Re: [jasspa] a couple of simple(? and probably silly) questions
- Thanks much, Jon, and sorry. I did *not* read the release notes and,
in fact, started with my .erf file from me99, just like the notes
said not to do. mea culpa.
I eagerly await the new source. I have not built me from source before,
but have all the tools and will certainly give it a go.
As to the setup, I think I have done it correctly; looks functionally just
like yours (except that I use bash), and I have things in the right order:
but seemingly whenever I go to user-setup and actually *do* anything
at all, $HOME/.jasspa02/jeg.emf gets replaced by a trivial file of
the same name with a fancy header but with no content. ??
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Jon Green wrote:
> jegunn wrote:
> > Curioser and curioser. I was able to get rid of the underlining by turning
> > 'use-fonts' off in the user setup, which seemed to do nothing visible
> > except change $system from 30866 to 30850, which seemed to do nothing at
> > all when I had done it 'by hand' before. I incidentally have a *MAJOR*
> > unhappiness with user-setup; almost anything you do, even if it should not
> > touch user.emf, seems to wipe out your user.emf file with all your
> > carefully crafted macros and bindings. I am sure I am using it wrong, but
> > the documentation, while seemingly complete, is not much help in avoiding
> > this problem. I learned years ago just to keep it backed up and restore
> > it, but I wonder what the point of setting it up this way is.
> It sounds like your configuration is incorrect.
> Within your .zshenv/.cshrc/.profile add something
> like the following:-
> # Set up Microemacs
> export MEPATH
> Create the directory $(HOME)/.microemacs and place
> your local config files in here (<logname>.emf etc.)
> Logout/In or re-source the start-up script and
> it should then work OK. The path order is important
> here and your own directory should appear first in
> the list.
> With respect to fonts, my system setting is something
> like this (1600x1200 display) - values taken from the .erf
> file, no underline problems etc. I hope that you read
> the notes on the 12/02 release, you cannot move the
> .erf file between older releases, if you do then this
> causes problems (similar to the ones you describe).
> It should not be necessary to mess with the $system
> bits, the only time that I have ever needed to do this
> is with a problematic TTY console configuration, the
> rest of the time the user-setup is sufficient.
> Yep, there are some problems here on my Sun under Solaris.
> Just applying a fix now to use <X11/keysym.h> to perform
> the mapping. This should give a good translation into ME.
> I'll also test it under Linux (Slackware) and then push
> the fixes up onto jasspa.com. Note that this build will
> include a number of newer features as it comes from the
> top of the CVS development tree, but is stable. Will
> push early next week which will give me a chance to
> test it properly - I will assume that you can build
> from source - let me know if you want a binary image.
- jegunn wrote:
> Thanks much, Jon, and sorry. I did *not* read the release notes and,Jim,
> in fact, started with my .erf file from me99, just like the notes
> said not to do. mea culpa.
> I eagerly await the new source. I have not built me from source before,
> but have all the tools and will certainly give it a go.
> As to the setup, I think I have done it correctly; looks functionally just
> like yours (except that I use bash), and I have things in the right order:
> export MEPATH=$HOME/.jasspa02:/usr/local/jasspa02
> but seemingly whenever I go to user-setup and actually *do* anything
> at all, $HOME/.jasspa02/jeg.emf gets replaced by a trivial file of
> the same name with a fancy header but with no content. ??
> thanks much
I've uploaded a new build (with Linux executable) you
will find it at http://www.jasspa.com/experimental.html
This should fix the problems with the keypad also
you will get some new keys that were previously unmapped.
A bit of a larger job than I expected as my PC went
down and had to re-build a new PC - still gave me the
opportunity to upgrade to Linux Slackware 9.0.
I'm still at a loss as to why you are loosing
your private profile information. At a guess I
would say you have two files with the same name
in a different location. Try the following:-
a) If there is any file called "jeg.emf" in
the main macros directory then delete them.
The only file "jeg.emf", "jeg..." should be in
your $HOME/.jasspa02 directory. (The supplied
macro files should be installed read-only in
b) I assume your login name is "jeg" (or $LOGNAME)
if this is not the case then set the environment
variable $MENAME to be "jeg" in your .profile
shell start up file.
c) Make sure that you are not over-riding the
default names in the "User-setup" window
with something else.
If your find any more problems then let us know
and we will attempt to resolve them.