new install question

  • psventek
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
      Just installed microemacs on my new pc. When I launch me from the
      desktop icon, the file that is automatically loaded is my user emf
      macro file. On all the other machines I've loaded me on, when I launch
      me, I get the me help file (the one with the htmlized help
      selections). I'd like to get that help file on the new machine, too.
      Must be easy to do that, but how?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
        Does 'esc ?' (or 'esc x help') work? This should bring up the on-line help pages. If not is it most likely that you have not installed the on-line help, this can be verified by looking for the me.ehf file in the macros directory. You can get this file either from you other machines or from the web-site (Downloads -> me.ehf.gz or meehf.zip).

        If this does work then the most likely reason for the help page not automatically coming up is because you have created a proper user setup (i.e. you have a psventek.erf user setup file). The assumption is that a user familiar enough with ME to do this does not want the start-up of ME slowed down every time by the load of the 1.5Mb on-line help! The other reason why the on-line help my not be auto loaded is if a file name was given on the command-line (or double clicking on a file in explorer etc).

        Hope this answers your query,

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • psventek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
          Steven,

          > Does 'esc ?' (or 'esc x help') work? This should bring up the
          on-line >help pages.

          Yes it does, this is the window I want to come up when I d\double
          click the me32 icon to fire up the editor.

          >If not is it most likely that you have not installed the on-line
          >help, this can be verified by looking for the me.ehf file in the
          >macros directory.

          Yes, this file exists in the macros directory.

          > If this does work then the most likely reason for the help page not
          >automatically coming up is because you have created a proper user
          >setup >(i.e. you have a psventek.erf user setup file).

          Yes, I have a "psventek.erf" file in the macros directory (but even
          when I remove it, I still get the psventek.emf file in the me32 window
          when I fire the editor up). Is there a line in the psventek.erf file I
          can put the name of the *help* file in to get this file to load first
          time?!
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2003
            I need to understand the problem first, the mail below suggests that the file psventek.emf is being loaded and displayed, why? I'm guessing that this is caused by either your short-cut having the emf file on the command-line (i.e. "me32 psventek.emf" instead of just "me32") or your psventek.emf file is being executed and it has an error in it (ME will then display the file and set the cursor to the point of the error). The first is most likely as having removed psventek.erf it should not be executing psventek.emf.

            If you can stop psventek.emf being automatically loaded you will either get the "*scratch*" or the "*help*" buffer displayed, if its the *scratch* buffer, you have a valid user setup and you need to add the following to your psventek.emf start-up file (taken from the top of me.emf):

            define-macro start-up
            !if &seq $buffer-bname "*scratch*"
            help
            delete-window

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2003
              Steven,

              > I need to understand the problem first, the mail below suggests that
              the file psventek.emf is being loaded and displayed, why?

              > If you can stop psventek.emf being automatically loaded...

              When I look into the properties window of the me32 icon on my desktop,
              it says:

              Target: "C\Program Files\JASSPA\MicroEmacs\me32.exe" -c

              On a lark, I removed the -c tag.

              When I click on the me32 icon now, MicroEmacs behaves properly; I get
              the help window.