problems here on my Sun under Solaris.
      > Just applying a fix now to use <X11/keysym.h> to perform
      > the mapping. This should give a good translation into ME.
      > I'll also test it under Linux (Slackware) and then push
      > the fixes up onto jasspa.com. Note that this build will
      > include a number of newer features as it comes from the
      > top of the CVS development tree, but is stable. Will
      > push early next week which will give me a chance to
      > test it properly - I will assume that you can build
      > from source - let me know if you want a binary image.

      <SNIP>
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2003
        jegunn wrote:
        > Thanks much, Jon, and sorry. I did *not* read the release notes and,
        > in fact, started with my .erf file from me99, just like the notes
        > said not to do. mea culpa.
        >
        > I eagerly await the new source. I have not built me from source before,
        > but have all the tools and will certainly give it a go.
        >
        > As to the setup, I think I have done it correctly; looks functionally just
        > like yours (except that I use bash), and I have things in the right order:
        >
        > export MEPATH=$HOME/.jasspa02:/usr/local/jasspa02
        >
        > but seemingly whenever I go to user-setup and actually *do* anything
        > at all, $HOME/.jasspa02/jeg.emf gets replaced by a trivial file of
        > the same name with a fancy header but with no content. ??
        >
        > thanks much
        >
        > --jim

        Jim,

        I've uploaded a new build (with Linux executable) you
        will find it at http://www.jasspa.com/experimental.html
        This should fix the problems with the keypad also
        you will get some new keys that were previously unmapped.

        A bit of a larger job than I expected as my PC went
        down and had to re-build a new PC - still gave me the
        opportunity to upgrade to Linux Slackware 9.0.

        I'm still at a loss as to why you are loosing
        your private profile information. At a guess I
        would say you have two files with the same name
        in a different location. Try the following:-

        a) If there is any file called "jeg.emf" in
        the main macros directory then delete them.
        The only file "jeg.emf", "jeg..." should be in
        your $HOME/.jasspa02 directory. (The supplied
        macro files should be installed read-only in
        /usr/local/microemacs).

        b) I assume your login name is "jeg" (or $LOGNAME)
        if this is not the case then set the environment
        variable $MENAME to be "jeg" in your .profile
        shell start up file.

        c) Make sure that you are not over-riding the
        default names in the "User-setup" window
        with something else.

        If your find any more problems then let us know
        and we will attempt to resolve them.