a couple of simple(? and probably silly) questions

  • jegunn
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
      I have been using me99 for several years under windoze, and have recently
      migrated to Linux. I just installed the Dec 2002 version, and have a
      couple of funny things which I do not understand and cannot find help for
      in the documentation. Could you give me a hand?

      1. The keypad is in numeric mode, even though the numlock light is off and
      it works properly in all other X applications. Turning ON the numlock
      makes it work properly in me, but only me. It is impossibly annoying to
      have to remember to put in into the `wrong' state for it to work. What can
      I do to make it work properly?

      2. Underlining seems to be permanently on. I am using a 12-point Lucida
      bold font, but the behavior is the same with the default or suggested
      font. The $system variable is 30866, but turning off the 0x10 bit (30850)
      does not change the behavior. What do I need to do?

      Thanks much in advance,

      jim gunn
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003

        The short term solution is for you to use translate-key for correct the problem, please see the docs on this command, there have also been some e-mail traffic through this group on how to usin this command. The long term solution is for us to reproduce and fix the issue.

        > 2. Underlining seems to be permanently on. I am using a
        > 12-point Lucida
        > bold font, but the behavior is the same with the default or suggested
        > font. The $system variable is 30866, but turning off the 0x10
        > bit (30850)
        > does not change the behavior. What do I need to do?

        This problem could be caused by one of two things:

        1) The found you are using is underlined, to find the name of the font being used use the main menus Help -> User Setup -> Platform -> Font Name (if this is blank then its using the ME default "-*-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-*-*-*-c-90-iso8859-1"). Try changing this to a known good font).

        2) The color scheme could use the underline style liberally, see Help -> Scheme Editor -> Schemes, change the 'U' column. If the underline is being used too much try a different scheme (such as Basic Black on Cream), set this in Help -> User Setup -> Platform -> Color Scheme.

        Steve

        > Thanks much in advance,
        >
        > jim gunn

        > ---------------------~-->
        > Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to
        > US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand:
        > HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/89EolB/TM
        > -------~->

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • jegunn
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
          Curioser and curioser. I was able to get rid of the underlining by turning
          'use-fonts' off in the user setup, which seemed to do nothing visible
          except change $system from 30866 to 30850, which seemed to do nothing at
          all when I had done it 'by hand' before. I incidentally have a *MAJOR*
          unhappiness with user-setup; almost anything you do, even if it should not
          touch user.emf, seems to wipe out your user.emf file with all your
          carefully crafted macros and bindings. I am sure I am using it wrong, but
          the documentation, while seemingly complete, is not much help in avoiding
          this problem. I learned years ago just to keep it backed up and restore
          it, but I wonder what the point of setting it up this way is.

          Anyway, one down.

          The keypad thing is a puzzle. I cannot, I think, use translate-key,
          because me thinks the keypad 7 is just a numeric 7, and if I translate
          7 to `home' it will translate both the keypad 7 and the top line 7 to
          home and I will have no `7' key *at all*. Or am I missing something??
          I do not understand how me subverts the X keyboard translation so
          thoroughly and neatly.

          I am using stock Redhat 8 on a Pentium IV machine with an ASUS P4B533-M
          motherboard, Intel 845 chipset; sorry I did not say before.

          Any ideas?

          thanks much, and thanks more for a really neat piece of code.

          --jim gunn

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
            jegunn wrote:
            > Curioser and curioser. I was able to get rid of the underlining by turning
            > 'use-fonts' off in the user setup, which seemed to do nothing visible
            > except change $system from 30866 to 30850, which seemed to do nothing at
            > all when I had done it 'by hand' before. I incidentally have a *MAJOR*
            > unhappiness with user-setup; almost anything you do, even if it should not
            > touch user.emf, seems to wipe out your user.emf file with all your
            > carefully crafted macros and bindings. I am sure I am using it wrong, but
            > the documentation, while seemingly complete, is not much help in avoiding
            > this problem. I learned years ago just to keep it backed up and restore
            > it, but I wonder what the point of setting it up this way is.

            It sounds like your configuration is incorrect.
            Within your .zshenv/.cshrc/.profile add something
            like the following:-

            #
            # Set up Microemacs
            #
            MEPATH=$HOME/.microemacs:/opt/jasspa/company:/opt/jasspa/macros:/opt/jasspa/spelling
            export MEPATH

            Create the directory $(HOME)/.microemacs and place
            your local config files in here (<logname>.emf etc.)
            Logout/In or re-source the start-up script and
            it should then work OK. The path order is important
            here and your own directory should appear first in
            the list.

