[jasspa] request for help file changes

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
      I think it would be a Good Idea to have a Help>Functions page.

      I often have to look up the documentation for a function. To get there, I have to do Help>General Help and then click on Macro Development, and then go down the list. This is very nonintuitive -- I'm programmed to look for "functions" (like in the documentation for every other computer language I've ever used).

      What would also be good is a comprehensive index. There must be some programs out there to pull out a list of keywords from a set of html or text files. (The old Unix manuals had a permuted index, which pulled out a keyword and a few more following words from each line in which it occurred. This was pretty slick. There must be code out there to generate this! Probably in the comp.sources.unix archives.)

      Thanks for your consideration.

      -Th
    • Detlef Groth
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
        At 10:32 01.10.99 -0700, you wrote:
        >I think it would be a Good Idea to have a Help>Functions page.
        >
        >I often have to look up the documentation for a function. To get there, I have to do Help>General Help and then click on Macro Development, and then go down the list. This is very nonintuitive -- I'm programmed to look for "functions" (like in the documentation for every other computer language I've ever used).
        >
        >What would also be good is a comprehensive index. There must be some programs out there to pull out a list of keywords from a set of html or text files. (The old Unix manuals had a permuted index, which pulled out a keyword and a few more following words from each line in which it occurred. This was pretty slick. There must be code out there to generate this! Probably in the comp.sources.unix archives.)
        >
        >Thanks for your consideration.

        I'am using for these reasons a selfcompiled me.chm file, which is the compressed html-documentation, requiring IE 4.0 and Win9x (Sorry!) I think, that this HTML-Help-System allows better searches (AND, OR etc.) and has a separate header and favorites menu. So "A-s" and par example "latex" and "ENTER" shows you what you want.
        Faster it should not be possible.

        If you - or others - are interested, I can give you the opportunity to download the file from the www. (721 kb, includes already the index and it is not zipped - zipping can not further reduce the filesize).

        Any suggestions for better organization of the Contents-Browser and problem reports are welcome.

        I hope the file can be downloaded here:

        http://www.xdrive.com/share/?WSZwEHecoxgsihS4xYJTCTHvVtsS1qym

        If you have any problems mail me directly:

        dgroth@...

        Best regards,

        Detlef
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
          This works very well. Pity that it is Microsoft only !!
          (I'm no fan of Microsoft I'm afraid).

          I'm not sure what else we can do for pre-generated
          documentation (i.e. all of the pages are static and
          self contained) unless we pick a number of keywords and
          start generating an index - this does not appear to
          be the best way of going about things because we
          will not get the required coverage.

          I guess a search engine in ME might do the trick. This
          would be a search through the help file and find all
          of the referencing pages - scoring is difficult unless you
          just do it on a count - this would probably work.

          Something to think about later .....

          Detlef has presented a good solution in the interim for
          Windows. I'm not sure how he generated it though !

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
            There is a search engine! "Apropos" (^H-a)! I use it all the time, but it doesn't cover functions and variables, only commands.

            -Th

            [Jon Green 07:54 PM 10/7/99 +0100]

          • bill@jasspa.freeserve.co.uk
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
              The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
              all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface
              but it works. And while we're at it I don't see why you can't search for
              "^!...&" to find all the &???? functions and generate a list which you can
              shove into an osd dialog and there you have it!

              The only downer to this is you will probably end up with two copies of me.ehf
              loaded, one internal and one external. So I'm tempted to change the help
              slightly and make the internal loaded version visible and then theres no
              problem.

              I think this would be fast enough to be useful, a general search tool could be
              wrapped in etc. I'm amazed at how easy this stuff is when you think about it
              in the right way.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
                Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one development machine.

                Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.

                -Th

                |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
                |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface
              • Steven Phillips,,,
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 1999
                  The me.ehf file contains all the on-line help, which is used be all the ME
                  help commands such as help-*, command-apropros etc. with out this file these
                  commands will not work. (Should complain that the on-line help is not found)

                  On the subject of the fill-paragraph and ifill-paragraph you may not need the
                  wrapper command. I would imagine that you mainly use the command using the
                  "esc q" or "esc o" key bindings. To fix these bindings to work as you prefer
                  simply re-bind them to have a numerical argument, i.e.:

                  1 global-bind-key ifill-paragraph "esc q"

                  Steve

                  > Subject: [jasspa] Re: request for help file changes
                  > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                  > Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:46:26 -0700
                  > To: jasspa@egroups.com
                  >
                  > Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file
                  > that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one
                  > development machine.
                  >
                  > Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.
                  >
                  > -Th
                  >

                  > |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
                  > |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest
                  > interface

                  > Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
                  > Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
                  > Learn2 Negotiate a Raise. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965

                • Jonathan Naughton-Green
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 1999
                    me.ehf is the internal help file so when you do "M-x help" then this is
                    where it gets it's information from. The content is exactly the same
                    as the HTML/winhelp files - this is what I typically use. I never use
                    the other formats.

                    If you have moved it somewhere else and it still works, then this is
                    either still in the search path or there is another copy of it
                    somewhere in the system - an old release perhaps ??

                    It is big (1MB), so there is no point in having multiple copies of this
                    floating around. If you remove it all together no harm will come, you
                    just will not get any help within the context of the editor.

                    Saving more space
                    -----------------
                    If you are short of space and do not need spelling you can also remove
                    all of the dictionary files (.edf), these again are large.

                    Jon.

                    Thomas Hundt wrote:

                    > Aha... I was just going to ask about that. Namely: What is this 1MB .ehf file that doesn't seem to do anything. We're running low on diskspace on this one development machine.
                    >
                    > Is it ever used? I moved mine somewhere else and stuff still works.
                    >
                    > -Th
                    >
                    > |The quick and dirty solution to this problem it to load up me.ehf (contains
                    > |all the on-line help in one file) and search in that. Not the nicest interface

                    > Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
                    > Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
                    > Learn2 Negotiate a Raise. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965

                    Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

                    SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
                    The Communication Centre
                    South Street
                    Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
                    MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
                    TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
                    England Email (home): jon@...
                  • Detlef Groth
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 11, 1999
                      At 19:54 07.10.99 +0100, you wrote:
                      >This works very well. Pity that it is Microsoft only !!
                      >(I'm no fan of Microsoft I'm afraid).
                      >
                      >I'm not sure what else we can do for pre-generated
                      >documentation (i.e. all of the pages are static and
                      >self contained) unless we pick a number of keywords and
                      >start generating an index - this does not appear to
                      >be the best way of going about things because we
                      >will not get the required coverage.
                      >
                      >I guess a search engine in ME might do the trick. This
                      >would be a search through the help file and find all
                      >of the referencing pages - scoring is difficult unless you
                      >just do it on a count - this would probably work.
                      >
                      >Something to think about later .....
                      >
                      >Detlef has presented a good solution in the interim for
                      >Windows. I'm not sure how he generated it though !
                      >
                      >Regards
                      >Jon.

                      I was generating it with the HTML-Help-Workshop and with the hhc-compiler from MS. The next html-help-files from the next Me-release will be processed again to the chm-Format. I found it quite boring to scroll so much through the help-files. Although it is MS...

                      best regards,
                      Detlef