User setup wipeout and newline

  • hangfirew8 <hangfirew8@netscape.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2003
      Hi,

      I'm a long-time 3.10 user getting used to ue '02. It's nice to have
      something familiar (sort of) for Windoze 2K. I have a couple of
      questions though...

      After successfully making a few customizations to my <user>.emf, I
      played with the menu based setup and later found my .emf file wiped
      out (empty of all my changes). The tilde backup file was the same. It
      might have been trying to set 3.8 compatibility. It may have been my
      mistake but I dislike programs that destroy user effort without
      comment. Is there any way to avoid this (other than backup files?)

      The other question I have is about insert-newline, C-o. It seems to
      work just like C-m "newline". That is, it leaves the cursor on the
      newline, not at point like an "insert" function should. Since it
      works just like C-m "newline" I don't see the point in having it. I
      guess I could replace it with a macro that did a newline and then
      went back a char. But I'm curious, what's the point of having it work
      like it does?

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2003
        hangfirew8 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm a long-time 3.10 user getting used to ue '02. It's nice to have
        > something familiar (sort of) for Windoze 2K. I have a couple of
        > questions though...
        >
        > After successfully making a few customizations to my <user>.emf, I
        > played with the menu based setup and later found my .emf file wiped
        > out (empty of all my changes). The tilde backup file was the same. It
        > might have been trying to set 3.8 compatibility. It may have been my
        > mistake but I dislike programs that destroy user effort without
        > comment. Is there any way to avoid this (other than backup files?)

        Sounds like a problem with the setup script - will try to re-create
        and rectify using your guidelines above. I have not heard of this
        problem. If you are running on Windows then it is best if you
        create a directory <username> in
        "c:/Program Files/Jasspa/MicroEmacs/" your "<username>.emf"
        then lives in this directory. But I agree with you - you should not
        loose any information.

        > The other question I have is about insert-newline, C-o. It seems to
        > work just like C-m "newline". That is, it leaves the cursor on the
        > newline, not at point like an "insert" function should. Since it
        > works just like C-m "newline" I don't see the point in having it. I
        > guess I could replace it with a macro that did a newline and then
        > went back a char. But I'm curious, what's the point of having it work
        > like it does?

        You have found a bug. The operation that you describe is exactly what
        it should do ! Will need to look at this as well.

        > Thanks.

        We have not got off to a very good start have we - which is a bit
        embarrassing ! Hopefully you will keep going, it should be worth
        your while. We would be very interested in other discrepancies that
        you find between the original MicroEmacs and this one, it has been
        15 years since I used the 'original' MicroEmacs with vengeance so
        a new user who is now making that transition will be able to quickly
        spot discrepancies and differences in the editor which is very useful.
        In some cases we may have made a conscious decision to make a change
        (i.e. the command line search is now incremental) in other cases
        (i.e. your C-o) then we may have simply lost the plot !

        Appreciate your comments and any others that you may have on
        the transition. We will release a patch for any problems that we
        fix.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2003
          hangfirew8 wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm a long-time 3.10 user getting used to ue '02. It's nice to have
          > something familiar (sort of) for Windoze 2K. I have a couple of
          > questions though...
          >
          > After successfully making a few customizations to my <user>.emf, I
          > played with the menu based setup and later found my .emf file wiped
          > out (empty of all my changes). The tilde backup file was the same. It
          > might have been trying to set 3.8 compatibility. It may have been my
          > mistake but I dislike programs that destroy user effort without
          > comment. Is there any way to avoid this (other than backup files?)
          >
          > The other question I have is about insert-newline, C-o. It seems to
          > work just like C-m "newline". That is, it leaves the cursor on the
          > newline, not at point like an "insert" function should. Since it
          > works just like C-m "newline" I don't see the point in having it. I
          > guess I could replace it with a macro that did a newline and then
          > went back a char. But I'm curious, what's the point of having it work
          > like it does?

          Add the following to your <user>.emf to fix the
          C-o problem, will accept numeric argument for
          a number of lines as well.

          ; Fix C-o to insert a new line and keep
          ; cursor at same position.
          define-macro my-insert-line