            With respect to fonts, my system setting is something
            like this (1600x1200 display) - values taken from the .erf
            file, no underline problems etc. I hope that you read
            the notes on the 12/02 release, you cannot move the
            .erf file between older releases, if you do then this
            causes problems (similar to the ones you describe).
            It should not be necessary to mess with the $system
            bits, the only time that I have ever needed to do this
            is with a problematic TTY console configuration, the
            rest of the time the user-setup is sufficient.

            // Sun Solaris

            "sunos" {
            "ext-char-set" = "1"
            "fence" = "4"
            "file-ignore" = "~ ./"
            "font" = "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-m-*-*-*"
            "scheme" = "schemebh"
            "scroll-bar" = "0x1be"
            "system" = "252050"
            "toolbar" = "1"
            }

            // Linux X-Windows

            "linux" {
            "blink" = "750"
            "ext-char-set" = "1"
            "fence" = "2"
            "file-ignore" = "~ ./"
            "font" = "-*-clean-medium-r-*-*-*-130-*-*-*-*-*-*"
            "scheme" = "schemesf"
            "scroll" = "17"
            "scroll-bar" = "0x1bf"
            "toolbar" = "1"
            }

            // Linux Console

            "linuxc" {
            "system" = "30869"
            }

            > Anyway, one down.
            >
            > The keypad thing is a puzzle. I cannot, I think, use translate-key,
            > because me thinks the keypad 7 is just a numeric 7, and if I translate
            > 7 to `home' it will translate both the keypad 7 and the top line 7 to
            > home and I will have no `7' key *at all*. Or am I missing something??
            > I do not understand how me subverts the X keyboard translation so
            > thoroughly and neatly.
            >
            > I am using stock Redhat 8 on a Pentium IV machine with an ASUS P4B533-M
            > motherboard, Intel 845 chipset; sorry I did not say before.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > thanks much, and thanks more for a really neat piece of code.

            Yep, there are some problems here on my Sun under Solaris.
            Just applying a fix now to use <X11/keysym.h> to perform
            the mapping. This should give a good translation into ME.
            I'll also test it under Linux (Slackware) and then push
            the fixes up onto jasspa.com. Note that this build will
            include a number of newer features as it comes from the
            top of the CVS development tree, but is stable. Will
            push early next week which will give me a chance to
            test it properly - I will assume that you can build
            from source - let me know if you want a binary image.

            <SNIP>
          • jegunn
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
              Thanks much, Jon, and sorry. I did *not* read the release notes and,
              in fact, started with my .erf file from me99, just like the notes
              said not to do. mea culpa.

              I eagerly await the new source. I have not built me from source before,
              but have all the tools and will certainly give it a go.

              As to the setup, I think I have done it correctly; looks functionally just
              like yours (except that I use bash), and I have things in the right order:

              export MEPATH=$HOME/.jasspa02:/usr/local/jasspa02

              but seemingly whenever I go to user-setup and actually *do* anything
              at all, $HOME/.jasspa02/jeg.emf gets replaced by a trivial file of
              the same name with a fancy header but with no content. ??

              thanks much

              --jim

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2003
                jegunn wrote:
                > Thanks much, Jon, and sorry. I did *not* read the release notes and,
                > in fact, started with my .erf file from me99, just like the notes
                > said not to do. mea culpa.
                >
                > I eagerly await the new source. I have not built me from source before,
                > but have all the tools and will certainly give it a go.
                >
                > As to the setup, I think I have done it correctly; looks functionally just
                > like yours (except that I use bash), and I have things in the right order:
                >
                > export MEPATH=$HOME/.jasspa02:/usr/local/jasspa02
                >
                > but seemingly whenever I go to user-setup and actually *do* anything
                > at all, $HOME/.jasspa02/jeg.emf gets replaced by a trivial file of
                > the same name with a fancy header but with no content. ??
                >
                > thanks much
                >
                > --jim

                Jim,

                I've uploaded a new build (with Linux executable) you
                will find it at http://www.jasspa.com/experimental.html
                This should fix the problems with the keypad also
                you will get some new keys that were previously unmapped.

                A bit of a larger job than I expected as my PC went
                down and had to re-build a new PC - still gave me the
                opportunity to upgrade to Linux Slackware 9.0.

                I'm still at a loss as to why you are loosing
                your private profile information. At a guess I
                would say you have two files with the same name
                in a different location. Try the following:-

                a) If there is any file called "jeg.emf" in
                the main macros directory then delete them.
                The only file "jeg.emf", "jeg..." should be in
                your $HOME/.jasspa02 directory. (The supplied
                macro files should be installed read-only in
                /usr/local/microemacs).

                b) I assume your login name is "jeg" (or $LOGNAME)
                if this is not the case then set the environment
                variable $MENAME to be "jeg" in your .profile
                shell start up file.

                c) Make sure that you are not over-riding the
                default names in the "User-setup" window
                with something else.

                If your find any more problems then let us know
                and we will attempt to resolve them.